The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Up.
Not sure about the university part (not being there myself :wink:), but I think you're allowed to retake as many as you want.

If you screw them all up and don't get the results you want but you've "passed" the AS, I think you need to decline your grade though.

I'll have a look on the web and see what I can find.
Reply 3
As many as you wish.

And no they don't look down on it, because you put "Pending" for any AS grades on UCAS, and for all they know it could be a 100% A grade (or a 10% U).
Reply 4
But if all your grades are pending then through which criteria could a university judge your suitability? Couldn't someone predicted 3 C grades apply to Oxbridge and have them all pending?
Reply 5
Yes, but they are predicted 3 C grades. So they would be rejected immediately.
Reply 6
What about the subject you take only to AS? If you get a B in that and 3 As in your other subjects could you put the AS as pending and, because you got As in everything else, they will think it's an A?
Reply 7
They will, yeh. But then if you have AAA, it's unlikely that you will be doing an AS by itself (therefore "pending").
you're allowed to retake 2 times for each module, and they will take the highest mark from them.. and if you want to retake AGAIN no matter what (whether it's higher or failed) they will take that mark. I think this rule still applies..
kookoo_koochoo
you're allowed to retake 2 times for each module, and they will take the highest mark from them.. and if you want to retake AGAIN no matter what (whether it's higher or failed) they will take that mark. I think this rule still applies..

Its actually the higher of you last two so say you sit it 3 times then it would be the higher of the second and third time.
Reply 10
They take the highest mark? I thought that if you retake and get a lower mark than the first time you have to accept the new mark?
gangsta316
They take the highest mark? I thought that if you retake and get a lower mark than the first time you have to accept the new mark?

Yep its the highest mark.
Reply 12
kookoo_koochoo

You sure?

The specification for my subjects say they will take the highest mark regardless of how many times you've taken it.
Clefeen
You sure?

The specification for my subjects say they will take the highest mark regardless of how many times you've taken it.

Yh, all I've ever been told is that no matter how many times you retake, your highest grade is always taken.
Happy_Holidays
Its actually the higher of you last two so say you sit it 3 times then it would be the higher of the second and third time.

h yeah duh sorry ! Yeah they take the highest of your second and third attempt but whatever score you get on the fourth attempt sticks.

It's only if you get it remarked that they definitely take whatever mark you got in remark, but for resits it's not like that.

Clefeen
You sure?

What do you do? I know it's the case for OCR, EDEXEL and the other one.. AQA?

Clefeen
You sure?

No that's not right lol.
Reply 15
I do AQA English Language and Sociology.

So if you do worse on the 2nd time you sit the paper, the best of the two stay.

But if you sit it for the 3rd time, the 3rd results stays regardless?

I'm sure this can't be right.
Clefeen

Thats because it isn't. If you sit the paper a third time its the highest grade from you second and third sittings.
kookoo_koochoo
h yeah duh sorry ! Yeah they take the highest of your second and third attempt but whatever score you get on the fourth attempt sticks.

It's only if you get it remarked that they definitely take whatever mark you got in remark, but for resits it's not like that.

What do you do? I know it's the case for OCR, EDEXEL and the other one.. AQA?

No that's not right lol.

I'm 99% sure you're wrong. Where does this information come from?
Clefeen

attempt 1 = the original sitting

attempt 2&3 = retakes, better grade of these is taken

attempt 4 = no matter what mark you get they take this even if you previsouly did better.

That's what we were told in school, and your board is what I did for English so it should still be applicable, it's only on the 4th attempt the "take the better mark" does not apply, cos by then if you've not improved then well...
Dan-IW
I'm 99% sure you're wrong. Where does this information come from?

From my teachers and exams officers! It was right cos I did worse in a resit paper and was given my better mark which I obtained in the original sitting.

Edit: This is what I was told and what I remember being applicable, but this was for last year, so maybe things have changed? If unsure check with your exams officer but I'm not giving out what I believe to be false information!

Latest