The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
wizard710
It means that it won't be marked by the computer and so will be by hand so you could argue that it is better.

They're not marked by a computer, they're scanned, and marked from a screen, but by an examiner.

But yeah, I'm sure blue ink is fine... they said black, but i'm sure they won't struggle with blue. Many people will have done the same. :smile:
AQA's scanner can't be very good quality if they can only see black.
Reply 42
adam_1234
AQA's scanner can't be very good quality if they can only see black.

It's a precautionary measure, rather then being able to see 'only' black. Of course it can see blue, but blue just has less contrast compared to black on white.
Reply 43
chongy5
It's a precautionary measure, rather then being able to see 'only' black. Of course it can see blue, but blue just has less contrast compared to black on white.

Yeah... if they say blue or black, then some people will use bright blues or pale blue gel pens etc... black is black, and will scan every time.
Reply 44
the bits they have in bold in the instruction column are the ones to really watch out for, i.e: you won't get penalised if you did not follow those not in bold.
The examiners are not going to prejudge you if you use blue, or EVEN red..>:biggrin: (actually, may be they will if the subject is subjective but ha, no worries though! I used purple biros ones before and still got the grades I wanted.XD).
I have just done a GCSE in music with Edexcel and it also said Black ink only, however I used blue (as my black ran out!). I wasn't the only one using blue and we didn't have any warning.

It was the same for RS (OCR), but we were told blue was fine then too.

Don't worry.
Reply 46
drummer_tom
I have just done a GCSE in music with Edexcel and it also said Black ink only, however I used blue (as my black ran out!). I wasn't the only one using blue and we didn't have any warning.

It was the same for RS (OCR), but we were told blue was fine then too.

Don't worry.

I did that music one :smile:. Not bad eh. And, OUR answers wern't on the back :tongue:
chongy5

Ahh, I thought they were using a stone age one or something.
Yes, AQA German today it said "black ink or black ball point pen" so they are switching to black. But this year is the changeover year and so it won't matter in the least.

Even next year I would be very surprised if they even slightly cared. Blue comes up black when scanned anyway!
OCR German said Black or blue ink or ball point pen. And loads of people at my school used blue ink in the AQA Biology exam on Wednesday cos my school said they could use both. They are still reading from last years list of regulations for some strange reason.
Reply 50
I use black anyways just to be on the safe side :smile:

Latest