The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone know how much %age of the whole thing is coursework? If I got 26/27 in coursework, how much do I need to get in the exam to get an A*?? Thanks x
koki234
Does anyone know how much %age of the whole thing is coursework? If I got 26/27 in coursework, how much do I need to get in the exam to get an A*?? Thanks x

Still probably about 90% or so... it's worth 30%
Reply 82
Jessikar
Still probably about 90% or so... it's worth 30%

:eek:
koki234
:eek:

To be honest, i don't know... i know it's 90% on the exam alone for an A* but including coursework it may be less if you have a high grade like yourself.
I think the paper is marked out of 200 UMS marks, and 140 of these are from the exam, and 60 from the coursework. I think you need 168 UMS marks for an A* but not 100% sure on that.
On the exam its usually 55 or 56 / 66 for an A*, that's 83%
so whats the percentages:

- what percentage does coursework count towards the gcse
- what percentage does the exam count towards the gcse
The coursework is 30%
The exam is 70%
I'm someone else who has major issues with writing essays that are long enough. In my mock, both of my essays fitted on one piece of paper, with blank space left.

My teacher said for To Kill A Mockingbird we should be writing 2.5 to 3 sides! :eek: In 45 minutes!? Impossible for me, I say!
Reply 89
BlondeNorfolkGirl
My teacher said for To Kill A Mockingbird we should be writing 2.5 to 3 sides! :eek: In 45 minutes!? Impossible for me, I say!

No, not true. You can get A* writing say 1.5-2 sides. Don't be conscious of how much you're writing tomorrow, you'll just end up writing down gap filler sentences and gaining no marks whatsoever.

Just make sure you're writing down quality sentences related to the question. That's whats going to get you marks. Not writing 4 sides of rubbish. :wink:
riiight.
No, not true. You can get A* writing say 1.5-2 sides. Don't be conscious of how much you're writing tomorrow, you'll just end up writing down gap filler sentences and gaining no marks whatsoever.

Just make sure you're writing down quality sentences related to the question. That's whats going to get you marks. Not writing 4 sides of rubbish. :wink:

:smile:

Yeah, I think my teacher does go a bit OTT cos we're the top set, lol.
Reply 91
Surely it depends entirely on the size of your writing as well. Because my writing is pretty small I don't really take notice of the recommended lengths of things, if it feels right it probably is. The examiner will be able to tell if it is a complete and well written piece.
hollit91
I love people like you, in the exact same shoes as ME!! x
Seconded... although I almost scraped a C grade (I got an extremely high D). My teacher says I should be looking at A grades for English and Lit.

Good luck to people in a similar situation- I know I'll need it.
Reply 93
Jmiddleton
Seconded... although I almost scraped a C grade (I got an extremely high D). My teacher says I should be looking at A grades for English and Lit.

Good luck to people in a similar situation- I know I'll need it.

Good luck. I'm aiming for an A, my main aim for the GCSE's is to beat my older bro who got all A*s/As except for English Lit. I'll be happy if i can get a one over him in english, cos i took maths a year early and ended up getting a B, off an A by a mark (how cruel :'( )
IM SO SCARED ABOUT TOMORROW!! i really really want to do well... haven't really done much reviison today. I thikn I'll just read through poems etc and hope for the best!!! I love OMAM, so I'm going to try and get an A in it, or there abouts, if I got A*, lol I'd cry.

Anyways, yeh, good luck everyone, remmber to comment on structure, lang, tone etc;;; language choices and all that jazz :smile:
hazzypants
IM SO SCARED ABOUT TOMORROW!! i really really want to do well... haven't really done much reviison today. I thikn I'll just read through poems etc and hope for the best!!! I love OMAM, so I'm going to try and get an A in it, or there abouts, if I got A*, lol I'd cry.

Anyways, yeh, good luck everyone, remmber to comment on structure, lang, tone etc;;; language choices and all that jazz :smile:

same same, i want my A so bad but im scared i might get a B/C ;( english was always my natural subject too :s-smilie:
Everyone, you're going to do fine. Remember to plan as well. Also, look at the time, ensure your timing is right, it's necessary on this exam.
trance addict
same same, i want my A so bad but im scared i might get a B/C ;( english was always my natural subject too :s-smilie:

How'd it go?

I loved the Mice of Men Question; describe two important charcters; very vague but easy! It went okay... afterwards I ahd a bit of a spazz cos i thought i could've done better. but i'm always harsh on myself. just have to wait and see now. I reckon an A/B though.

How about you???
Reply 98
i did a practice question 2 nights before on lord of the flies which was about how important simon was and my teacher said it was a* and the same question came up in the exam! so i just wrote the same stuff, how lucky was that!
Reply 99
hodgey
i did a practice question 2 nights before on lord of the flies which was about how important simon was and my teacher said it was a* and the same question came up in the exam! so i just wrote the same stuff, how lucky was that!

God I wish something like that had happened for me! The TKAM questions were right obscure - we'd hardly looked at anything like them.

Latest