The Student Room Group

OPITO Apprenticeship - Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Hi All,

My Brother has recently completed this course.

He done Two years course at college and was then taken offshore!

There is a big difference in year 3 if you don’t get selected for an offshore sponsor and instead have an onshore role.

The colleges that were available when he started the course were in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Middleburgh and Falkirk.

I myself have applied for this year’s intake and really hoping to get in slightly nervous about the aptitude test as think it’s my stumbling block as I have waited all year to apply !!

Here’s hoping and good luck to anyone applying :smile:

PS any questions use want I will try and get info from my brother.
Reply 941
Hi Chuckie88,

Some questions you could put to your brother for me please:

- What sort of questions are asked in the interview? (i.e. Is it just a standard job interview or do they expect you to know everything about the industry?)

- In the interview do they emphasize on any particular skills/qualities? (i.e. Lots of teamwork examples.)

- What happens after your 2 years training at college?
(Does it depend on whether or not your sponsored by a third party company?)

- Does he know where the Electrical Engineering Course takes place? (It was rumored to be in Middlesborough, however I think this year they are transitioning over to Aberdeen...)

Thanks all I can think of for now.

Cheers for any help you can provide :smile:

MyeRs'
Original post by Myers2k10

Hi Chuckie88,

- What sort of questions are asked in the interview? (i.e. Is it just a standard job interview or do they expect you to know everything about the industry?)

- In the interview do they emphasize on any particular skills/qualities? (i.e. Lots of teamwork examples.)

- Does he know where the Electrical Engineering Course takes place? (It was rumored to be in Middlesborough, however I think this year they are transitioning over to Aberdeen...)

MyeRs'

I know u're not asking me but I can help with the first few questions, I did both interviews last year.

You get 2 interviews, the first one is really crap, I have no idea what the point of it is, U get asked about ur hobbies they just really want to find out about ur personality and communication skills I guess. The second one is with PR people from the company ur apprenticeship will be with, that where it gets serious and they ask U what U will bring to the company. They place a lot of emphasis on health and safety though, it's an obsession , i had to give an example of a time when I prevented an accident by following health and safety rules. And like with any other job interview, teamwork comes up a lot, they asked what environment U best work in, what type of people U like working with. You have to learn about the company itself and be able to incoporate what u've learnt into ur interview.Hope I helped, see ya around :biggrin:
Hi Chuckie88,

MyeRs'

Electrical engineering at what level? NVQ, NQ, BETEC HNC/D, SQA HNC/D?
Reply 944
When studying at college for the inital 2 years you gain a NC and HNC I'm just about to finish the NC within next 10 weeks or so hopefully and the HNC by christmas 2012. It is hard work so be prepared from the get go. One step at a time though and get through the aptitute tests. Can't really provide much information about it it's just general mental work to see if you could keep up with the work I'd say.
Reply 945
can anybody say anything about the aptitude test? or tell me anything about where it will be, i'm from dunoon (about an hour away from glasgow) and it would be better if i didn't have to travel all the way to aberdeen haha. i recieved my letter about the aptitude test today, anybody know how long untill you hear more from them?

Reply 946
Over 1000 applicants already
Reply 947
Original post by mikejr11
Over 1000 applicants already

Really? That is making me feel nervous :frown:
Reply 948
Hey everyone, just wanted to know if there are any other girls applying this year?
Original post by C_016

Original post by C_016
Hey everyone, just wanted to know if there are any other girls applying this year?

me! :biggrin:
Reply 950
Original post by damilola
me! :biggrin:

Awrite! just asking because i wanted to see if i did by chance end up getting accepted would like to know if there would be any girls my age 17/18?
But i do tend to get along with boys well too. :smile:
Original post by C_016

Original post by C_016
Awrite! just asking because i wanted to see if i did by chance end up getting accepted would like to know if there would be any girls my age 17/18?
But i do tend to get along with boys well too. :smile:

When I applied last year I was the only girl sitting the apptitude tests for both my apprenticeships :P i dont think there will be a lot of girls :s-smilie:
Just wondering if anyone knew how to apply, do you email the application form from the website or post it? cheers.
Original post by DeclanA94

Original post by DeclanA94
Just wondering if anyone knew how to apply, do you email the application form from the website or post it? cheers.

U post it
Original post by damilola
U post it

Thanks alot :smile:
Reply 955
Original post by Sean?

Original post by Sean?
Really? That is making me feel nervous :frown:

Yeh almost 1300 now
Reply 956
How did you find out?
did anyone apply for the INEOS engineers of the future or apprenticeship at falkirk? and have u heard back?
Reply 958
Applying this year again

Got through to the aptitude tests last year(which are hard!) and well yeah.. you have to pass them all..

Out of the 5 - I failed one , by only 2 marks (processes) it will confuse most people at first!

Collages go as follow im sure:
Mechanical - falkirk
Electrical - Middlesborough
Process - Edinburgh?
Instrument & control - Aberdeen?

Last 2 not sure about
Friend from school applied at same time as me last year and got in to mechanical at Falkirk(LUCKY :frown: )

So yeah. Here's hoping
Dean
Reply 959
Original post by Sean?

Original post by Sean?
How did you find out?

Just know people

Quick Reply

Latest