The Student Room Group

Electron Diffraction help.

Hey,

i have got trouble with this :frown: could people please help me?

I need 4 observations and 4 explanations that happen as a result of electron diffraction... at a graphite target etc going to a screen :biggrin:

1 - Dark and bright rings
2 - As V increases, brighter light
3 - As V increases, larger diameter rings
4 - As slit spacing in graphite decreases, larger diameter rings..

Do you think these 4 are all valid obsersations?

Then for another 4 marks i need the explanations using quantum.

1 - I thought it was to do with interference...but the mark scheme said, NOT wave interference, and left it at that... so what do you think it is?

2 - I used the f = E (kin) / h (planks) , a higher voltage = higher velocity = higher Kin energy, = Higher frequency = more light emitted - I think this is correct.

3 - As V increases, h / mv (momentum) = L (wavelength) As V increases, wavelength decreases, which means it gets diffracted less which means larger diameter rings?? (not sure :frown: )

4 - x = L*L(wavelenght * length) / d (slit spacing)

as D increases, x decreases, so the diamater is increased?

Could you PLEASE help me with the exaplanations / observations?

I think the observations are all valid?? could you help me explain them, as i had but preferably correctly haha, ive searched loads on internet etc, i just been getting reallly confused, thanks SO much.
Reply 1
I'd be the happiest person if some one could help me :frown:
Reply 2
anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 3
:frown: hopefully some one will know hehe
Reply 4
i hope to find out soon..
haha :biggrin: if some one knows i bet of them to help me :biggrin: i think the observations are correct...cause we were told them (if i remember correctly) just the explanations :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 5
:frown: still no one, :biggrin:

Latest