The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello there,

I studied Biomedical Chemistry at uni. There was another course very similar to mine called Pharmaceutical Chemistry. A decent pass (2:2 or higher) in either subject would have been enough to get a job in the pharmaceutical industry. The toughest jobs to get are with the bigger companies, Phizer, GSK, Astra Zenica etc... They pay the biggest salaries for graduates. (15-18K approx) Smaller companies tend to offer between 12-15K for a graduate.

If you have a degree you will have more responsibility and get a bigger salary. The same can be said for an MSc. A PHD will help you into a management or research position. (Some of the larger companies will help fund a PHD). In terms of job prospects I would suggest at the least getting a degree.

A lot of unis will offer a "sandwich course" where year 3 (out of 4) is spent working in the industry. You will get paid and get a shed load of experience which will be useful when applying for your first proper job when you finish your degree!

Good Luck!
Reply 2
run a mile
Hello there,

I studied Biomedical Chemistry at uni. There was another course very similar to mine called Pharmaceutical Chemistry. A decent pass (2:2 or higher) in either subject would have been enough to get a job in the pharmaceutical industry. The toughest jobs to get are with the bigger companies, Phizer, GSK, Astra Zenica etc... They pay the biggest salaries for graduates. (15-18K approx) Smaller companies tend to offer between 12-15K for a graduate.

If you have a degree you will have more responsibility and get a bigger salary. The same can be said for an MSc. A PHD will help you into a management or research position. (Some of the larger companies will help fund a PHD). In terms of job prospects I would suggest at the least getting a degree.

A lot of unis will offer a "sandwich course" where year 3 (out of 4) is spent working in the industry. You will get paid and get a shed load of experience which will be useful when applying for your first proper job when you finish your degree!

Good Luck!

i'm on my gap year at a pharmaceutical company (MSD - down the road from GSK!) and i'm on 12K. graduates are c. 24K. PhDs gets lots more :smile:
Reply 3
I'm thinking of doing pharmacology at Bristol or medicinal chemistry at UCL (or something similar) and then post graduate study. Then is it still very competitive? i am more interested in using and learning the science (ie research or industrial) than actually managerial/promotions etc..

But looking in newspapers and new scientist, the research posts are short term contracts (eg 2 years) but I'd rather have a stable career.

How can I get work exp at industry, for example in my gap year?
I would stick with a general degree in chemistry - just in case things don't work out. The Pharma sector is big, but it's not growing (in the UK) and is in danger of being lost to america.
Reply 5
So what does have the best career prospects (in science; ie I dont want to go into finance or law etc.)

genetics, biochemistry?
Jack Schitt
So what does have the best career prospects (in science; ie I dont want to go into finance or law etc.)

genetics, biochemistry?

Physics, if you believe the surveys.
Reply 7
yes the pharmac industry is one of the biggest in uk, and grads can earn £25k+, usually with year in industry experience. physics grads usually end up in finance, its not good if you wanna stay in science.
Jack Schitt
How easy is it to work in the sector? and what are job prospects and salaries like? what would be the best degree to get for it

Hey Jack! :smile: My friend's doing a set degree in pharmacy, however she's at a completely different educational institution than I am, so I'm not sure exactly what she studies. However, I noticed that biology wasn't mentioned in this thread, and tbh I also think a bit of biomedical science would help in securing you a job in your chosen field.

Anyway, hope we're all helped, even if a little bit,

Danni x
danni_bella83
Hey Jack! :smile: My friend's doing a set degree in pharmacy, however she's at a completely different educational institution than I am, so I'm not sure exactly what she studies. However, I noticed that biology wasn't mentioned in this thread, and tbh I also think a bit of biomedical science would help in securing you a job in your chosen field.

Anyway, hope we're all helped, even if a little bit,

Danni x

If you want to make it in the pharmaceuticals industry as a scientist then a PhD In synthetic chemistry (bioorganic) is a must. This is the core of the research for the pharma industry and generally the way to progress up the ladder (other scientific discplines such as pharmacology or biochem are ancilliary).
Reply 10
Out of curosity how much do pharmacist earn in the Pharmaceutical Industry?
I think the average is 60k ... but then you've got to take into consideration a very small proportion of pharmacists work in the industry. If you just wanna work in the pharmaceutical industry a straight science degree would be the best to go about it I think.
Reply 12
Jack Schitt
How easy is it to work in the sector? and what are job prospects and salaries like? what would be the best degree to get for it

Very easy - try to get on a sandwich/intern year during your degree.

