The Student Room Group

subject choices?

this year, i'm taking maths, chemistry, biology & english lit, and now im wondering what to drop next year. initially, i was considering taking 4 A levels but i think that's out of the question now, because i doubt i'll be able to cope with it. i've contacted the universities i want to apply to, and they all say that dropping maths and carrying on with chemistry, biology & englit won't put me at a disadvantage, but is this true?
any help appreciated, thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Yes, they're not lying to you.
lotusx
they all say that dropping maths and carrying on with chemistry, biology & englit won't put me at a disadvantage, but is this true?

If you can't trust the universities you are applying to give you correct information, who can you trust?
Reply 3
it's not that i don't trust them, it's just that i'd like another opinion.
lotusx
it's not that i don't trust them, it's just that i'd like another opinion.

The only opinion that really matters is that of the admissions tutors. You have this.
Reply 5
i'd drop one of maths or eng lit. neither will be more advantageous to have at A2 for medicine. but some universities like the all science combination whereas some like to see an arts subject. your choice.
Reply 6
Good bloke
The only opinion that really matters is that of the admissions tutors. You have this.

i guess so. thanks :smile:
imtired
Some ask for a non-science AS, some ask for three science A2s, with most you could drop either maths or literature. If you look at the requirements for universities you might want to go to they will have more details about entry.

She has already done better than that, as you can see in the OP: she has spoken to the ones she intends to apply to.
English Lit A2 is more effort than the other three combined...that's what it's feeling like at the moment anyway! If it's between English and Maths then drop the one you enjoy the least. Or just carry all 4 on as it's unlikely the 4th will be included in your offer (at anything more than a C). Unless you apply to Cambridge and they offer you AAAAAAA or something silly like that.
Reply 9
What is it with Maths this year? :confused:
Reply 10
drop whichever you're worst at, wait til results day.
Reply 11
Saffie
drop whichever you're worst at, wait til results day.

i think the plan that i came up with was to carry on with all 4 until the end of the year, wait till results day and then drop whichever one i wanted next september.

Latest

Trending

Trending