The Student Room Group

Oxford or Imperial?

Hi guys,

i'm a 1st year student doing Computing at imperial. i reapplied to oxford(i got rejected last year) and got an offer for maths while studying at imperial.

if i choose to go to oxford, i will have to withdraw from imperial and start from the beginning at oxfrod(of course different subject).

I have to make my decision before the end of term, but it's really hard to choose due to several reasons...
Good things about imperial: i like the course, nice people(i think it's the same in oxford).
Bad things about imperial: too expensive(i'm an international student)
Good things about oxford: so much cheaper(i won a scholarship in my country which supports quite a reasonable amount, but it's conditional on oxford offer which i've already got), oxbridge prestige
Bad things about oxford: starting from 1st year again

what do you think is the best? Help appreciated!:smile:
Reply 1
You're obviously going to go to Oxford otherwise as if you were perfectly happy with Imperial then you wouldn't have applied elsewhere while still there?!
Reply 2
completely different subjects - any perferances there?

and think you may have to retake a year but if you end up doing a masters or whatever that's another 3/4/more years of your life. 1 year is no biggie.
Reply 3
c0co
You're obviously going to go to Oxford otherwise as if you were perfectly happy with Imperial then you wouldn't have applied elsewhere while still there?!

I applied to oxford before i came to imperial because at first I wasn't sure whether I would be happy at imperial.
Reply 4
Which course do you want to do more?
flsefe
Hi guys,

i'm a 1st year student doing Computing at imperial. i reapplied to oxford(i got rejected last year) and got an offer for maths while studying at imperial.

if i choose to go to oxford, i will have to withdraw from imperial and start from the beginning at oxfrod(of course different subject).

I have to make my decision before the end of term, but it's really hard to choose due to several reasons...
Good things about imperial: i like the course, nice people(i think it's the same in oxford).
Good things about oxford: so much cheaper(i won a scholarship in my country which supports quite a reasonable amount, but it's conditional on oxford offer which i've already got), oxbridge prestige

So you applied to Oxford whilst at Imperial? Cool - though I did not think this was possible?

Anyhow I suggest you post this in the Imperial forum and Oxford forum where the DoC's can give you a much more informed answer.
Reply 6
it depends what you want to do when you're older. which course do you like the most?
Oxford.
Reply 8
Would Oxford still be cheaper considering you'll be doing it for the full thing again, whereas Imperial you've already completed a year?
Stick with Imperial as you are happy there, unless you can't afford the course anymore.

You can't assume you're automatically be happy at Oxford, especially as it's a different subject from the one you're enjoying.
Reply 10
suek
Would Oxford still be cheaper considering you'll be doing it for the full thing again, whereas Imperial you've already completed a year?

what she said.
Reply 11
I don't know if this will deter the OP from choose Oxford, but I just wanted to say that Oxford has their degree based on the final year exams alone, correct?

I'm not sure whether that will turn people off, but for me, I would be quite turned off actually.
Hate to point out the obvious, but computing and maths are pretty different. I suppose you no longer have a preference...:confused:
Reply 13
flsefe
Hi guys,

If it's cheaper for you to go to Oxford than to any other school on the planet, I don't see why you wouldn't want to go there. It's Oxford -- the name the brand -- is one of the most famous and most prestigious university brand names in the entire universe!!!

I love Imperial as it is a truly amazing school to go to, but it's extremely hard to get a place at Oxford. So if you got an offer from there, and at a cheap, affordable price at that... I say pack your things and go!!! I mean now!!! :biggrin:
Reply 14
I am studying economics at Oxford. I would recommend Oxford irrespective of subject. The Oxbridge experience is certainly unique and you can always live and study in London at a later date. One of my friends does maths here and loves it. I always think that geographical location should be a major factor in deciding which university to go to and you will not find anywhere in the world like Oxford. Hope this helps :smile:
cut off the consideration of risk in switch between subjects, if I were you, I would opt to O-X.
flsefe

Good things about oxford: so much cheaper(i won a scholarship in my country which supports quite a reasonable amount, but it's conditional on oxford offer which i've already got)

Don't forget that a good 6 month industrial placement in Computing at Imperial can often earn a good student 15-20k.

Have you considered Joint Maths Computing at Imperial?

Latest

Trending

Trending