The Student Room Group

English Literature Exam tomorrow

Okay, I have a few questions.... I'm doing To Kill A Mockingbird and got the revision guides and stuff but there are no quotes, where can I find some useful quotes and info about the different themes. It would take me forever to look in a book for quotes as the book is so big, but how on earth am I supposed to memorize all the quotes?!

You get a clean copy of the book in the exam, right?

Also, for the poetry, do you chose or do they tell you which poems to use? What happens if you chose the wrong ones, if that's possible?

Save me!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah you get a clean copy of the anthology and the book.
They usually tell you 1 or 2 of the poems, and you choose the rest. There are some which are less "suitable" and i you choose them, it may affect your grade. However, if you can argue your point well, then I doubt it will matter. For the quote learning... just read them over and over until it fits in your head.
tbh why do you need useful quotes. if your answering the question on the book. don't you use quotes that are relative to the question asked, which would mean you find them as you go along.... or is there a better way...
Reply 3
For poetry, there isn't much revising to do imo, I just indentify the devices etc when I read it. For mice and men, just write down the 5 main quotes and themes for each chapter then learn those. There isn't a lot of fact learning tbh, its about how well you structure the essay, and how much practise you do.
I'm predicted A btw, hope I get it :s-smilie:
Reply 4
im doing to kill a mocking bird too! our teacher said that these chapters are probably the most important to look at for the essays:
-chapter 10 shooting of the dog
- mrs dubose in chapter 11
- trial
- end of novel

Good luck!!!
Reply 5
I'm doing to kill a mockingbird.. i'm dreading it tbh but i'm not sure how to revise.
I'm just going to read a summary on the internet now.. as i have not had time to read it again for this exam. whoops. but i've read it 4 times before so it should be okay.
i'm hoping it will all be fine.
but i wish the exam was longer. i'm always pushed for time.
I'm going to write down the first two or three words of the quote and then the page no . . . I'm not going to type out every quote! Ones in bold are the most important.

Little Chuck Little 28/29

You can never understand 33 (different version 308)

Try fighting with 84

****** lover 93

Ain't no snot-nosed 31

Don't say ****** 83

Maycomb's usual disease 98

Your father's no better than 113

I wants to know why 131

I seen that black ****** yonder 190

You mean all you drink 221

There's nothing more sickening 243

The Cunninghams hadn't 245

Over here we don't 270

She was the bravest 124

Shoot all the bluejays 99

She says she never kissed 214

You children last night

A little bantam cock 187

Whenever a white man 243

Boy (in courtroom, Mr Gilmore to Tom, not sure of page offhand)

Tom was a dead man the 266

Will you take 306

Boo was about six- 14

He had announced in the schoolyard 82

Negroes worshipped in it 130

So if spitting in my face and threatening me saved Mayella Ewell one extra beating, that's something I'll gladly take

Jem, it's not right to 272

He didn't do anything but 152

It's different with 152

Now I mean it Scout 152

Half white, 177

He thought he'd be 275/6

Cry about the simple 222

She did something that in 255

I always thought Maycomb folks 237

Sin to kill cripples 256

He likened Tom's death 256

It's time someone 272

Well, it would be sorta like (last few pages, Scout re Heck Tate deciding not to charge Boo with Bob's murder)

Boo's children 308

He gave us two soap 307

A white man's word against 243

Typical of a ****** to 246

Important events
Atticus tells kids off for playing Boo Radley game 54

Atticus shoots Tim Johnson 106

Jem realises Tom is crippled and therefore couldn't have raped Mayella 205

Miss Gates and Stephanie Crawford's conversation on the courthouse steps 272

Scout chats to Mr Cunningham and lynch mob 169/70

Scout gives overiview of the book and what she has learnt using the seasons to show time passing 307

Good luck!

Edit: the starred out words are ******.
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Bristol" Helena="Helena" in="in"]I'm going to write down the first two or three words of the quote and then the page no . . . I'm not going to type out every quote! Ones in bold are the most important.

Little Chuck Little 28/29

You can never understand 33 (different version 308)

Try fighting with 84

****** lover 93

Ain't no snot-nosed 31

Don't say ****** 83

Thanks, that was EXTRA helpful to me!! :smile:
I've got my exam 2moro 2. We're doing, An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men. I so wish you were allowed to take the books in with you, it would help so much. (Silently cacking self).
Reply 9
You might accidentally chose the wrong poem, but they do make it quite obvious. So you should be fine. Loads of people in my school did that for their mocks...

You won't get say a high A* for it, since it would be difficult to argue the points. But hey ~
dangermouse00
I've got my exam 2moro 2. We're doing, An Inspector Calls and Of Mice and Men. I so wish you were allowed to take the books in with you, it would help so much. (Silently cacking self).

I thought you could? Or do you mean you wish you could take your own copy in. :confused:
Reply 11
jelly1000
I thought you could? Or do you mean you wish you could take your own copy in. :confused:

There will be a non annotated copy in the exam.
oo im doing an inspector calls and of mice and men too !! i noo ya dont get the book damnn !!! i dont have a clue where to start with inspector calls its the wierdest play ever more but yeahh o well.. just enjoyin sum videos on bbc bitesize bwt an inspecotr calls and of mice and men they r funny !
anyways good luckk xx
Reply 13
I've just looked at the questions from past years for the Lit exam tomorrow and I'm pretty ecstatic, they're all quite "niche" answers what I don't believe you could improve on much by revision. I have an absolutely dire teacher. I'm doing prose + poems from the anthology, but we haven't even done all the poems/prose yet. Yes, exam is tomorrow and I haven't read the poems. Just going to use some advanced vocabulary and creativity and hope I can wing it! Anyone in the same boat as me?
Tsovehr
I've just looked at the questions from past years for the Lit exam tomorrow and I'm pretty ecstatic, they're all quite "niche" answers what I don't believe you could improve on much by revision. I have an absolutely dire teacher. I'm doing prose + poems from the anthology, but we haven't even done all the poems/prose yet. Yes, exam is tomorrow and I haven't read the poems. Just going to use some advanced vocabulary and creativity and hope I can wing it! Anyone in the same boat as me?

YEah, we had a rubbish teacher, so have to teach the poems to myself. If you are naturally good at analysing the poems, and understand the technique, then you could do OK. WHate grade are you aiming for?
jelly1000

Some exam boards you get a copy of it but with the wjec board you dont!
n r skwl is with wjec lucky me yeahh !
Reply 16
definite_maybe
YEah, we had a rubbish teacher, so have to teach the poems to myself. If you are naturally good at analysing the poems, and understand the technique, then you could do OK. WHate grade are you aiming for?

Alas, A*. Any tips for people like us who haven't even read the poem, let alone elucidate how the author shows relationships between characters :biggrin:

Tiinkerbell
n r skwl is with wjec lucky me yeahh !

Just don't write like that in your exam :P
Ahh, I see now. I don't mind so much about having a new copy of Lord of the Flies- notes wouldn't really make much of a difference to me, just the poetry. Trying to remember everything about even just the 'key' poems is driving my head in.
Tsovehr
Alas, A*. Any tips for people like us who haven't even read the poem, let alone elucidate how the author shows relationships between characters :biggrin:

I'm in exactly the same position. I'm going over LOTF right now, and the key poems in about 2 hours, but nothins sticking. Starting to panic now.
jelly1000
Ahh, I see now. I don't mind so much about having a new copy of Lord of the Flies- notes wouldn't really make much of a difference to me, just the poetry. Trying to remember everything about even just the 'key' poems is driving my head in.

Problem with getting a new copy is that its a different version, and so it's different to what I'm used to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending