The Student Room Group

OPITO Apprenticeship - Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Tetley 1
6 hour drive you definetely need 7 days then. its a 3 and a half hour drive for me. but like i said no car so its trains and busses :L are you doing mechanical or electrical. am doing electrical

Electrical mate!
Reply 901
Never got accepted for this this year but going to aberdeen college to do a HNC in Mechanical Engineering.. I see that the recruitment starts in janurary again and wonder if it is worth applying again or if they wont accept me if i have already applied.
Does anyone have advice or have failed to get in before bus succeeded a second time? Thanks
I got on reserve list last yr...I done hnc in engineering systems and got work experience and applied again and now I'm instrument at Aberdeen College m8. It's well worth applying again. I done a communication project on oil n gas separation and I took this into the interview and they were well impressed that I had "clearly went the extra mile" to show that oil n gas was where I wanted to work.
Reply 903
Original post by wintonrovers
I got on reserve list last yr...I done hnc in engineering systems and got work experience and applied again and now I'm instrument at Aberdeen College m8. It's well worth applying again. I done a communication project on oil n gas separation and I took this into the interview and they were well impressed that I had "clearly went the extra mile" to show that oil n gas was where I wanted to work.

Nice one :biggrin: Well done mate.

That gives me the confidence to apply again. Thanks
Reply 904
hi guys, got accepted on the ECITB plating course in MITEC college in pembrokeshire west wales.
When I applied for the scheme, I was under the impression that it was to be an NVQ but have now been told we will be doing a national diploma city and guilds 2660, was just wondering, is this better than an NVq or will I then work towards an NVQ once I get a sponsership for the 2nd 3rd and 4th years on site? also does anyone know how much we will be getting payed as the instructors on the course arent exactly sure cuz evrything has changed for them since last year. thanks for any help
Reply 905
Hello Guys

Justa note to say congratulations to all those people who managed to get a place. I was unfortunate and only managed to make the reserve list. Still havent had a letter saying that i was unsuccessful but I spoek to maureen who confirmed the lack of communication. Hope you all have a great tiem and do well. All the best for the future
Reply 906
Original post by mdmx33
Hello Guys

Justa note to say congratulations to all those people who managed to get a place. I was unfortunate and only managed to make the reserve list. Still havent had a letter saying that i was unsuccessful but I spoek to maureen who confirmed the lack of communication. Hope you all have a great tiem and do well. All the best for the future

You applying next year ? :smile:
Reply 907
I never got in this year either but i'm definitely applying next year! Im more than half way through attaining a HNC in Engineering Systems at Jewel & Esk, Maureen Hunter tells me this will enhance my application next year so I would recommend folks applying next year to get as much of an engineering background as possible to give them the best chance of being offered a placement! For example I managed to get a job as a "planning engineer" with a sheetmetal fabricator for the electrical industry, its office based BUT im surrounded with mechanical & electrical engineering so i'm getting a good appreciation for the sector and like i've said my company has enrolled me on a day release college course. Im hoping this will highlight my interest in engineering on the whole for when i apply again next year!
Reply 908
Original post by JAYP91
I never got in this year either but i'm definitely applying next year! Im more than half way through attaining a HNC in Engineering Systems at Jewel & Esk, Maureen Hunter tells me this will enhance my application next year so I would recommend folks applying next year to get as much of an engineering background as possible to give them the best chance of being offered a placement! For example I managed to get a job as a "planning engineer" with a sheetmetal fabricator for the electrical industry, its office based BUT im surrounded with mechanical & electrical engineering so i'm getting a good appreciation for the sector and like i've said my company has enrolled me on a day release college course. Im hoping this will highlight my interest in engineering on the whole for when i apply again next year!

