The Student Room Group

2 years?

Hi, I've still got another year of sixth form left yet but I really want to do 2 gap years before uni - a whole year working and saving, and a whole year travelling and volunteering. But asking around it seems like this is quite unusual.. so is it ok to do that? and I don't really understand about the whole deferred entry thing because to do a gap year you apply but defer your entry a year.. so would it be possible to defer for 2 years or would I have to wait till the following year to apply?
Thanks
You would have to contact uni's directly about deferring two years, i don't think you can do that on ucas. Otherwise, just apply during your first gap year.

I've met a few people who've decided to take a second gap year while they were in their first, but i don't think it's too common for people to decide straight out that they want to do two.
Reply 2
Ah right, so I would have to ask about that before applying, thanks.
Reply 3
laurenh
Ah right, so I would have to ask about that before applying, thanks.

You could apply after the first gap year, so you still have another year before you start. I did it this way, turned out ok!
Reply 4
Applying for two gap years shouldn't be a problem, I'm just finishing my second now. I applied through UCAS in 2006 and will be enrolling this Sept. Deb is right, you should contact the uni in question first, to make sure, then remember to (re)inform them one year later.
Reply 5
oh right, so did you decide to do 2 years straight off or decide after the first year? and so you've had your place since you applied in 2006? thanks
Reply 6

Straight off, yes, and no problem.
Reply 7
im about do start a double gap year. Dont know if i should apply with defered entry or simply apply the year before i go to uni?
Reply 8
Apply with deferred entry. Less hassle for you during your gap years, and, for interviews, your subjects are still fresh in your head. Assuming you are doing something non-academic during your years out.
Reply 9
cant you just apply so that if you do change you mind you can still go to uni. then if not just apply again the following year

Latest