The Student Room Group

Making Notes In Anthology.

Right, as the English Literature exam is on Tuesday, where I have the rest of today, half of tomorrow (Quick cram for Math's exam) and on Monday after the exam to revise. Do you consider it a waste of time to copy the notes for the remaining 9 poems, or just print them off bitesize. The advantages of copying them into my anthology is that I can base them around my notes, so will be easier to know what i'm/bbc bitesize is talking about?
Its because I also have to revise for 'Mice and Men' also, and I do not have much longer left to revise. Ideally he would have started earlier (but everyone says that :p:), like between the Easter Holidays and now as I have failed to retain anything from when I revised during the Easter break.
Thanks for any advice. :smile:
theyll replace your anthology (i.e. give you a clean one) for the exam :|
trance addict
theyll replace your anthology (i.e. give you a clean one) for the exam :|

it depends on the school. we didn't get a clean one, they just checked for notes - if you had notes then you didn't get a book :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Yes, I know they will give me a new anthology, pretty obvious. :p: But, I mean to revise from.
Reply 4
123mccann
Right, as the English Literature exam is on Tuesday, where I have the rest of today, half of tomorrow (Quick cram for Math's exam) and on Monday after the exam to revise. Do you consider it a waste of time to copy the notes for the remaining 9 poems, or just print them off bitesize. The advantages of copying them into my anthology is that I can base them around my notes, so will be easier to know what i'm/bbc bitesize is talking about?
Its because I also have to revise for 'Mice and Men' also, and I do not have much longer left to revise. Ideally he would have started earlier (but everyone says that :p:), like between the Easter Holidays and now as I have failed to retain anything from when I revised during the Easter break.
Thanks for any advice. :smile:

You can use bitesize but don't base your entire revision notes on them because I don't think they'll give you the best grade possible.
Why don't you use the notes off bitesize and your own notes and incorporate them into your anthology. It's worth it.
Reply 5
It depends how best you revise. I did exactly what you're thinking of doing - copied up all my notes into a clean Anthology so they were neat and colour-coded for different things eg language, content, links to other poems.

I found it really helpful because I learn by writing out stuff and reading it afterward, so if you're like me, its definitely worth a shot! Also, if you have any younger siblings or friends you can give them a nice neat well ordered copy for when its their turn :smile:
Reply 6
Oh, notes from here:

http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/

are absolutely brilliant, a lot more in depth and insightful than Bitesize. More likely to get a higher grade with these, especially if some of the ideas inspire your own.
I don't know - the part on "Of Mice And Men" is worth 27 marks, but the poems are worth 36. Personally I'd speed-read OMAM or print off a synopsis, and revise the poems.

It might be better to abandon the Anthology and make revision cards of themes etc. to take to the exam room and bin at the last minute. You won't get to keep your Anthology, so copying stuff into it seems a bit pointless :s-smilie:

Hope this helps.

I'm doing it on Tuesday too - good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Meeegan
You can use bitesize but don't base your entire revision notes on them because I don't think they'll give you the best grade possible.
Why don't you use the notes off bitesize and your own notes and incorporate them into your anthology. It's worth it.

Yes, I have got my own notes also, i'm just using note off Bitesize to include anything I have missed out.

'scaryhair'
Also, if you have any younger siblings or friends you can give them a nice neat well ordered copy for when its their turn. :smile:

Nah, I have two younger sisters but, if I did that they would have a much better chance of getting better grades than what I did. So, cannot happen. :p:

'scaryhair'
Oh, notes from here:

http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/

are absolutely brilliant, a lot more in depth and insightful than Bitesize. More likely to get a higher grade with these, especially if some of the ideas inspire your own.

Thanks, I will take a look. You have been very helpful. :biggrin:
Would give rep. but has already been given for today, sorry.
Reply 9
Does anyone know what the 12 core poems are for Simon Armitage and Carol Ann Duffy please? :smile:
Muppety_Kid
I don't know - the part on "Of Mice And Men" is worth 27 marks, but the poems are worth 36. Personally I'd speed-read OMAM or print off a synopsis, and revise the poems.

It might be better to abandon the Anthology and make revision cards of themes etc. to take to the exam room and bin at the last minute. You won't get to keep your Anthology, so copying stuff into it seems a bit pointless :s-smilie:

Hope this helps.

I'm doing it on Tuesday too - good luck! :smile:

Read OMAM this morning, I read quicker than I had expected. Yer, my teacher gave us a photocopy of someone else's notes on OMAM and they are so in depth, consist of about 6 A3 pages. I will be doing OMAM tomorrow, and the Poems today & Monday. Do you think that would still be enough to get my A*. :biggrin:
123mccann
Read OMAM this morning, I read quicker than I had expected. Yer, my teacher gave us a photocopy of someone else's notes on OMAM and they are so in depth, consist of about 6 A3 pages. I will be doing OMAM tomorrow, and the Poems today & Monday. Do you think that would still be enough to get my A*. :biggrin:

How many times have you read the novel? I've read it twice and I'm finding as long as I've got a rough idea of the plot, I seem to be OK in answering most questions (the ones where they give you an extract are all right, but then you're limited in what you can talk about :frown:).

