The Student Room Group

Experiment Help!!

HI just looking at practical past papers and stuck on this Q:

Plan an investigation into relationship between Intensity of light from a small filament lamp and distance from the map.

You have; filament lamp, LDR - calibrated to give reading in LUX (i.e. intensity), metre rule and 50cm of black paper tube to act as a light shield.

Draw a diagram (dont expect you to do this lol!) indicating clearly the distance to be measured. Explain how you would measure this distance..

Then the next part asks: state any special precautions you would take, other than using the light shield, to ensure that the measured intensity was that of the lamp!

Thanks all!
Reply 1
Do you know about inverse square laws?
Reply 2
Have the tube with the ruler next to it. At one end of the tube you have the LDR , at the other the lamp. Record the distance and the intensity. Then move the lamp forward and take the recordings again. Rinse and repeat to find a list of intensity against distance results. As you know from the distance squared rule you should then convert the distance (x) to (1/x^2), plot this against the intensities and show that it's a straight line.

As for precautions I guess this is simply make sure that there is no background light (eg. turn off lights in room), take several measurements and maybe even change the equipment if you need. How detailed precautions you give depends on how many marks are on offer (I'm guessing 2).

Latest