The Student Room Group
Intégration:

Nourriture: Couscous est le plat préféré en France - ce montre comment les cultures différentes peuvent etre intégrés dans une société moderne, et comment la France peut bénéficier des immigrés

Musique - le succès des groupes comme IAM, NTM et MC Solaar

Sport - Thierry Henri - "Lève-toi, parles-en"
- Zinédine Zidane - L'Homme de L'Année en 2004
- Lilian Thuram

Cinéma - Films d'origine étrangère
- "Indigènes" - il a changé la politique en France, parce qu'il a montré les injustices pour les soldats Algériens pendant la Guerre.
- Le succès des réalisateurs d'origine Maghrébine - Merzak Allouache avec "Salut Cousin", Michel Ocelot avec "Azur et Asmar".

Exclusion:

Logement: les cités banlieues - il y a une manque d'infrastructure sociale pour les immigrés dans les cités, parce qu'ils ne sont pas près du centre-ville, et il n'y a pas beaucoup pour faire.
Clichy sous Bois - une cité banlieue, ou 2 adolescents était tués après ils étaient suivis par la police.
ZUS - Zone Urbaine Sensible

Discrimination: SOS Racisme avec leur "Opération Testing" a montré le "racisme caché" - au CV, boites de nuit etc.
L'interdiction du foulard - Février 2004

Représentation - les immigrés sont peu représentés en France.
(Cependant, Sarkosy est d'origine étrangère, et maintenant le ministre de justice est d'origine algérien.)

There's probably more, but that's all I can remember without my notes at the moment.
:smile:

GL
Reply 2
Thanks for those gemma louise... extremely helpful. Gd luck with all your exams!
Reply 3
Could anyone give me some good definitions of terms that we're supposed to put in our intro e.g. multiculturalism, integration etc.
Thanks
Reply 4
mindy123
Could anyone give me some good definitions of terms that we're supposed to put in our intro e.g. multiculturalism, integration etc.
Thanks

Ditto, please!

Also, in the introduction, is it a good idea to say e.g. "Firstly I shall look at the aspects of multiculturalism that I find positive, then afterwards I shall examine some consequences of France's multicultural society. Finally I will weigh up the advantages and disadvantages, giving my opinion to conclude" Or are you not meant to describe the course your essay will take? Is it better to describe the history or to say there are various (dis)advantages?
Reply 5
Hey estrella88,

It's definately good to have a solid plan in your introduction, but you don't necessarily need to say it explicitly:

"There are various aspects of multiculturalism that are positive, but there are also consequences to France's multicultural society."
...has the same effect, but gets straight into it. You can then use leading sentences to give a solid outline to your argument:

Let us first consider the advantages: France has...
despite all the positives....
overall, the conclusion I/one would draw is that...

Your examiner will expect you to present both sides of an argument (if asked for), and definatley sum it up, so you don't need to tell him that in your essay!

the history/other side thing? - answer the question!. If explaining the history is relevant to your argument, do it, but say why it is relevant. If you are only asked on the positives, slide the negatives in as part of your argument. "despite the fact that Laicite (scuse the accents) could be seen as denying people freedom of expression, one could say it makes everyone equal and prevents discrimination. this is shown by..."

Or something like that! Sorry about the slightly stressy style but I sound really fussy when I write impersonally. (inpersonally/impersonally?)

Good luck with your exam and hope it helps x
Reply 6
Hey curly anna, do you know how to say that introductory line you gave in your post in French:"There are various aspects of multiculturalism that are positive, but there are also consequences to France's multicultural society."
Thanks
Reply 7
Moi, je dirais:

"Il y a plusieurs aspects du multiculturalisme qui sont positifs, mais il y a aussi des conséquences sur la société multiculturelle française."

Mais il est probable qu'il y a des erreurs. (And, before anyone jumps to correct me, I didn't need to use the subjunctive there!) :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending