The Student Room Group
RA87
What are the main differences in the Oxford and Cambridge undergrad courses?

Cambridge has a Tripos system
Cambridge has exams EVERY year
Oxford has prelims and final year exams, depends on the course.
Reply 2
I think the Oxford course has more pure content than Cambridge.
Reply 3
london
Cambridge has a Tripos system
Cambridge has exams EVERY year
Oxford has prelims and final year exams, depends on the course.

Oxford's MMath has four exams at the end of each year.
Reply 4
Maybe fewer Mathematical Physicsy options at Oxford in the later years.
Reply 5
I don't know much about Oxford but in Cambridge you have 4 papers at the end of the first year. Also, the first year you have no choice of courses. You have to do Numbers & Sets, Algebra & Geometry, Differential Equation, Dynamics, Dynamics, Probability. This is for the first two terms. In the Easter term you prepare for the exams. The courses that term will not be examined and you can kind of choose. But then you can do these courses in the second or third year. (Does that make sense?) In Cam you have within the Tripos theoretical Physics which you can do. You can also decide to take other courses.
Oh yeah, and you can do a computer project at the end of the first year. You don't have to but quite a few people are doing it since one can get credit for the actual degree.
After Part I and II (the first three years) you can stay on for a fourth year (Part III) after that you get a degree in advanced studies of Maths or something similar.

Hope this helps. Sorry, don't know anything about oxford but if somebody does you can compare it.
Reply 6
the syllabus content of years one and two are pretty much the same in any half decent maths course at any uni :smile:
Reply 7
hmm... cambridge has a better rep for maths in general but it also seems a lot more geeky and oxford isnt so good(but still v v good) but more social
JamesF
I think the Oxford course has more pure content than Cambridge.

Does it..umm..i kinda thought it was the opposite way around?
I think that Cam contains more theoretical physics/mechanics, particularly within the options in the later years. Also with Cam you can't apply to do a 4 year course, like you can at Ox, but I think you can stay on for a fourth year (part III of the tripos) if you get a 1st (or maybe a 2:1) in your 3 year degree. A Maths degree at Cam is perhaps generally considered to be more highly thought of internationally, but then of course that's extremely broad and relative. I hardly think an Oxford maths grad will find getting a job too difficult. :wink:

Latest