The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What do you mean by playscheme, do you mean like a holiday club?
Reply 2
sorry, i mean a child's playscheme (5-10 years old) organised by my local council that runs for 5 weeks in different schools/community centres.
Reply 3
Just as a guess then, they'll probably want to find out more about you, and see the sort of person that you are. I doubt it will be too formal. They might ask you in for a couple of trial shifts in order to see how you interact with the children and the other staff. Don't know about pay in a council run scheme, but I get £5.75 at a privately run after-school/holiday club
Any childcare job outside teaching is notoriously badly paid. :P Just to warn you. Many nursery nurses work for under minimum wage. Also, be prepared to pay around £40 for a CRB Clearance.
Reply 5
Spotty Dog
Any childcare job outside teaching is notoriously badly paid. :P Just to warn you. Many nursery nurses work for under minimum wage. Also, be prepared to pay around £40 for a CRB Clearance.

I'm paid over the minimum wage, and I'm an unqualified member of staff. And I've never had to pay for my disclosure, as that is the responsibility of the company/organisation I'm working for
Reply 6
I work for the council (at a library) and I did not have to pay for my CRB.
Alex L
I'm paid over the minimum wage, and I'm an unqualified member of staff. And I've never had to pay for my disclosure, as that is the responsibility of the company/organisation I'm working for

Some organisations demand you pay; The nursery I'm at at the moment charges their staff, and a note on my application for playsceme assistant said I would have to fork out. I also had to pay for college and will have to pay for uni. :P Was just warning OP!
Reply 8
Spotty Dog
Some organisations demand you pay; The nursery I'm at at the moment charges their staff, and a note on my application for playsceme assistant said I would have to fork out. I also had to pay for college and will have to pay for uni. :P Was just warning OP!

In which case you're definitely at the wrong places :p:. Having to pay up for your CRB is harsh. Do you have to pay for the renewal after 3 years or does the company cover that after you've been with them for that period of time?
Alex L
In which case you're definitely at the wrong places :p:. Having to pay up for your CRB is harsh. Do you have to pay for the renewal after 3 years or does the company cover that after you've been with them for that period of time?

Well the ones for the college and the uni won't expire with my time during them. The nursery does demand, I don't know about the playscheme. I guess it depends whether the company can afford to pay it out of their pocket or not; The nursery is only one building emplying 11 members of staff; 11 £40's are over £400, that's a lot to pay for a small standalone organisation, you know? xD
You still might not have to pay for a repeat disclosure I guess, OFSTED don't actually require it to be renewed unless there is reason to suspect something may have occurred since the initial disclosure. Luckily I don't have to pay for my uni disclosure either though
I had a playscheme interview last week. They just ask you questions like, when planning activities for the day what issues would you consider? You have half an hour before the children arrive and after they leave. What would you do in this time? Its pretty straight forward. They will deffinately ask you why you want the job aswell. Good luck
Reply 12
thank you for all the replies, its been really helpful. i don't mind having to pay for the CRB check but i guess that if i get the job then i could easily make up the money lost. :smile:
when i had an interview in Easter, there was 5 of us and they got us to fill in forms
and then go one at a time to the other side of the room to discuss our experience etc
i never got the job :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending