The Student Room Group

OPITO Apprenticeship - Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thanks mate, otherwise I may have sent an email to Opito which makes me look like an utter fool!

I do wonder though if it's anything to do with location, i.e. if he's based in Scotland then they will apply the Scottish funding system (skillseekers etc). Whereas I'm down South so they might only be able to use the English funding even though I'm completely happy to be put in digs up North. I wonder if the offshore apprenticeships through ECITB (the ones that you apply for direct through their website) aren't sponsored the same way and aren't done through the upstream technician scheme.

Hate the uncertainty :frown:

What's the processing hydrocarbons course like? Do you have to do course work and projects or is it exam based?

cheers. It's good to get someone who's already on the scheme to shed a little light for the rest of us. Trying to get info from Opito and ECITB is so difficult it's almost demoralising!
Reply 41
My mate who is on the ECITB course is on it with lots of people from all over the U.K a boy from Liverpool and a boy from Hull is what i can remember off the top of my head.

The course that im doing at the moment is continuous assesment for the first year of college when you complete outcomes for different subjects(everything from Machines and Mechanisms to Programable Logic Controllers).

In your scond year of college though you have to complete a final exam.
Reply 42
ive been waiting for quite a while now to hear when my aptitude test will be. I received the letter to say ive passed the initial application stage but nothing heard since then. is the ECITB course just basically the same? working offshore etc? thanks.
Reply 43
i thought ECITB and OPITO were the same course? my mate applied or ECITB and i applied for OPITO and we were at the same appitude test. i just got a letter saying that i passed the test and now have to wait for an interview, does anyone know if you have to ware shirt and tie to the interview or is it more informal?.
Reply 44
have you already had your test :s-smilie:? i have been accepted to do the test but they told me the test will be after the closing date. What was the test like? what sort of questions was they? gav
Reply 45
Yeah i had my test last week, its 5 different tests, its mostly on maths but theres bits on mechanical compisition and close reading, takes about 2 hours.
Reply 46
Yeah, I think the ECITB course is the same as Opito if you're doing it via the Upstream Tech Scheme. There are other Oil and Gas tech apprenticeships that ECITB do as well but I don't think they are the Upstream scheme ones hence the confusion I had over the grant etc.

When you say mechanical composition, you mean spatial reasoning or are they going to have questions on gear ratios etc?
Reply 47
waiting to here about when my test is. Can anyone fill me in about whats on the test? cheers
Reply 48
danz69
Yeah i had my test last week, its 5 different tests, its mostly on maths but theres bits on mechanical compisition and close reading, takes about 2 hours.

what kind of maths questions are on it mate? not been at school for a few years so trying to jog my memory
Reply 49
haha dont mean to sound like a proper dumb ass like, but wtf is mechanical compisition hahaha ? an to answer the other lads question i rang opito the other day an they told me that they would be in touch with me as soon as the closing date comes to tell me when the test is, an the closing date is the 16th of april i think,
Reply 50
i was going to ring them but thanks for that gav, dont need to now. worried now about this test :P wondering what will be on it, especially mechanical comprehension! good luck lads! make sure to get back on here after the 16th for a chat :wink:
Reply 51
haha sound lad :wink:
Reply 52
i noticed someone mentioned that ECITB give you £95 a week and pay for accomadation aswel as breakfast and dinner! does any1 know what benefits you get with OPITO? thanks
Reply 53
hi,

I got a letter through from Ecitb a week or two back saying the aptitude test will be in 8-12 weeks time.... anyone else have the same?
hi

im a first year ecitb apprentice. im at falkirk college to study for mechanical engineering. the majority of information on this is rubbish. we recieve £80 a week and our travel. we are taken from all over the country with two boys in our class from england. ecitb had a total of 22 apprenticies at college and they share paid for accomidation. the acommodation is a hotel in falkirk and only 4 out of the 22 stay all week. ECITB and opitio are basically the same thing except that we are contactors. you apply to upstream oil and gas and a third of those people are taken to ecitb this was due to the fact that opito would train people then other companied would hire them at better pay. this was the same for ecitb. any more infirmation fell free to ask.

The guy whos freing is in ecitb can you tell me his name please?
ohh and if you apply for a grant youll get into trouble as you are employed not a student
Reply 56
Alright mate thanks for some of that then, thats my first choice to do mechanical, so do opito recieve £80 a week to ye? and when you say travel how much do they pay for? so you can go home everyweek? Me an me mate are from liverpool, an we both applied an he went with ECITB an iv went wiv opito, in your class is the opito an ecitb together? and i heard something about them paying for food? can you tell me about that too, an if you have any other things that could be helpful, thanks gav :wink:
yeah everything is paid for including food except luch and obv things like sweet juice etc. both receive same wage so dont feel hard done by if your in a diff company. if you do mechanical you could end up in falkirk like me. theres guy a from liverpool and he decided to saty full time ie 3 weeks then half day fri and home for a weeken. you can go home every week if you choose to there only 4 out of 22 who stay full time. if u decide to travel then ecitb will pay for all costs like bus fare train even flights. the pay 25p per mile if you drive. opitio and ecitb never mix except at xmas for a special dinner. even then we werent introduced. we have been told that the new starts could be based in stirling and they may be bused into falkirk and home but this is not know yet. i was asked because i stay there and its 13 miles away from falkirk. stirling has better night life anyway. hope this has helped any more questions feel free to ask and the instrument guys are at falkirk also. all ecitb apprenticies share accomidation 2 to a room. there nice and big and you can swap with people if you want. there is a total of 22 ecitb apprenticies at falkirk
Reply 58
i know its a while ago, but can you remember your aptitude test? was it hard? what was on it? and whats ur college hours mondy to friday till 5? and what about if i mate hus with ecitb gets a mechanical and i do, wouldnt we be in the same class :s-smilie:?
Reply 59
thank god youre on here Gav! you ask all the questions that i want to know aswel! there's quite a lack in information and i'm STILL waiting to hear back for when my aptitude test is going to be. bricking it now though because i desperately want to do this course. means moving away from newcastle but the 25p per mile home would be quite good too since i drive myself. about to finish 6th form in a few weeks so im really keen to know where my application is at now. going to have to ring them soon if i dont hear anything in the next week or so. thanks for all the help aswel people

Quick Reply

Latest