The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oryt you just got me panicked cos I've not been taught anything on the electoral system itself in america....just voting behaviour, immigration, powers of the president and inequalities
Reply 61
oatsandhoney
oryt you just got me panicked cos I've not been taught anything on the electoral system itself in america....just voting behaviour, immigration, powers of the president and inequalities

Thats all you need to know. Don't panic.
I fancy my chances with UK Electoral Systems, UK Wealth and Health (the social and economic differences one that always comes up), South African Politics and Checks and Balances/Powers of the President for USA.
Reply 63
I didn't get taught anything to do with the USA, and im going for UK PM powers etc, Electoral Systems, UK Health and Wealth, and CHHHINA :biggrin:
Reply 64
I always thought China sounded much more interesting than the Republic Of South Africa... :smile:
Was it decent, then? I'm taking Higher Modern Studies next year :smile:
Reply 66
It's a really interesting course :smile:

The exam's on Thursday, really hoping for some good questions on politics :biggrin:
Cool, it's one of the Highers I'm actually interested in.
mattbroon
The biggest disadvantsge of first past the post, is that not every vote really counts, as there is not proportional representation, as seen to an extent in scottish elections. For example a Labour MP could win a seat by one vote, yet the conservative with 20,234 votes, would not get anything for receiving such a high percentage of vote, and would instead be in the same position as a candidate with 4 votes. Thus, there could be a situation, as was the case in the 2000 presidential election in the USA, where AL Gore received more votes than Bush, but Bush won, due to the states which he one.

This would partially be overcome by the system in France, as the top candidates who receive over a certain %, would then be able to go into a run-off, as seen at the last presidential campaign with Zarkosy, where the candidates who dont finish first get some "reward" for their high vote tally. I could continue but i dont want to bore

Sorry, just an observervor. But techinally that is incorrect:
With 269 electoral votes needed to win, Bush defeated Gore by a margin of 271 to 266...

But may I add....
I'm really not a big supporter of Bush at all! :smile: Or the Republicans for that matter!
Reply 69
SomethingSomething
Sorry, just an observervor. But techinally that is incorrect:
With 269 electoral votes needed to win, Bush defeated Gore by a margin of 271 to 266...

But may I add....
I'm really not a big supporter of Bush at all! :smile: Or the Republicans for that matter!

Well, no actually, you're wrong. If you factor in all the "lost" ballot papers, the blacks who were disenfranchised by a racist system and all the behind closed doors deals which were done. Actually, Gore got more votes.
Reply 70
I'm doing Int 2 on thursday and I'm struggling to get my head round the sheer amount of information there is to the KU questions!! (50% on source questions makes it a bit easier but neverthless)

I've studied Crime and Law, Decision making in Scotland and South Africa.

I'm doing higher next year. I like the course itself, but the revision is hectic. We're studying Central Gov't, health and wealth, China, and Africa. Can anyone tell me what these units are like to study?
Reply 71
China is far more interesting than africa, and africa is just a massive topic. With human biology out of the way, i can finally get onto revision for mods.

This is not going to be fun.
I need to properly start revising for this since Biology is outta the way. Gonna focus on China political system and Health and Wealth. H&W is a big weakness for me, got 6/15 in my prelim essay and all my other essays were 10+.
Reply 73
hey, my topics are:

America: immigration, social and economical, powers of the president
Health and Wealth-
China- human rights, social and economical improvements and politics
Britain- voting behaviour, voting systems and pressure groups

My teachers think that for America- powers of the president will come up but they havent guessed anyothers, anyone got any ideas about china or britain??

My essays are all ok but ive not done a powers of the president essay yet. Im really struggling with the structure of it all. Does anone have a good plan or essay that you could email me so that i can see how to do it?

The same for social and economical in china would be appreciated!

please help !! :smile:
Reply 74
kiwi-93
I'm doing Int 2 on thursday and I'm struggling to get my head round the sheer amount of information there is to the KU questions!! (50% on source questions makes it a bit easier but neverthless)

I've studied Crime and Law, Decision making in Scotland and South Africa.

I'm doing higher next year. I like the course itself, but the revision is hectic. We're studying Central Gov't, health and wealth, China, and Africa. Can anyone tell me what these units are like to study?

Central gov't for me is just a b-. You learn about the powers of the PM and where his power are declining. You get taught about the excutive, electoral systems and parliament and just a heap of things that once you get your head round its fine. And because i can not get my head round it, it's not fine. I'ts baaad. Health and wealth is fine, i think it's the most straight forward one. Taught about discrimination of ethnic minorities and women. The elderly and taxes and oh the welfare state. China is quite a small unit in comparison to the others, and i quite like it. You get taught about dissidents and the CPC and opposition to the gov't. As for Africa, it is too long for me to even try and revise. You get taught about NGOs and charities and a heap of other things which i cant think about right now. Good luck on your int 2. :smile:

Not looking forward to this exam! If anybody has any essays on china or the powers of the PM in decline i would be really appreciative if i could take a look.:^_^:
Reply 75
Powers of the President was my prelim essay :smile:

Just list all of his powers, as detailed as you can, then, in a seperate paragraph, go through the different limitations, checks and balances he faces from Congress and the Supreme Court.

For powers think about things like Veto, Pocket Veto, Executive Orders, Commander-in-Cheif of armed forces etc

And for limitations think 2/3 majority to overcome veto, and Supreme judges being life-time figures, meaning the President can never pick all of his judges :smile:

You'll be fine!
Reply 76
thanks, im going to write it just now so i can try and remember it for thursday !!
Reply 77
No probs :smile:

That's the way to go about it.

Try timing yourself on it tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 78
What would you guys say is the most important factor influencing voting behaviour. Social class or media?
Reply 79
Could anyone tell me how I could exemplify the pros and cons of the children's hearing panel? it seems a bit self-explanatory but it's stumped me a bit...

Latest

Trending

Trending