Nice i am 8 weeks into Mechanical Engineering HNC at Aberdeen college.
Applying again next year.. also been told that there is placements on offer in the summer with offshore companies for students to gain work experience.
This should defenetly enhance my application if i do a placement.
Reply 909
I'm going to apply for this for next year. How can I improve my chances? I haven't had hardly any technical/mechanical work experience and didnt do them at school, but am doing a practical craft subject this year. I'm not really confident but would be prepared to do any sort of job offshore just to get started, how much percent of applicants are successful?
Reply 910
Original post by buzzer55
I'm going to apply for this for next year. How can I improve my chances? I haven't had hardly any technical/mechanical work experience and didnt do them at school, but am doing a practical craft subject this year. I'm not really confident but would be prepared to do any sort of job offshore just to get started, how much percent of applicants are successful?

I know that there were over 2'000 applicants this year, alot higher than the previous year. I was also told that less people would be taken on this year than the previous year and because of the high rate of applicants, the pass mark on the aptitude had to climb 10-15%. Unfortunately I don't know the number of successful applicants enrolled this year but I hope this helps!
Reply 911
Original post by JAYP91
I know that there were over 2'000 applicants this year, alot higher than the previous year. I was also told that less people would be taken on this year than the previous year and because of the high rate of applicants, the pass mark on the aptitude had to climb 10-15%. Unfortunately I don't know the number of successful applicants enrolled this year but I hope this helps!

How does the process work? If you get selected do you have to take this aptitude test, what is it like?
Reply 912
Original post by buzzer55
How does the process work? If you get selected do you have to take this aptitude test, what is it like?

This is how my process went...

Applied
- Initial application acceptance letter (I think they check your grades to see if you have what is required, check the website that'll tell you the credentials needed)
- Letter to inform me of aptitude time & date.

Aptitude test
- Two mathematical papers (one calculator/ one non-calculator)
- Two problem solving papers
- One processing paper; really hard to explain this one, its most likely something you've nothing done before. Was a while since I done so I can't remember it completely but its like a series of circles, some green some not and you have to work out what the broken processor. The person who takes the test talks you through how to do it so its not that bad.
- Got a letter to tell me I passed the aptitude test and that I was invited to an interview at some point.
- Got a letter with time & date of interview.

Interview
- Had interview, pretty laid back, guy was sound, answered all the questions without hesitation and well. Thought the interview went smashingly

REJECTION LETTER 3 days after the college course started ha
Reply 913
Original post by JAYP91
This is how my process went...

Applied
- Initial application acceptance letter (I think they check your grades to see if you have what is required, check the website that'll tell you the credentials needed)
- Letter to inform me of aptitude time & date.

Aptitude test
- Two mathematical papers (one calculator/ one non-calculator)
- Two problem solving papers
- One processing paper; really hard to explain this one, its most likely something you've nothing done before. Was a while since I done so I can't remember it completely but its like a series of circles, some green some not and you have to work out what the broken processor. The person who takes the test talks you through how to do it so its not that bad.
- Got a letter to tell me I passed the aptitude test and that I was invited to an interview at some point.
- Got a letter with time & date of interview.

Interview
- Had interview, pretty laid back, guy was sound, answered all the questions without hesitation and well. Thought the interview went smashingly

REJECTION LETTER 3 days after the college course started ha

Damn thats harsh haha. I have decent grades from school but no tech stuff so I highly doubt I'll be accepted, but I'll just keep applying each year and hope to get in some time.
Guess i'm back on this thread again, who's applying next year? I applied this year and passed everything till the last stage where they only chose 50% of the applicants :frown:
Reply 915
Original post by damilola
Guess i'm back on this thread again, who's applying next year? I applied this year and passed everything till the last stage where they only chose 50% of the applicants :frown:

Same Position mate.. Wil be back here again this year. defo applying again.
Reply 916
When is everyone sending away applications?
Original post by xperty

Original post by xperty

tomorrow! i'm so excited about this now :biggrin:
what are u applying for this year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 918
Original post by xperty

Applying tonight! Hopefully get it this year.. getting pretty old now ha
Reply 919
Hope i get to this year, How many times have you guy's applied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending