The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Chances of getting in

I'm in the middle of doing my A2's now, I didn't apply to university last year and I'm going to be going on a gap year this year. I've just come out of a really terrible geography AS paper resit, I know the mark will not go up and its pretty certain my geography grade at the end of my A level will be a C. It is most probable I'll get ABC or BBC. I know they are quite strict on the entry requirements and they expect most of their candidates to get above 3Bs considdering the quality of the university but the subject I am applying to is not oversubscribed - Divinity. I'm not just banking on the fact that they have enough places to offer everyone who applies but my personal statement should probably be the best one there due to examples of my interest in the subject - the fact that I am spending my whole gap year working in a cathedral and living in the close. So what do you guys think?
Hey there,
I do Divinity and would say that it would be definately worth giving it a shot. It is not at all overprescribed but they may have a policy about restrictions on grades common to the entire school of Social Sciences and Humanity which they have to adhere to. You've got nothing to lose really by applying, if you are going to get onto a course while narrowly missing out on the required grades this is the one to go for. However if they think that the grades you have show you may not be able to keep up with the workload then that'll be their reason of rejection... I say go for it and keep your fingers crossed =) And yeh about the personal statement, throw everything related into it and show you're really enthusiastic about the subject. Good luck!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
You could resit the geo paper during that gap year. If it was really bad.
Reply 3
i dont think they will let you in if their minimum entrance requirements are BBB as edinburgh really mean that these are the MINIMUM, there is still a chance with a subject such as divinity if you write an absolutely fantastic personal statement though and have a good reference
Talk to the university about your case in September once you actually have your results. And if you are on a C, why don't you try resitting during the following year I'm sure you can fit a couple of exams in around your gap year activities. :smile:
Reply 5
O yes, I would gladly resit the geography paper again to get a B but would they just reject me anyway seeing as I got the C..I would be ecstatic if I instead of getting an unconditional offer got a conditional of getting all Bs.
Pheradin
O yes, I would gladly resit the geography paper again to get a B but would they just reject me anyway seeing as I got the C..I would be ecstatic if I instead of getting an unconditional offer got a conditional of getting all Bs.

Well if you are putting in for a resit you won't be saying that you got a C in geography, you'll be putting on the form that the result is pending and that you are taking it in the next exam sitting. You would therefore be looking to get a conditional offer... I would still ring them in September to see what admissions in Divinity had to say though :smile:
What would happen if you need BBB minimum to get into my law course, but say i got for example AAC - would the C mean that they won't accept me?! i really think this is going to happen to me :frown:
Reply 8
i looked in the prospectus this morning (it is for 2006 though so may not be up to date) and there is a course BD Divinity (bachelors and honours) which has the entrance requirements of BBC at A-level
WackoJacko12345
What would happen if you need BBB minimum to get into my law course, but say i got for example AAC - would the C mean that they won't accept me?! i really think this is going to happen to me :frown:

It depends what that C is in, if its in something unrelated like maths for example they might let it slide, but if it was in English it could be grim.
I think i'll be ok in English Lit and Religious Studies but it's Classical Civilisation I think i'm in danger of dropping to a C. So it's not really law related or anything. I emailed them anyways to ask so they'll hopefully get back to me. I read on another post somewhere though that Edinburgh are really strict on the requirements and that you can't trade an AAC result for BBB and that the BBB is non-negotiable.

Better go hit the books for Classical Civilisation then hadn't I :P
Isn't law really competitive and popular? In which case they can probably easily fill in the places with firm and insurance people who met the offer, and therefore they most likely won't be lenient with offers.
FTC199
i looked in the prospectus this morning (it is for 2006 though so may not be up to date) and there is a course BD Divinity (bachelors and honours) which has the entrance requirements of BBC at A-level

That's for people that want to go into ministry.
Reply 13
TheeHelenine
That's for people that want to go into ministry.

i didnt know that, hmmm interesting
I do MA Divinity which is similiar in many ways... just BD is the route normally taken for those wanting to go into ministry, usually the church of scotland. I think it involves placements and probs pastoral courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending