The Student Room Group
It's because the distance isn't proportional to the force (I think, cant really remember topic, and not my exam board, but hey :p:)

So if would give a concave curve
Reply 2
of couse it can't be linear! If you read the labels on the graph... I mean when the position of the force is at its largest distance from the pivot, how can the force be 0N???....

However that year exam was really really hard 4 me! good luck 4 thursday! :wink:
Reply 3
I know it doesn't start at the origin cos I know that the force is greater than 0N even when the distance is really large, but that doesn't explain why the curve is curved rather than a straight line with a y intercept
Reply 4
I dunno... why dont u try to working out values for F as you move it closer to the pivot and then plot it, to see what comes up? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
moment= fd

f= moment x (1/d)

f- 1/d graph would be a straight line, f-d should be somewhat curved

by the way force cannot be on pivot if it has to keep the system in balance, so the force never reaches the pivot such that the curve never touches the vertical line through pivot.

that's how I worked it out, but dunno if the actual physics is correct. Better check it with your teacher.

Latest