The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who finds rewriting notes a rubbish revision method for GCSE?

Everyone tells me to write out notes for revision, read the textbook and then write everything out. First of all this takes flipping hours, hours in which I could have read through the whole course. Second it never works really, okay I guess for history it works because history is fact-based and sometimes I miss out bits when just reading through my notes/textbook. But for science, the understanding is the crucial bit, if you don't understand why something happens then however many notes you write out you won't understand it.
I always feel my revision isn't substantial because everyone says I should be making notes and highlighting and flashcards and covering my bedroom wall with stickies! I prefer to just read through the textbook or revision guide, then read through my notes and copy up any stuff into the textbook/guide that isn't in my notes.

But I can understand at A and AS level doing notes may be more beneficial, what do yall think?
If it works for you, do it. Revision tips are for morons like me who can't revise of their own accord and need someone to give them work on a plate.
Reply 2
Depends how you learn.

I personally preferred (mwahaha I love using past tense for revision) to rewrite notes so I'd have a neater and more condensed version of information to work from. Cut the crap as it were. And then I'd just always work from this condensed set of notes that I knew had all the info I needed on.

But everyone is different just try different methods to figure out what works best for you. You have years to perfect your technique :p:
Vixxen
Everyone tells me to write out notes for revision, read the textbook and then write everything out. First of all this takes flipping hours, hours in which I could have read through the whole course. Second it never works really, okay I guess for history it works because history is fact-based and sometimes I miss out bits when just reading through my notes/textbook. But for science, the understanding is the crucial bit, if you don't understand why something happens then however many notes you write out you won't understand it.
I always feel my revision isn't substantial because everyone says I should be making notes and highlighting and flashcards and covering my bedroom wall with stickies! I prefer to just read through the textbook or revision guide, then read through my notes and copy up any stuff into the textbook/guide that isn't in my notes.

But I can understand at A and AS level doing notes may be more beneficial, what do yall think?

I couldn't agree more. Just reading notes isn't a particularly good revision method but at least its about five times faster than re-writing it. When you re-write it you sometimes lose track of the big picture and just focus on the sentence or words you are writing. I find more dynamic revision to be better. Find humourful ways of remembering things, use flashcards, do revision games or even revise with a friend.
Reply 4
Reading through text books will probably get you nowhere.
Hmm, for certain things it helps I guess, writing it out in full once, then slowly writing it in shorter versions.
What do you suggest the best revision is for history? I usually do the above but dont find it all that great...Especially for trying to remember essay question answers. And because there is so much to learn, it becomes too much & time consuming.
Reply 6
Flashcards also notes are ment to be memory joggers as well..so brief..
:biggrin:
Reply 7
Yeah, I always rewrite my notes but I don't think it's very efficient. It just goes from the revision guide into my notebook without really passing through my mind.
To be honest it's just as effective to go through the revision guide with a highlighter, and then just keep rereading it, covering stuff up and seeing if I remember it.
I made notes...and then threw them away...I only use notes for History, otherwise I just highlight it and remember it somehow!
I don't find notes helpful. I just think reading a book over and over is the best method of revision.
Reply 10
I like to read things over and focus on what I have just read for a while. For example, split the subject down into smaller segments, highlight the notes for the part you are revising, and then just sit and think about it all in your head. Go over it again and again in your mind until it sticks. If that fails, I usually try and write notes but without using a revision guide, i.e. from memory. Once you have the facts you just have to have fun doing lots of past papers.
generalebriety
If it works for you, do it. Revision tips are for morons like me who can't revise of their own accord and need someone to give them work on a plate.

GO AND REVISE! :wink:
Speedbird2008
GO AND REVISE! :wink:

Shurrup. :frown:
Reply 13
Lol personally I find this quite an effective method as it helps me concentrate on topic. I usually underline all of the key points afterwards though to help me have a clearer understanding.
I always make revision notes to read through later, but it's whatever works for you really. Everyone is different.
Reply 15
I like discussing stuff with friends but when it comes to maths, practicing questions is the only way.

Latest