The Student Room Group

Transferring uni

Hey,

I have a dilemma....I am nearing the end of my first year at Durham studying Modern Languages (my degree title is somewhat misleading as I am only studying French - most people here study two or three languages). There are only four first year modules available for French which meant I had to choose a subsidiary subject for two modules. I opted for theology - Study of Religions and Biblical Hebrew and thoroughly enjoyed both...in fact, much, much more than my French modules :frown:

So, I have gone through many stages deciding what to do next year. I was hoping to transfer to the Combined Arts programme which would allow me to study French and theology modules in equal proportions. However, the Deputy Dean who I contacted informed me that in no circumstances will anyone be allowed to transfer onto this course for the foreseeable future (the really annoying thing is that I have friends who are allowed to transfer OFF it :mad: ).

My next thought was to switch to Single Honours theology and I have been told that this is possible. The problem...all but one of the second year modules are Christianity based. I don't have a problem studying Christianity, I find all religions intriguing. It's just that I would prefer what is called Religious Studies or Study of Religions - focussing on many different religious traditions. So, theology seems out of the question.

Then I went to talk to the Modern Languages Module Administrator with whom I had a lengthy chat (not necessarily relevant to my module choices :s-smilie: ) who confirmed my fears. I will be required to take four modules of French again next year meaning at least two literature modules which are the major downside for me (I technically could take a French politics module...but personally, me and politics do not mix well :s-smilie: ). It's not that I completely HATE literature, in fact English lit was my favourite (and best) subject at A-level. The Francophone module appeals to me. I just think I'm going to struggle with two literature modules (I have this year).

In addition, I still haven't solved the issue about what to do for the two spare modules. The Admin lady suggested I take up a new language (Arabic kind of appeals) but this still does not solve my literature issue (although arguably as Arabic is a double language module it won't involve essay writing so may alleviate the lit workload...slightly). I could stick with a couple of theology modules...but this STILL does not solve my problem!! Plus in my final year, I would only be allowed to take one module outside Mod Langs and that would mean 5 modules of French and that's got to include some literature...

I've come to the conclusion that Study of Religions is my true passion. I "like" French but I wouldn't say I love it and I certainly don't enjoy studying it (I like language modules but clearly not lit). I can't see myself working with languages in the future nor living in a French speaking country. However, I would love to further my studies in the field of Religion, at least do an MA but my ultimate dream would be an academic of some kind (spend the rest of my life at uni!).

So, I have e-mailed SOAS who have my DREAM course - Study of Religions and Hebrew (modern as opposed to biblical) to ask to transfer. I haven't had a reply yet (only just e-mailed you see :p: ) but is there anyone here who has had experience of transferring from one uni to another who can offer advice? (it's a bonus if you have any info about SOAS). Sorry it has taken soooooo long to get to the point...I just thought it would be helpful to have some background info (I have probably gone a bit overboard, mind you :redface: ).

Many thanks xxxxxx
You cant be transferred without applying through UCAS I thought?

Anyway... you should CALL them (unis are notoriously slow to reply to emails), and plead your case.

You should have applied by UCAS this year, as that would have been sensible.
Is the course you want to do likely to be in clearing? It may not be too late to apply through UCAS then.
Reply 2
Yeah, I know I would almost definitely have to use UCAS to transfer...however, I did not apply to UCAS earlier because I wanted to give my course a chance first. It has only been since revision and exams that I have fully realised that the subject does not suit me (I already had some doubts but now they have been crystallised). I probably will give them a call - seeing as the course is in Extra, there may be a chance...
Winnipeg
Yeah, I know I would almost definitely have to use UCAS to transfer...however, I did not apply to UCAS earlier because I wanted to give my course a chance first. It has only been since revision and exams that I have fully realised that the subject does not suit me (I already had some doubts but now they have been crystallised). I probably will give them a call - seeing as the course is in Extra, there may be a chance...

Yes!
If it is in extra, create a UCAS account and apply now!
I believe it is still possible to apply to courses in extra (might be wrong though)
Make sure you try to sort this out as soon as possible, or you may miss your chance :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending