The Student Room Group

Is it too late?

Hey... :smile:

I've wanted to Medicine after college for a long time now, and I'm nearly finishing my first year at college.

Recently, I've come across some information that if I want to do Medicine, it is unacceptable to be doing maths and futher maths together?! :confused:

I have a view to continue all 4 of my subjects to A2 (biology, chemistry, maths and further maths).

So... do I stand less chance of studying medicine? :/
Reply 1
no you wont stand less chance but they will only consider maths or further maths and not both. i.e. wont look at both grades but just maths or further maths grade
Reply 2
NO, You're studying the two more important sciences for doing Medicine anyway. Don't worry about it.
Reply 3
Cool, cool :biggrin:

Such a relief, and to get such quick responses as well! Thanks.
motiv3
no you wont stand less chance but they will only consider maths or further maths and not both. i.e. wont look at both grades but just maths or further maths grade

That's bull****.

Don't worry OP, you are studying 4 great, academic subjects. You'll be fine.
Reply 5
Actually, some universities do say that they count it as one subject, for example Peninsula say it on their website somewhere (may not want to go there though). So it's not complete bull****, but I really wouldn't worry about it as they're all brilliant academic subjects and you won't have any disadvantage over others I doubt, especially seeing as you're carrying them all on to A2.
Reply 6
I did exactly those subjects (Maths, F Maths, Chem, Biology (also history AS)) and got three out of four offers, so you definately have every chance. If you're going for Oxbridge F Maths will definately help, if you're going for others its certainly not going to do any harm.
Two out of three of my offers would only allow one out of Maths and F.Maths to count towards the offer requirements though.
Reply 7
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of confusion around this subject.

Lots of people disagree with each other about this, so I was a bit worried.

But these replies are reassuring :smile: Thanks guys.

Latest