Which poems are you doing? I'd spend the rest of today on the other cultures ones since there's nothing too hard there (we're doing cluster 1), and probably tomorrow on the others (Heaney & Clarke - Heaney's are so...:banghead:). Do OMAM if you get chance on Monday. I think it's a bit waffly (sorry Steinbeck) so you can kinda ramble on with rough details and the odd quotation and still do OK.

Unbelievably (you probably know - I'm sure it's you who started the other thread on this) we're STILL not on study leave! My exams will be over before it starts, but at least I can help you plan your revision :smile:
I think they're: Havisham, Anne Hathaway, Before You Were Mine, Education for Leisure, Mother any Distance, Homecoming, Kid, Hitcher, On my First Sonne, Sonnet 130, My Last Duchess and the Laboratory, but not 100% sure

I'm writing out each poem again on A4 in black ink then annotating each one in different coloured pens, consolidating notes from my own anthology, CGP revision guide and York Notes. It is quite time consuming, and I'm worried I'm neglecting Lord of the Flies/other subjects, but it really does help to do it and get the poems and analysis in your head even if you don't look over them much.
Muppety_Kid
How many times have you read the novel? I've read it twice and I'm finding as long as I've got a rough idea of the plot, I seem to be OK in answering most questions (the ones where they give you an extract are all right, but then you're limited in what you can talk about :frown:).

Which poems are you doing? I'd spend the rest of today on the other cultures ones since there's nothing too hard there (we're doing cluster 1), and probably tomorrow on the others (Heaney & Clarke - Heaney's are so...:banghead:). Do OMAM if you get chance on Monday. I think it's a bit waffly (sorry Steinbeck) so you can kinda ramble on with rough details and the odd quotation and still do OK.

Unbelievably (you probably know - I'm sure it's you who started the other thread on this) we're STILL not on study leave! My exams will be over before it starts, but at least I can help you plan your revision :smile:

Poetry from other cultures is on Language Paper 2 not Lit- it's either Duffy, Armitage and pre-1914 poems or Heaney, Clarke and pre-1914 poems for Lit.
lil_miss_rapunzel
Poetry from other cultures is on Language Paper 2 not Lit- it's either Duffy, Armitage and pre-1914 poems or Heaney, Clarke and pre-1914 poems for Lit.

Oh yeah :s-smilie: but still, you'll need to revise them at some point - better sooner rather than later! :smile:
lol I suppose so, just wanted to make sure you knew that they weren't Lit and you weren't going to go in comparing a Heaney poem with a culture poem or something lol :tongue:
The 'Poems from other cultures' poems I find are much easier than the Literature ones, for the PFOC you just really have to know what alliteration, metaphor, similie, onomatopoeia, repetition and assinance are, excuse me if I missed any of the terms out. :p:

'Muppety_Kid'
Do OMAM if you get chance on Monday. I think it's a bit waffly (sorry Steinbeck) so you can kinda ramble on with rough details and the odd quotation and still do OK.

Unbelievably (you probably know - I'm sure it's you who started the other thread on this) we're STILL not on study leave! My exams will be over before it starts, but at least I can help you plan your revision

Why do you suggest doing it on Monday rather than tomorrow?
That must suck, at my school the teachers suggested who should go on Study leave and who should not and then your parent made the final decision. Except for the worst kids they had to stay at least until Half term, no matter what there parents had decided.
And, thanks for the offer. :biggrin:
For English lit i did flash cards on themes and poetic devices in each poem. Really helped, i'd definitely recommend it.
Reply 18
I hate doing innovative and creative revision like flash cards and stuff lol (mainly cause I'm lazy :smile:) I don't know if it would help because I've never tried, but I just feel like if I can't understand poems from just reading them and reading the notes/themes, then I'm never going to understand them.
The other day I copied up loads of notes into my anthology from my CGP poem book, bitesize website and the universalteacher.co.uk. My anthology is really messy, but I'll just hope for the best :biggrin:
Also the day before the exam I may write up the main points/messages/tones/themes of each poem.
123mccann
The 'Poems from other cultures' poems I find are much easier than the Literature ones, for the PFOC you just really have to know what alliteration, metaphor, similie, onomatopoeia, repetition and assinance are, excuse me if I missed any of the terms out. :p:

Why do you suggest doing it on Monday rather than tomorrow?

I suggest doing it on Monday because as someone from another thread said "it's the sort of exam you can eloquently bull **** your way through". I don't think you realy need to have read the novel if you're god at analysing the passage they give you on the day (I'm not advocating this though!), just stick in a few quotes ("that ain't no good" couldcome from just about anywhere in the book :wink:). However, since you'll have to compare four poems in an hour, one of which will be named, I think you time will be better spent on the poetry.

There is method in my madness! :jester:

12mccann
That must suck, at my school the teachers suggested who should go on Study leave and who should not and then your parent made the final decision. Except for the worst kids they had to stay at least until Half term, no matter what there parents had decided.
And, thanks for the offer. :biggrin:

Never mind "suck" - to avoid the chaos that inevitably ensues, they haven't told us when it is yet! None of the staff know either :eek:

Latest