The Student Room Group

Picking Rooms for a House

Its a bit annoying I can't post this anonymously because I know my housemates read this and I'm sure them reading it isn't going to help the situation. (if you are reading this, sorry but I think that its out of order and just want to know what other people would do.)

Well basically yesterday I went to London all day and didn't get back till the evening. I got a text in the afternoon from one of my housemates for next year saying that I have an important email about the house, to which I replied, that I was in London. And I didn't hear anything after that.
When I got home at about midnight I read the original email which went along the lines of " Were deciding the the rooms by email first come first served" and had four other emails saying room by room they they were gone until none but the box room was left. I wouldn't care but I've said from the start I'd have liked the downstairs room and I just think its a really stupid way of doing it. Also the person who text me could have easily told me in the text.
So now I'm stuck with the box room and I've explained what happened to which the other housemates basically don't care. Is there anything I can do or am I stuck?

Sorry I did forget to add that the rent is lower for the smaller room.
Reply 1
Say that if the room is substantially smaller than the others that you think the rent should be lower ... either that or you all swap rooms round halfway through. I personally don't think it's fair that they decided this way when you all didn't have equal access to a computer, and didn't know that it was going to be decided this way - also, presumably the emails were going to someone who's also going to be in the house, surely that means that one person was 'first' anyway? Tbh, it seems a dodgy way of doing it all round, and to me it's a way that's definitely going to annoy someone. Far better, if you can't decide on the rooms, to do it face to face in some truly random way, like throwing a dice or drawing straws.
Reply 2
Hmmm. I dunno. Maybe you could refuse to move in with them next year if this is the kind of thing that they are going to do. And bring up all the points as to why. But I don't think that would help as then you would have nowhere to live and may be rather childish.

You could point out that since you said that you were in London that day, they could have let you send your answer for what room you wanted, as it was unfair that you didn't even know this was going on. Were you even included in the decision of deciding rooms by email? If not that is also another point you could bring up. But that doesn't necessarily change anything. :frown:

I'm sorry but I can't think what else to suggest :sad: Good luck though as that is out of order :hugs:
Reply 3
Paeony
Say that if the room is substantially smaller than the others that you think the rent should be lower ... either that or you all swap rooms round halfway through. I personally don't think it's fair that they decided this way when you all didn't have equal access to a computer, and didn't know that it was going to be decided this way - also, presumably the emails were going to someone who's also going to be in the house, surely that means that one person was 'first' anyway? Tbh, it seems a dodgy way of doing it all round, and to me it's a way that's definitely going to annoy someone. Far better, if you can't decide on the rooms, to do it face to face in some truly random way, like throwing a dice or drawing straws.

You have a good point. There should be an impartial method of decsion. Either a neutral party should have been recruited (an indifferent friend for instance) if they'd wanted to do it by email. Or by any other method like the dice or straws. Possibly with someone to oversee? Just a thought. :smile:
They sound like bitches really. What a stupid way of doing it?! Why not meet up when you're all free and draw straws? How is it fair if you were in London and not able to do get to a computer?

When I moved into my uni house, we met up and picked names out of a hat (I was unlucky and got the box room), which was fair. We agreed to swap rooms halfway through the year but the girl in the biggest room turned out to be the most selfish inconsiderate person i've ever met and didn't swap, so I was in the box room for 2 years :frown: When her and one of my other housemates moved in together after uni, the selfish one got stuck with the box room and said they had to swap half way through. Stupid bitch.
Reply 5
I don't think that's fair, not your fault you couldn't get online! Ask them to rethink, do straws or some other method. In my house we chose by deciding concession rents on the crap room/ extra rent for the good rooms and then just decided based on who was willing to pay more/ who wanted to pay less.
Reply 6
they sound like *****'s to me, if you had a dib on a room it should be yours, tell em to feck off and re-decide.
Reply 7
Thanks for all the comments, I have been speaking to them about the situation but they don't seem to be backing down but thank you all anyway :smile:
Reply 8
People are really selfish about rooms. With my group of people, we haven't decided yet but we gave our preferences. There's one smaller room which none of us really want even though the rent is lower, but everyone is doing the "It honestly doesn't matter, I'm not that concerned" thing, when they blatantly are.
Next year, I'm in a house of 4 massive rooms, 1 normal double, and a boxroom. (When I say massive, they are - huge!). Because of the room situation, we decided to sort out who was in the boxroom before we agreed on the house, it was just going to cause too much tension.
I completely agree what your friends did was out of order; it should be left to random. As it was, we couldn't agree on who would get the boxroom, so we all left the flat and started walking away... and as we walked away my friend and I realised we'd be totally gutted if we didn't get the flat, as we loved it. So we get first pick of all the other rooms, and switch halfway through the year :smile: I'm not saying I'm looking forward to the small room, but at the end of the day noone got bullied into doing it and it's far fairer.
Ahh we haven't sorted out who has the box room yet. I pray to god it's not me.

I doubt they'll back down, they're all happy with their rooms, they're not going to risk getting the smallest one for the sake of your happiness. Just start eating their cheese when you move in. Maybe accidently leave their milk out when they go home for the weekend. Generally be a dairy fiend.
I'd say you should kick up a fuss, but if stuck with the box room command, say, a corner of the lounge, saying 'OMG that room is just TOO SMALL so all my tampons have to be out here'. To be fair it sounds like your future housemates are cows and it's a shame you can't get out of it.
You are also entitled to:

*Most of the storage space.
*Biggest cupboard in the kitchen.
*Unlimited command of the lounge when it comes to drying clothing.
*The best desk chair.

Oh and make sure you play your music REALLY loudly, when people complain 'OMG its cos like my room is too small so I have to put my speakers up against d wallz. OMG is ur room other side of d wall???!! BAD LUCKS I LIKE LISTENING TO SLAYER HAHAHA'

Try to think about advantages of the room. Is it nearer to bathroom? Front door? Nice view?
Reply 12
Hmm, well your housemates don't exactly sound like the loveliest of people. If they've got any decency at all they'll reallocate the rooms fairly, i.e. by drawing straws or names out of a hat etc. but tbh, it looks like they've screwed you over. At the very least you should negotiate lower rent on the smallest room or some other priveliges seeing as they basically have ganged up on you and forced you in there. Oh, and try and guilt trip someone into promising that they'll swap round with you halfway through, pick on the least evil one.

There's a box room in my house next year and we drew names for it and arranged it so that person paid £10 less rent a week, it was the only fair way. I'm glad I didn't get it but I really couldn't have tricked someone into getting it like that, I mean who does that to their friends?!
Reply 13
The only way to decide is to pick out of a hat. Putting 'dibs' on a room isn't any more fair than the way they've decided.
Reply 14
In my first year in my uni house i had the boxroom. I was going to swap with the person in the large upstairs room halfway through but we didnt bother in the end (the box room isnt *that* small and it was too much effort to move!!)

Now we seem to have a rule where whoever the newest person moving into the house is gets the smallest room :smile:
ITs just a room. Your friendship is more important.
Reply 16
I agree its a very unfair way to choose a room. was there noway you could have all got togehter on one day, it only takes about 10mins.
in my house for next year people said if they wanted a specific room, if noone opposed them they gt that. then the rest were just decided out of a hat.
DontBuyTheSun
ITs just a room.

Actually, this :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by hannah_dru
People are really selfish about rooms. With my group of people, we haven't decided yet but we gave our preferences. There's one smaller room which none of us really want even though the rent is lower, but everyone is doing the "It honestly doesn't matter, I'm not that concerned" thing, when they blatantly are.

:laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest