The Student Room Group
Your B grades may be predicted As if you got high Bs, and your C grades may be predicted Bs if they are high Cs.

Don't think you've messed up your academic future if you don't do as well as you'd like in your AS exams. Plus you can also resit exams if you really need to.
Reply 2
You looking to go to uni? I think the key is to get your school to predict you the grades you need, as this what Unis go by and thenthey make you an offer. Just use the new school as an excuse and that, and say you'll turn it 'round. I'm sure someone who got a*s could do that/
you think u got problems, im predicted B, E, U...

bb,cc is still way above the national average so u shouldnt be complaining about it on hereas there could be people doing much worse, saying you messed up the year with bb,cc lol id love to get those grades...
Reply 4
Okay - first of all, don't panic. Is there any chance you have done better in your exams than you think?

I know exactly where you are coming from - I've gone from a tiny all-girls private school (I mean tiny - my smallest class was three people!) to a local sixth form college of four thousand students. It can be very disorientating, and a bit lonely. You have really good GCSE results behind you, and you certainly aren't the first person so get a bit demotivated during a school year - the best thing to do is talk to your school about it now. What/where are you hoping to study?

Explain to your form tutor/school councillor just what you have to us, see if they agree to take it in to account when predicting your grades. They know it's going to affect your uni choices, and I'm sure they'll want to give you the fairest chance possible.
Reply 5
I got BCDDU last year and got offered a place at 2 ABB courses and one AAB,dont worry. I have terrible GCSE's as well BCCCCCCCCDDE lol.
Reply 6
Don't stress..Just focus on what you want to do and find a way to do it..
Its pretty vague so I'll use the phrase..

"Time and tide"
Reply 7
helepon
Thanks for this :smile: I'm looking to take Japanese & French at uni. Manchester and Edinburgh would be my first choices I think. I may apply to Oxford, since there's nothing to lose I guess. I'm a little limited on the whole though, since there's only a handful of places that offer Japanese!

I've got my last exams tomorrow morning, so I'll try and see my form tutor about it at lunch. The thing is, she's leaving after this year. It might be best if I try and get an appointment with the head of Sixth Form - several people have told me they've seen him about grades in the past.

Oh, I am pretty familiar with the places that offer Japanese - before I decided on English, I was pretty certain that I was going to go for Japanese Studies at Cambridge (IMHO Cambridge is stronger for Japanese than Oxford), but then I decided I would be happier on an English course. With GCSE grades like yours, I'd say you should definitely apply - like you say, what can you lose :smile:? Edinburgh is a good course too yep...Sheffield is another popular one for Japanese.

Good luck with your last exam - if your form tutor knows you best, then perhaps it is better to start off with her, and perhaps she can accompany you to speak to the head of Sixth Form? Let us know how it goes!
In response to the original question:

I think that in most cases you will still have a good chance of an offer on courses that demand more than you feel you have achieved. Oxford could be a slightly different matter though, applying with bbcc is going to be a problem. I would still apply, there really is nothing to lose, but do be aware that it could make things a little tricky. I happened to attend an event by one of the tutors from Oxford last night, and amongst other things he was discussing the whole application/interview/offer procedure. If you really are serious about applying then I would recommend that you attend one of the open days next month; you may well have the oppurtunity to meet someone who runs the course, you could then ask them directly.
Reply 9
helepon
Hi, I'm new here :smile: I'd like to know if anyone else is/has been in a similar situation to the one I'm in right now, and basically any advice would be more than welcome.

Prior to Year 12, I'd been at the same school all my life. It's a pretty small place, five minutes walk from my house, with a maximum of about 30 students per year. Everyone knew each other and so on. I got 10 A*s at GCSE there, and got accepted into a much larger grammar school about an hour from where I live.

You can probably imagine what a shock it was moving to this new school. I literally caved into myself for months, it was horrible... my school work was affected as well since I just wasn't happy.

I'm taking French, German, English lang/lit and Business Studies this year, and dropping the latter in Year 13. I've been predicted 4 As (based mainly on my GCSEs), but I know I won't get them this year. I've taken my AS exams in everything but Business so far, and I'm looking at B/C grades - next to no revision, poor timing, etc.

I know that next year I can get As if I work hard. The trouble is, my AS grades - and as a result, predicted A2s - are going to be a lot lower than this because of these circumstances.

Basically, have I missed my opportunities? Will I still be able to get offers for courses wanting ABB-AAA if I get, say, bbcc this year? :/

(I'm really sorry if these are stupid questions, I just feel like such an idiot for messing this year up)

I feel the same way, I've had a very difficult year due to various things and I think I've messed it up, got 9 A*s, 3 As and a B at GCSE and still want to go to Cambridge, so there are others in your situation!
Reply 10
No problem. Yeah, it is rather a coincidence! I'd agree that it's more important that you like the city itself, since you'd be getting a world class degree at either and they're both lovely places. Can't wait to go to the Oxford open day next month :biggrin: there's a Japanese restaurant there called Edamame that I love.

Latest