The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sinuhe
Every enrolment certificate my college have given me has the following phrase:
'This is to certify that Mr XYZ is a full-time registered undergraduate student at XYZ College in the University of Oxford, studying for an MChem Honours degree in Chemistry.'
So I'm guessing we do have honours degrees. :smile:

Ah, right. Thanks for clarifying.:smile:
But what on earth is an enrolment certificate and what would you need it for?
hobnob

Good question. Erm, council tax exemptions maybe? Although obviously not a major issue if you're actually living in college...:confused:
Just to throw fuel onto the fire - where am I (going by what's in my handbook) you get an ordinary degree if you don't get the required credits (to not do it, you basically have to fail 4 modules or not do a dissertation and fail another)

You'd have to have a fantastic average though to still get away with a first.
Reply 43
hobnob

Hehe, it's just a letter signed and stamped by the college to confirm that you're a student. I don't think UK students really need enrolment certificates very often (except perhaps for council tax purposes as IlexAquifolium suggested), but I've needed one for lots of things - for arranging medical insurance, to prove that I've progressed to the next year so I can continue to get my scholarship, to get cheaper city bus tickets, to open a student deposit account, and I'm sure lots of other things I'm forgetting at the moment.
But then, I live in a heavily bureaucratic country that loves documents with various official looking stamps, so ... :rolleyes:
hobnob
But it's not quite as simple as that, actually, is it? I'm pretty sure Oxford doesn't have honours degrees, for example, so if I were to put "(hons)" after my BA that would be inaccurate.

i quoted the oxford engish dictionary
Reply 45
Sinuhe
Hehe, it's just a letter signed and stamped by the college to confirm that you're a student. I don't think UK students really need enrolment certificates very often (except perhaps for council tax purposes as IlexAquifolium suggested), but I've needed one for lots of things - for arranging medical insurance, to prove that I've progressed to the next year so I can continue to get my scholarship, to get cheaper city bus tickets, to open a student deposit account, and I'm sure lots of other things I'm forgetting at the moment.
But then, I live in a heavily bureaucratic country that loves documents with various official looking stamps, so ... :rolleyes:

Germany, right?:biggrin:
this is a really daft thread. is it really this difficult????
Reply 47
The Boosh
this is a really daft thread. is it really this difficult????

Well, no, I think we're just a bit bored, really...:wink:
Actually, come to think of it, why isn't this thread in GUD?:confused:
no idea
hobnob
Well, no, I think we're just a bit bored, really...:wink:
Actually, come to think of it, why isn't this thread in GUD?:confused:

cus for such a complex subject, only those with Hons can surely comprehend the system, so they turn to us gogs.
On my undergrad, no matter how someone did in other units, if they failed their dissertation, they were not awarded their degree, which apparently did happen to someone who was doing well otherwise. :s-smilie:
Lucien_Roach
Someone told me you get a degree no matter what.
Just if you get below 40% you lose the honours bit and just get a degree.
Whereas a 3rd, 2:2, 2:1 and 1st all are honours degrees.

But don't ask me I only am taking one!

Only if the person gets 35-39% in certain universities. UEA only awards honours now.
hobnob
But surely you couldn't actually get a "first without honours" in most cases because a lot of exam regulations specify that one of the conditions of getting a first is that you pass all papers and/or all of your marks are above a certain limit?:confused:

Oh I'm sure it would never actually happen. I'm just saying what I was told by the department at my previous university when I asked out of interest. I don't think any universities would let actually let you complete a degree without honours because like I said, its worth diddly squat.
Spanky Deluxe
Oh I'm sure it would never actually happen. I'm just saying what I was told by the department at my previous university when I asked out of interest. I don't think any universities would let actually let you complete a degree without honours because like I said, its worth diddly squat.

UEA used to and the OU will award a degree without honours if someone takes second year units instead of third year modules.
You can do ordinary and special degrees by not taking the honours programme at St Andrews - these aren't classified. Basically, if you are getting good grades in modules then you'll go on and get an honours degree, ordinary and special degrees are those who aren't capable of completing the honours programme.
Reply 55
Sinuhe

Yup, I needed one, because I live out of college accommodation (like a lot of second year undergrads at Wadham and Teddy Hall, to name a few).
According to my final transcript from Oxford, which I had to send off for postgrad applications, the university doesn't technically award degree classifications at all - either you pass with Hons, or without, or fail outright. The 1st/2:1/2:2 classification is only for the "convenience" of employers, other universities, etc.
And - I understand that the correct form for an Oxbridge degree is BA/BSc (Oxon), or BA/BSc (Cantab), not (Hons) - for those who care :smile:
Milady de Winter
And - I understand that the correct form for an Oxbridge degree is BA/BSc (Oxon), or BA/BSc (Cantab), not (Hons) - for those who care :smile:

I don't know about 'correct' form. (Hons) can be written after any honours degree. (Oxon) and (Cantab) are just ways to say where your degree is from. People from UoL universities can write (Lond). Its not really used by anyone outside of public school websites though in my experience.
Reply 59
Spanky Deluxe
I don't know about 'correct' form. (Hons) can be written after any honours degree. (Oxon) and (Cantab) are just ways to say where your degree is from. People from UoL universities can write (Lond). Its not really used by anyone outside of public school websites though in my experience.

The (Hons) bit or the (Oxon/Cantab) bit? Because I know a lot of people with business cards etc printed "Joe Bloggs, MA Oxon"

Latest

Trending

Trending