The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

T-o dore
if youre not predicted all As and A*s for gcse youre not working hard enough - thats contraversial

What if you just don't understand a subject? Or if you do tech and art, which are mainly coursework?
ummm well i was only predicted A* for maths and RS :frown:
buti hope to get more in the actual exams :biggrin:
Reply 82
T-o dore
if youre not predicted all As and A*s for gcse youre not working hard enough - thats contraversial

how can I not work to the best of my ability?

See page four of this thread
i mean, for gcse most are graded on exams, and most exams can be aced if you swallow a textbook. swallowwing textbooks take effort. therefore, make effort, achieve gd grades
maybe we cant be assed, yer :tongue:

personally with me, i am potentially an A* student, but to be honest, i am more than happy with C's.

probably gonna regret this later in life but hey ho.
Reply 85
T-o dore
i mean, for gcse most are graded on exams, and most exams can be aced if you swallow a textbook. swallowwing textbooks take effort. therefore, make effort, achieve gd grades

Did you read my previous post? Seems like you didn't.
you could start smoking weed and bunking lessons. That answers your strange question of not doing yourself justice. weirdo lol
i was makin an extreme statement for the hell of it. I know some people cant get those grades becasue of poor teaching or they dont understand some things or other complications. Obviously you wont be able to if you cant - or if you believe you cant.
i wasnt predicted gd marks but im sure if i had no life and worked 24/7 i wud hav done. thats partly my point
Reply 89
I think this turning into the old "A*'s aren't all that great" kind of debate.

The facts are that getting "good grades"- achieving your potential- is based mainly on two things:
-Hard work
-"Talent"

If you have neither of these things, generally you won't achieve. But of course there are exceptions to this "rule"- there always are.

The definition of a "good grade" is something that has been fought over time and time again on this forum, and frankly I think we should accept the fact that everyone regards different grades as acceptable. It's just one of those things.
rachxl

The facts are that getting "good grades"- achieving your potential- is based mainly on two things:
-Hard work
-"Talent"

If you have neither of these things, generally you won't achieve. But of course there are exceptions to this "rule"- there always are.

The definition of a "good grade" is something that has been fought over time and time again on this forum, and frankly I think we should accept the fact that everyone regards different grades as acceptable. It's just one of those things.

Well said :smile: I don't really understand why you wrote "talent" like that. It is a small part of it, especially at GCSE level where hard work is 95% of achieving a good grade but later on, "talent" will be very helpful.

A "good" grade, IMO, is what you are aiming for personally. Remember, in these exams, you are not competing against others, but rather against the exam paper, and trying to beat your expectations.
IM ONLY Predicted 3 As...
rest are Bs and Cs
Reply 92
I was predicted all A/A*... except art where it's a B/C prediction and to be honest I don't even think I did that well. Will a single blip like that have much effect on uni admissions? I will have 10 other GCSES which will probably be As and A*s.
Reply 93
rachxl

-Hard work
-"Talent"

Top post - you summerised what is required to get good GCSE grades.

One more thing you missed - aspiration. Without it, your GCSE's would be pretty much pointless.
Reply 94
it's nothing to do with "what the person is capable of"
sorry guys, it's do to with the school and society they live in.
if you go to a posh all same sex school, you'll get a hell of a letter better grades than if you went to a regular, or even slightly poor/bad school.
people here are lucky, and probably go to great schools and/or don't have big distractinos like millions of friends or a partner so they focus on results.
Tallon
it's nothing to do with "what the person is capable of"
sorry guys, it's do to with the school and society they live in.
if you go to a posh all same sex school, you'll get a hell of a letter better grades than if you went to a regular, or even slightly poor/bad school.
people here are lucky, and probably go to great schools and/or don't have big distractinos like millions of friends or a partner so they focus on results.

Umm, no. My friend is predicted mainly c's at a private school, and someone else I know is predicted all A's an A*s. It might be true most of the time, but not all the time :smile:
Reply 96
nuttygirl
Umm, no. My friend is predicted mainly c's at a private school, and someone else I know is predicted all A's an A*s. It might be true most of the time, but not all the time :smile:

private school and Cs? So that guy's family is well off and probably has a business or money for the future so that friend of yours probably isnt very motivated to get good grades.
Tallon
private school and Cs? So that guy's family is well off and probably has a business or money for the future so that friend of yours probably isnt very motivated to get good grades.

Not really, she wants to be in the navy. O well, it probably depends who you talk 2 about it.
Reply 98
nuttygirl
Not really, she wants to be in the navy. O well, it probably depends who you talk 2 about it.

probably don't need A*s to join the navy then really.
It just sickens me to hear people on here saying that it's okay for others to do bad aslong as they get what they're capable of, which implies that they are naturally smarter than others here. I mean for God sake my chemistry teacher and biology teacher is awful, all the maths department are bad, Englsih has been abd from year 7-10 and only recently fixed. it's just not good tbh.
Its true, my history teacher said in state schools (she has worked in both), much less is done to prepare students for the exam (technique wise) and generally the teaching is less personal and effective - so, the mediocre student in an excellent school has a better chance of doing well as he is pushed harder and the teachers are paid to take an interest in his learning. Of course there are exceptions - there are fantastic state schools, but i believe the financial incentive brings a higher level of teaching to a school.

Latest