I organised my own intern year taking a year out of my first degree and worked for what was then GlaxoWellcome for 13 months. I got job offers for GW, Zenica and SKB upon graduation (mainly from networking at meetings and conferesences I attended while at GW).

As to what degree - it depends on what you want to do!
Reply 13
ChemistBoy
If you want to make it in the pharmaceuticals industry as a scientist then a PhD In synthetic chemistry (bioorganic) is a must. This is the core of the research for the pharma industry and generally the way to progress up the ladder (other scientific discplines such as pharmacology or biochem are ancilliary).

Total crap! It might help if you're interested in formulation/physical properties, else it's useless! Chemistry is important for initial formulation work following in silico molecular modelling, and again comes into effect post-safety testing (pre-clinical safety and clincial trials). There's a whole abyss in between where a PhD in chem will not afford you any benefit, and a degree/masters/PhD/D.Phil in immunology/molecular biology/biochem/genetics/toxicology/hepatocytology/pharmacy etc will get you far!!!
Reply 14
I agree with Fluffy.
Fluffy
Total crap! It might help if you're interested in formulation/physical properties, else it's useless! Chemistry is important for initial formulation work following in silico molecular modelling, and again comes into effect post-safety testing (pre-clinical safety and clincial trials). There's a whole abyss in between where a PhD in chem will not afford you any benefit, and a degree/masters/PhD/D.Phil in immunology/molecular biology/biochem/genetics/toxicology/hepatocytology/pharmacy etc will get you far!!!

Have you worked in the Pharmaceutical industry? It is a chemical industry, the synthesis of new drugs is at the heart of this industry. I didn't say you couldn't get a career in pharma if you had a red school biological degree, however chemistry is a very major part in almost all steps of pharmaceuticals production. From lead development, through to optimisation, pilot and production - chemists are involved in bringing drugs through the system. Certainly when I worked for Novartis most of the top scientific managers were chemists.

Unfortunately you have obviously been presented with a somewhat biased picture of what drug development is about - the 'initial formulation' step is not so facile and irrelevant as you make out and there is a lot post-trial work that needs to be carried out before the drug can enter the market.
Reply 16
ChemistBoy
Have you worked in the Pharmaceutical industry? It is a chemical industry, the synthesis of new drugs is at the heart of this industry. I didn't say you couldn't get a career in pharma if you had a red school biological degree, however chemistry is a very major part in almost all steps of pharmaceuticals production. From lead development, through to optimisation, pilot and production - chemists are involved in bringing drugs through the system. Certainly when I worked for Novartis most of the top scientific managers were chemists.

Unfortunately you have obviously been presented with a somewhat biased picture of what drug development is about - the 'initial formulation' step is not so facile and irrelevant as you make out and there is a lot post-trial work that needs to be carried out before the drug can enter the market.

Yes. I have worked in the pharmacetical industry - I worked for GlaxoWellcome in Genetic Toxicology (Pre-clinical Safety Sciences). Most of my first degree was also funded by them! Have you??? Really???

You last sentance says it all - post trial! No trial, no work for the chemist in physical properties/forumlation...

Shiny, how come you removed that link? It proved my point!!!
Reply 17
I thought I was overstepping my expertise in this argument :redface:
Fluffy
Most of my first degree was also funded by them!

Ditto, also Organon and AstraZeneca

Have you??? Really???

Yes.

You last sentance says it all - post trial! No trial, no work for the chemist in physical properties/forumlation...

Shiny, how come you removed that link? It proved my point!!!

So we ignore all the synthetic work chemists do in order to develop drugs? We can ignore the vast numbers of chemists employed in the pharmaceutical sector? Synthetic chemistry is at the heart of drug development - have you no idea of the amount of work that goes into getting the sample that you test in toxicology? The amount of people that are involved in lead development and optimisation before the drug can even begin to be tested?

Without anything to trial there would be no pharmaceutical industry. I agree that there are plenty of jobs out there for biologically and medically trained individuals in drugs testing, however it has been my experience that most of the top managers tend to be chemists (maybe because there are more of them).

Personally I am quite amazed that someone who has had such experience of the pharmaceutical industry could downplay the critical role chemistry plays in the industry to such an extent.
Reply 19
i work in the molecular biology department - biologists are important in teh medicinal chemistry exploratory programmes too, especially for screening :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending