The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hehe sounds it! :biggrin:
Do you think a dark blue denim skirt would be smart enough blissy?
vinny2256
What is a suit without a tie?! You have some excellent points but wrecked your arguement at the end. If one decides to wear a suit; then wear a tie also. Might as well finish the thing off nicely!

I think a suit without a tie looks more relaxed, and there is a very good argument for not- if you start to sweat, which is likely given how long interviews go on for, a lot of supervisors penchant for boiling hot rooms and the intense pressure you are under, it can give you a headache, as it prevent blood flow. Actually, in America stroke patients are now being told not to wear a tie in pressured situations because of this.
Acaila
What about girls? :frown:

Apparently they're meant to wear a suit. Which I can see why they'd have reservations about, seeming as there isnt even a polarised viewpoint as there is for men. Key thing is to increase your chances by showing ample clevage.
Reply 43
tomcoolinguk
I think a suit without a tie looks more relaxed.

mmm ... but you have to have the right sort of shirt and suit for it to work properly. Think smouldering black and white fashion photography.
Geogger
mmm ... but you have to have the right sort of shirt and suit for it to work properly. Think smouldering black and white fashion photography.

I do- the suit is a a dark blue, with a striped effect (very subtle) and the shirt is blue and white striped. Looks good together.
Reply 45
tomcoolinguk
I do- the suit is a a dark blue, with a striped effect (very subtle) and the shirt is blue and white striped. Looks good together.

will expect a photo now...
Reply 46
tomcoolinguk

So overall, you'd vouch for jacket, shirt, trousers and smart shoes?
Reply 47
Geogger
will expect a photo now...

I second that.
You could avoid all these suits and jeans and jackets and tie or no tie dilemmas with quite a smart pair of trousers, a shirt and a nice sweater over it, with nice shoes. If I was a boy that's what I'd wear.
Reply 49
hitchhiker_13
You could avoid all these suits and jeans and jackets and tie or no tie dilemmas with quite a smart pair of trousers, a shirt and a nice sweater over it, with nice shoes. If I was a boy that's what I'd wear.

possibly, but might look a bit 'preppy'. a suit looks more the business!
Reply 50
Geogger
possibly, but might look a bit 'preppy'. a suit looks more the business!

Yea. I cannot see myself goin in like a little retired granda golfer in a silly jumper.
Geogger
possibly, but might look a bit 'preppy'.

I take your point, although I do quite like the preppy look!
Reply 52
hitchhiker_13
I take your point, although I do quite like the preppy look!

A bit of colour should make it less preppy - too much of the navy tops and chinos is definitely a bit east coast.
vinny2256
Yea. I cannot see myself goin in like a little retired granda golfer in a silly jumper.

Pfft - silly jumper! You need to get yourself down to Debenhams - the best John Rocha jumpers (not horribly expensive either I don't think). Spent quite a bit of time in their yesterday trying to convince someone that they would look quite nice in one of the stripy jumpers (I think it's the one in the ad campaign) but with very llittle effect.
Reply 54
in the end, theyr not gona look at how u dress, dey wanna see how u approach certain problems in ur field. ur gona see a lot of ppl with baggy jeans and long t shirts, and also many many ppl with suits and ties. as far as im concerned, dont look scruffy, and know ur subject inside out.

good luck!
Reply 55
hitchhiker_13
Pfft - silly jumper! You need to get yourself down to Debenhams - the best John Rocha jumpers (not horribly expensive either I don't think). Spent quite a bit of time in their yesterday trying to convince someone that they would look quite nice in one of the stripy jumpers (I think it's the one in the ad campaign) but with very llittle effect.

I will!
Reply 56
Euclid
in the end, theyr not gona look at how u dress, dey wanna see how u approach certain problems in ur field. ur gona see a lot of ppl with baggy jeans and long t shirts, and also many many ppl with suits and ties. as far as im concerned, dont look scruffy, and know ur subject inside out.

good luck!

Of course they are and you are quite right - your brain is the most important bit, but..... it's still nice to dress your brain in an appropriate decorative manner - it helps to boost the self-confidence.
musicboy
I challenge someone to turn up nude.

MB

Did you..?
xyro
you´ll have plenty of time being nude when you´re in :smile:

anyways, i´ll be wearing adidas sneakers (samba), normal jeans (perhaps blue, but most likely ocre), a nice fine shirt (light/dark blue) and a pullover (darker and without any goddamn brandnames on it!). actually, that´s the way i walk around everyday although i usually wear tshirts.

btw, i´m applying for maths so it might a good idea to appear to the interview in a more freakish style or something like wearing a red tshirt that says 'zoidberg' :smile:

they make t-shirts like that...
awesome!
Hmmm, I went in jeans and a jumper and it didn't do me any harm. It's more a matter of what you feel comfortable/confidence in than your actual appearance, as long as you don't look like you've spent the last 3 months sleeping rough on King's Parade, I'm sure it won't be a factor.

Though having said that, I get the feeling that Cambridge's interviews are more like it would be for a job than a university, which is really the opposite to Oxford. Maybe a suit would be best.

Latest

Trending

Trending