The Student Room Group
I guess the closest they've got in French is "ce" (as in "c'est") and "ça". One is like a general, genderless expression, but the other refers to something specific, often something that you've got in front of you.

Hope his helps :wink:
Reply 2
sort of, but im talking to her in english and in french ce and ca can both mean that OR it. it doesnt really translate so im going to have to explain it in english i think :/
Reply 3
'It' sounds like something you have already established the identity of and 'that' sounds like you are pointing something out, something a bit more distant.
That prob doesn't make sense :biggrin:
Reply 4
'It' can be more general whilst 'that' refers to something specific.... I'm confused now :s-smilie:.
For most situations, they are vaguely synonymous; 'that' is only necessary when distinguishing from a different 'that.'
Reply 6
yeah that was my thought, also you would use "it" if it was something you had experience of and "that" if you didnt e.g. -i only go to school one day a week. -really? THATS not very much. because if you say ITS not very much it sounds like you only go to school one day a week as well. arghh confusing!
Reply 7
Not very helpful, but reminds me of when my german exchange student asked me to explain the difference between 'this' and 'that'. That/This took a lot of thinking about!

Sorry for the uselessness, but it just sparked my memory! :smile:

xx
Reply 8
Wikipedia "It"
Wikipedia "That"

From Wikipedia:

The word "that" is used in the English language for several grammatical purposes:

* to introduce a restrictive clause
* as a demonstrative pronoun
* as a complementizer.

"It" (IPA: /ɪt/) is a third-person, singular neuter pronoun (subject case) in Modern English.

Reading those artivles will help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending