The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i dont know. i just know when certain big words should be used. lol. i just guess and it makes you win arguments cos its funny, but gretin is a thing my geeky hacker friend says to noobs. it think its something off star trek.
and fallacy is like a dishonor of some nature
Reply 21
EskimoJo
Lol - only a genius would have the confidence to use this in their exams. I recommend it. :smile:

:biggrin: :biggrin: The stupid thing is that is one of the more sensible suggestions we have had so far.
I am quite honestly in agreement with Ed
At GCSE, you really don't need these terms you are trying to find, you are probably better of actually revising your text? finding key quotes? looking at themes?
Rather than looking at things you won't really be given marks for in your GCSE
lamo noob and lol would be awsome words to use.... THANKS GUYS *smiles*
Ed.
How many books do you know that have soliloquies ? Books regularly show the characters thoughts, but rarely are they spoken. Soliloquy means speaking alone. It is very common in plays.

yes i am aware of that...it wasnt a serious suggestion, i just love the word
binary.basher
i dont know. i just know when certain big words should be used. lol. i just guess and it makes you win arguments cos its funny, but gretin is a thing my geeky hacker friend says to noobs. it think its something off star trek.
and fallacy is like a dishonor of some nature

I'd normally argue against that fallacy of a definition, but in this case I will will stray from conflict. You know, just in case I should fall into an argument, I would surely fall down at any utterance of 'gretin'.
binary.basher
gretin...... and falicy:0

Is that supposed to say "cretin" and "fallacy" by any chance?

I'm not quite sure if your master plan will actually work, but thought I'd contribute to the pot nevertheless:

Acrimonious. Bitter in sharp in language or tone.

Good luck getting that in there. I remember that in the 15 minute revision class just before my GCSE English exams, my mate in the seat next to me challenged me to squeeze in the phrase "mail order Thai brides" somewhere in one of my answers.

Well...I'm never one to turn down a challenge :P
you dont type.... lol.
shush. im not serious keenos like you
Reply 28
magnamious and acquiescent
Poems:

A few of many... some of the more important, higher level ones with a brief explanation.

Caesura = Irregular punctuation for example in the middle of a line e.g "Spinster."
Synthesisia = Describing the senses vividly.
Iambic Pentameter = 10 syllable line.
Personification = Giving a non living thing life like qualities e.g "The chair flew"
Juxtapostion = Two contrasting ideas "Love's hate"
Onomatopoeia = A word that imitates the sound it is describing e.g. "Crash"

Book:
Pathetic Fallacy: Where to weather etc reflects the mood e.g. in TKAMB it was a "hot" summer as the trial and events were "hot". Also on a horror film it might be raining and stormy.
Billdungsroman: Following a character growing up. E.g. TKAMB would be a billdungsroman as it follows Scout growing up and maturing.

Anthony:smile:
Reply 30
For To Kill A Mockingbird, I like 'incontrovertible', which means unquestionable or indisputable evidence.
The point of a GCSE exam in English Lit is writing a cogent and coherent analytical text if you try to impress the examiner by using overly complex vocabulary you will disturb the flow of your analysis. This strategy will most likely make you lose marks.
Besides, it's literature, not language. The main skills you're supposed to show are the ability to structure an essay, communicate efficiently, a creative literary appreciation and knowledge of the texts you studied. By all means use relevant literary vocabulary when appropriate, but simple concepts such as 'narrative' or 'character', while sounding absolutely unimpressive, are still congruent with literary appreciation and will give you marks.
binary.basher
you dont type.... lol.
shush. im not serious keenos like you

Frankly, it's nothing to do with you. If you come into a thread claiming to be helping someone, make sure you get your facts right. Not for your sake, for theirs.
Reply 33
Svefngenglar
The point of a GCSE exam in English Lit is writing a cogent and coherent analytical text if you try to impress the examiner by using overly complex vocabulary you will disturb the flow of your analysis. This strategy will most likely make you lose marks.
Besides, it's literature, not language. The main skills you're supposed to show are the ability to structure an essay, communicate efficiently, a creative literary appreciation and knowledge of the texts you studied. By all means use relevant literary vocabulary when appropriate, but simple concepts such as 'narrative' or 'character', while sounding absolutely unimpressive, are still congruent with literary appreciation and will give you marks.

Exactly !

This is what I was trying to say, only no-where near as coherently. :five:
images of insubstantiality .... mythopoeic ..... indubitably .... existantial
Reply 35
In my Lit last year, I think I wrote that 'Of Mice and Men is a savage inditement of the fundamentals of the American Dream' - I was quite proud of myself for that one.

One the subject of putting stupid things in to English exam,s I have a friend who wrote that 'Lenny totally pwned Curly when he broke his hand'. Needless to say, he failed.
Ed.
What's the point ?

If you learnt a long word just to sound clever it will show through in your work. It will make you look infantile and frankly stupid. What will the examiner think if a majority of your answer is in simple teenager English, then you drop Bildungsroman into a sentence. You are far better off studying your set texts than learning long words.

That's what my teacher said. He said examiners know the difference between someone who is intelligent and someone who is just trying to sound clever by using the odd complicated word and it stands out like a sore thumb!

Latest