The Student Room Group

Access to Humanities and Social Science Kensington and Chelsea College...???

Hi,

I have come across Kensington and Chelsea college which offers Access course over one year to Humanities and Social Sciences...

It says that it has got links with SOAS and a number of places is reserved for this course students every year (a guaranteed interview based on your marks)...It also states that majority of students went on to UCL and Kings, where I eventually want to be accepted...

Has anyone done a course there or heard anything about this college???

Thanks...
Reply 1
Anyone???
Reply 2
Hi. I was wondering if you did the kcc course and what you thought. And also about applying to uni after as well. Did the college have good links? How was your general experience? Or where else did you go and how was that?
hello,
i dont think i can answer your question because i was accepted onto the access to higher education course in humanities for september 2014.

did you do the course last year? i have same questions you posted in 2012 :smile: how was it? and where did you go to study?

thanks
Reply 4
Hi I have an entrance exam with KCC this Tuesday for HE Access Humanties.
I've been out of education for 6 years.
Please could anyone suggest any tests or study to prepare for the assessment or what I should expect?
Any web addresses that have helped you would be greatly appreciated.
I don't want to get rejected. I need to be on the course to get into Sussex Uni by Sept 2015.

All the best, DD
hello :smile:

i did this test 3 weeks ago.
dont worry!
The maths test is simple ( even for me ! and im pretty bad at maths! )
you will get simple percentage tasks , like 70 % of £155 or somethings. there will be a few text tasks about percentages too.
revise fractions. I think i got 1 or 2 simple fractions tasks ( e.g. 5 1/4 - 2 1/4)
make sure you can subtract, multiply, divide and add simple numbers.
revise area and volume formulas. there was one or two tasks. I didnt do them because i completely forgot the formulas for volume and area stuff although i did the test well. So dont worry about it!

the english test was also ok ( especially if are you a native speaker. im from germany and i was a bit worried about it. but it was ok :smile: )
you will get one text ( i think 2 pages long) about an academic topic ( but not too difficult. my was about different families types before /during the industrial revolution) . you'll have to summarise it in your own words.
the second and the last english task will be an essay. you will have to write an essay about one topic out of 5 or 6 given to you. the essay shouldnt be that long . ( i can't remember for sure but i think it should be about 500-600 words long)

hope it helps!! and good luck ! :smile:
Reply 6
Hi Anna thanks for your reply :smile:! It has been a great help.
Do you know what happens after?
And should I be prepared for or bring a personal statement with me?

I just read an old KCC email and realised I didn't attend the open day on July 5th suggested to 'secure a place' should I be worried :s
All the best, DD
Reply 7
Original post by anna.l
hello,
i dont think i can answer your question because i was accepted onto the access to higher education course in humanities for september 2014.

did you do the course last year? i have same questions you posted in 2012 :smile: how was it? and where did you go to study?

thanks

Hi Anna maybe i can help you out I did the access course at KCC last year for humanities and have just finished now, what are you hoping to study at university?
The course itself was very interesting but very hard we had a pretty low attendance rate in general, my advice to you is to stay focused as it is surprisingly easy to slack off. I had a friend who for the last month of the course was the only person in her english lit class and for me there were only really 3 people turning up to the psychology class at the end. I applied to liverpool, sussex, leicester, middlesex and uel and got offers from them all. I know there was at least one person in our course that got into cambridge to study law. I've got my results back and I got 36 distinctions enough to meet my offer for sussex which is where I really wanted to go.
Hello,

the HE access course starts in september. i will have to apply for universities from september until january. i think i will need my predictable grades although im not sure yet how it all works :/
i want to study english , german and spanish as a beginner. i looked up on ucas and there are less universities that offer this course than i expected .
apparently i will have to apply for combined honours and then i will chose 3 languages.
I thought Durham and Liverpool would be nice . Durham is a bit tough to get in. Therefore i would be more than happy, if i could get a place at the university of liverpool.
im from germany and my german is fluent and native :smile: i want to study german and english ( english not as a beginner, i hope i could do it...) the thing is , i want to work somewhere overseas teaching english later after the uni. and the english degree for a not native speaker might be very helpful for me.

what are you studying now ? did you have to apply for unis with your predictable grades too?

p.s. feel free to correct my mistakes :smile:
Original post by cyn4psy
Hi Anna thanks for your reply :smile:! It has been a great help.
Do you know what happens after?
And should I be prepared for or bring a personal statement with me?

I just read an old KCC email and realised I didn't attend the open day on July 5th suggested to 'secure a place' should I be worried :s
All the best, DD

hello,sorry it took me too long to reply. i was away for a week. how was your interview day? i hope it all went well and you got a place at the college.
Reply 10
Original post by anna.l
Hello,

the HE access course starts in september. i will have to apply for universities from september until january. i think i will need my predictable grades although im not sure yet how it all works :/
i want to study english , german and spanish as a beginner. i looked up on ucas and there are less universities that offer this course than i expected .
apparently i will have to apply for combined honours and then i will chose 3 languages.
I thought Durham and Liverpool would be nice . Durham is a bit tough to get in. Therefore i would be more than happy, if i could get a place at the university of liverpool.
im from germany and my german is fluent and native :smile: i want to study german and english ( english not as a beginner, i hope i could do it...) the thing is , i want to work somewhere overseas teaching english later after the uni. and the english degree for a not native speaker might be very helpful for me.

what are you studying now ? did you have to apply for unis with your predictable grades too?

p.s. feel free to correct my mistakes :smile:

Predicted grades are for A-Level students. With the access course you don't have predicted grades, as you wont have done enough work for them to really know what level your working at by the time you're applying for universities in december. So it's really your personal statement, other relevant qualifications and the reference your tutor at kcc does that the university will use to judge wether they want you or not. But don't worry there are quite a few universities that like access students as they're seen as 'mature students'.
My advice for you is to make sure you look at the websites of the universities you are interested in and make sure you have the necessary GCSEs or equivalents if not you can take them with your access course.

Also Liverpool's offer for access students is quite high even though they say on their website they want the majority of credits to be distinctions they specifically want you to have 45 distinctions which is doable but hard Durham want 30 distinctions which is quite a comfortable offer if you put the work in. Also try to go to as many open days that are relevant for your course. I'm sure you'll do well!

I'll be going to uni in september to study psychology, this year has gone so fast!
Original post by Livvy.B
Predicted grades are for A-Level students. With the access course you don't have predicted grades, as you wont have done enough work for them to really know what level your working at by the time you're applying for universities in december.

Not necessarily. My tutor put predicted grades on my UCAS application for Access. (I know, because I was sitting with her when she did it!) Perhaps it isn't a strict requirement for Access, but I think tutors do usually put predicted grades in.
Hey everyone,

i will be doing an access to higher education course in humanities at kensington and chelsea college. the course starts on the 8th of sept.
has someone done this course ? how was it and what did you do on the first day? did you get a place at the university after the course?

thanks in advance
Hi guys, I applied for this course last night, all going well I'll be on it in September. The only query is that I was bamboozled by the 'any other messages' box, as I didn't know whether you had to submit a personal statement in this particular box? There wasn't another available box for a personal statement, so I'm guessing they judge you primarily on the interview?
Thanks!!
Reply 14
can anyone give some insight into what it was like to study the Access to HE course at KCC and what you did after finishing it?
Thank you!
Original post by scunill
can anyone give some insight into what it was like to study the Access to HE course at KCC and what you did after finishing it?
Thank you!

Hey, this thread is quite old, please make a new thread if you have a question. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending