The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

royal holloway

What's it like? i hear it's good for english and drama, but isn't very well known and the areas really quiet and there's hardly anything to do? is it true? :confused:

also does anyone know if it's worth applying to ucl when i only got abbb at AS? i think the entry requirements something like two As and a B and i'm only predicted abbb :eek:

Scroll to see replies

What are you applying for? UCL is very competitive.

Royal Holloway is a nice place.. think it's about a 45 mins to an hour journey into London. My friend really likes it there, but he did say it was a bit too quite for him. (But he wanted to be in the city).
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
little_melanie
What's it like? i hear it's good for english and drama, but isn't very well known and the areas really quiet and there's hardly anything to do? is it true? :confused:

also does anyone know if it's worth applying to ucl when i only got abbb at AS? i think the entry requirements something like two As and a B and i'm only predicted abbb :eek:

It is pretty well known, and should be much more recognised. It's a top ten research institution, and is on level footing with King's at the moment (It's a college in the University of London).

I am really enjoying myself here!
Reply 3
i don't know if the english and drama was cos that's what u want to do or just because that's what you know it well for but it is amazing for drama.... something like 60 optional mods to choose between etc
little_melanie

It's currently ranked 15th, one place ahead of Kings and two ahead of Manchester, although University league tables probably aren't a very accurate measurement. Contrary to popular belief it's not quiet and dull. Think of it this way - it's a place full of students! Egham itself is actually rather painfully dull and very small hence most people make a (quick-ish) trek to Staines/Windsor or even better London (which takes less than 40 mins to get to) to shop.

Did I ever mention how beautiful the Royal Holloway campus is, and what an amazing community there is?!
Reply 5
Close enough to London to get extra funding... far enuf out that u may not need it! yey!
the actual campus is beautiful, and egham isnt that bad, just nothing to do (i used to go to college there). you can also go out in staines.... thats if you want to risk getting mugged by a bunch of pikeys (i live there). windsor is pretty cool, and so is kingston, and central londons only 30 mins on the train (but for a stupid reason the last train is about midnight, so no such luck for a late night!!!)
Reply 7
jamieholmear
the actual campus is beautiful, and egham isnt that bad, just nothing to do (i used to go to college there). you can also go out in staines.... thats if you want to risk getting mugged by a bunch of pikeys (i live there). windsor is pretty cool, and so is kingston, and central londons only 30 mins on the train (but for a stupid reason the last train is about midnight, so no such luck for a late night!!!)

Yea - the campus is amazing! This must be the UK's best architecturally looking campus.
Reply 8
The wolf what do u mean my getting mugged by pikeys at staines?
Reply 9
HITMAN_No1
The wolf what do u mean my getting mugged by pikeys at staines?

????
TheWolf
Yea - the campus is amazing! This must be the UK's best architecturally looking campus.

my friend told me it's hella far away from the city. is that true?
Reply 11
lost_in_cyberia
my friend told me it's hella far away from the city. is that true?

Yes.
TheWolf
Yes.

Actually no. And I can confirm that because I'm a Royal Holloway student and have been regularly going to London since I've got here. In fact I plan to go down there tonight (to go home and finish my evening!).
waiting2smile
Actually no. And I can confirm that because I'm a Royal Holloway student and have been regularly going to London since I've got here. In fact I plan to go down there tonight (to go home and finish my evening!).

ok but what about goin to get some necessities from the supermarket? do i need to go to london in order to get them then?
lost_in_cyberia
ok but what about goin to get some necessities from the supermarket? do i need to go to london in order to get them then?

No. Not at all. If there isn't anything you can't find in Egham you just get the bus to Staines.
Reply 15
lost_in_cyberia

For things I can't really get in the College Shop on campus, I always use the Tesco in Egham. Cheap value food, yay!
Reply 16
waiting2smile
It's currently ranked 15th, one place ahead of Kings and two ahead of Manchester, although University league tables probably aren't a very accurate measurement. Contrary to popular belief it's not quiet and dull. Think of it this way - it's a place full of students! Egham itself is actually rather painfully dull and very small hence most people make a (quick-ish) trek to Staines/Windsor or even better London (which takes less than 40 mins to get to) to shop.

Did I ever mention how beautiful the Royal Holloway campus is, and what an amazing community there is?!

Shall we step up the campaign to get a Royal Holloway subforum? We really do deserve it! I'm pleased to note that the UEL subforum is no more...
kew96158
Shall we step up the campaign to get a Royal Holloway subforum? We really do deserve it! I'm pleased to note that the UEL subforum is no more...

I PMed M, and am still awaiting a reply. I highly doubt one will be made, but there's no harm in hoping...
Reply 18
waiting2smile
I PMed M, and am still awaiting a reply. I highly doubt one will be made, but there's no harm in hoping...

Well, hopefully he'll see sense...
kew96158
Well, hopefully he'll see sense...

yay we should definitely have a royal holloway sub-forum, sent my application off three days ago, am quite nervous but excited can't wait for rejections and offers to come through...

if my offer's quite low for RH i'll definitly put it as my insruance. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending