The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dripperj
They are the same thing. I think you had to mention transport molecules.

is against a conc. gradient and using energy from respiration ok?
x x x
ManuelB
Hi guys..
B3 it was ok but as always aqa make the biology paper too wordy.
Totally messed up on the products question. Miss read it and put Bread and Beer.

btw what did you put for the two reasons that the stomata are on the bottom side.
Me 1. less water loss due not in direct sunlight 2. no saturation of water can get in in rain because it is on the underside that could waterlogg the plant(the answer is abit dodgy)

my value that i said for protein conc was 0.75 -1 dm^3

i put bread and beer to for that questiojm
and our science teacher said that was rihgt
it wasnt asking for the products of the equation, but what products could b made
thats what he said :s-smilie:
Reply 42
JohnnyD
What do u reckon the Raw boundaries will be for this? Out of 45 - for A*-c

AQA scale everything by their Uniform Mark Scale.

To get 90 UMS in Module 3 I think you need 65%.
Reply 43
What did the question actually ask - what are the products of yeast fermentation or what could be made ?
riotsandraves
i put bread and beer to for that questiojm
and our science teacher said that was rihgt
it wasnt asking for the products of the equation, but what products could b made
thats what he said :s-smilie:

it said substances. beer and bread is not a substance. x
Reply 45
There's no doubt that the answer to that question was Carbon Dioxide and Ethanol.
cyborg
What did the question actually ask - what are the products of yeast fermentation or what could be made ?

siad the word substances! i initially put bread and alcohol but realised they are not substances!
xxx
Reply 47
that last question was awful, i really wasnt sure what they wanted. the thing was, the question said 'evaulate this statement' not 'evaluate the reasoning of this statement'. so i just went on to talk about how the statement was ambiguous and that if 'best source of protein' meant it provided the most protein, it was wrong, but if by 'best source' it meant closest to the recommended amount, the the statement was correct and for the conclusion i said, to be fully helpful, the statement would need to be disamiguified...i went out on a limb interpreting it that way, but that is actually answering the question exactly as it asked (evaluating the statement, not the evidence behind the statement).
I thought it was harddddd!
Reply 49
Two Things:

1) Why didn't that dog die?
I blanked and said smaller food molecules can still be absorbed :s-smilie:

2) How do you answer that question about the use of dogs?

haha i suck don't I!
I didn't like this paper much. I sat it straight after B2 and I thought B2 was so much easier (even though normally I'm better at B3). I got 93 UMS for B1 and a low A on ISA so 80 UMS minimum, might be more. This means I need 7 UMS over A* between the two papers e.g. 100 and 87 or 93 and 94. Hopefully I did good enough on B2 to make up for B3.

I put yeast fermentation is ethanol and water. I put carbon dioxide and crossed it out :frown:. This means I also got the bit about which of the tubes can be used for fermentation wrong :frown:. I put the one that didn't have gas but its the ones that did get gas isn't it?

On the last question, I just talked about how beef has more amino acids and wheat has some more, but they provide over your daily amount. And summed up saying beef was better because you need to eat less of it.

I hated the bubble fermenter question too. I put that the bubbles were there to give oxygen and take away carbon dioxide, even though that doesn't make sense. /I said to keep it sterile you should heat product entering it to sterilise them and don't leave the fermenter open to the air. I made it all up.

For diffusion/active transport, I put the concentration gradients and that active transport requires energy.

Hopefully, about 30-32/45 will be 90 UMS. What do you think you'll need for 100 UMS?
samm99
Two Things:

haha i suck don't I!

I put because digestive enzymes are also produced in small intestine.

I said it was good because it saved human lives, bad because dogs were killed and sumnmed up saying tehy were useful as human lives are worth more than dogs lives.
samm99
Two Things:

haha i suck don't I!

was this B2?
Reply 53
hahah yer it was B2, sorry! (A)
my bad...

but thanks anyway!
:biggrin:
Reply 54
Can we stick to the right exam please...lol.

moody you'll need around 74% for 100UMS.
dripperj
They are the same thing. I think you had to mention transport molecules.

Diffusion and active transport are not the same thing. Diffusion occurs when molecules or ions move spontaneously from areas of a high concentration to areas of low concentration and active transport is a process used by organisms to transport molecules or ions from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration, a process which requires the input of energy.

Marcus
Reply 56
33/45 for 100 UMS ? That's a bit low, isn't it ?
riiight.
Can we stick to the right exam please...lol.

moody you'll need around 74% for 100UMS.

how do you know? doesnt it depend upon everyones marks and how people found it?
x
Reply 58
moody28028
I didn't like this paper much. I sat it straight after B2 and I thought B2 was so much easier (even though normally I'm better at B3). I got 93 UMS for B1 and a low A on ISA so 80 UMS minimum, might be more. This means I need 7 UMS over A* between the two papers e.g. 100 and 87 or 93 and 94. Hopefully I did good enough on B2 to make up for B3.

I put yeast fermentation is ethanol and water. I put carbon dioxide and crossed it out :frown:. This means I also got the bit about which of the tubes can be used for fermentation wrong :frown:. I put the one that didn't have gas but its the ones that did get gas isn't it?

On the last question, I just talked about how beef has more amino acids and wheat has some more, but they provide over your daily amount. And summed up saying beef was better because you need to eat less of it.

I hated the bubble fermenter question too. I put that the bubbles were there to give oxygen and take away carbon dioxide, even though that doesn't make sense. /I said to keep it sterile you should heat product entering it to sterilise them and don't leave the fermenter open to the air. I made it all up.

For diffusion/active transport, I put the concentration gradients and that active transport requires energy.

Hopefully, about 30-32/45 will be 90 UMS. What do you think you'll need for 100 UMS?

I put exactly the same answers as you lol!!

What was the 90UMS boundary last time out of 45 for B2? its usually around 30/45. What do you reckon it'll be for A/B - I need that for an A*, - i really cant figure out whether or not people found this paper difficult or not
cyborg
Protein concentration: At the beginning as the concentration increased to 0.8 g/dm3 the bacteria reproduced exponentially as they doubled in number. Increasing the concentration to 5 g/dm3 provided only a little more growth, as by this time, as the metabolism of the bacteria generated heat and the ph of the culture changed, the growth of bacteria stopped and reached the plateau phase, where number reproduced = number of bacteria killed.

yes, but why? what is the explanation for this question?

moody28028
I didn't like this paper much. I sat it straight after B2 and I thought B2 was so much easier

oh, i thought b2 was harder than b3 IMO.....

Latest