The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yosy
why did they say that R is 50 degrees from Q???????????????????????????????????

that was completely dumbbbbbbbbbbb what did u guys get for that Q?? i used the cosine rule and yeah....

i used that information when resolving.

And for the very last question and if i remember correctly i got something like t = 0.85 or something like that
Reply 21
Lunty
i used that information when resolving.

And for the very last question and if i remember correctly i got something like t = 0.85 or something like that

yay, i got 0.86s. ..although we could both be wrong, i guess :rolleyes:
Reply 22
hey... i got t= 0.462 in the last question....
saleh

thats because you made the same mistake as me.

you took the tension pulling backwards into account but you weren't suppose to do that because once the force is removed, the other particle will decelerate at a faster rate because it is lighter and therefore there won't be any tension in the string.
Reply 24
yooo we talkin about something travelling at 18ms-1 i.e 68kmph or 40mph stopping in 0.8/0.4 seconds???? that must be some coefficient of friction u guys got loll.....

6ms-2 then 3 seconds later........... 18ms-1..............
Reply 25
What did people for the question that you had to find the resultant force then the coefficent of friction i think it might have been question 6 i think i got it right but at the time it didn't seem like i had done enough for 11 marks
hmmm it wasnt that hard but the exam pressure got me

i remember some acceleration as -1.285
and that rod question, length away from A was 0.87m i think it was
Reply 27
Original post by {&#1581
saleh

thats because you made the same mistake as me.

you took the tension pulling backwards into account but you weren't suppose to do that because once the force is removed, the other particle will decelerate at a faster rate because it is lighter and therefore there won't be any tension in the string.

I think I made that mistake too, but surely the lighter particle will decelerate at a slower rate because its normal contact force is lower, so Fmax for it will be lower.
Nufc
What did people for the question that you had to find the resultant force then the coefficent of friction i think it might have been question 6 i think i got it right but at the time it didn't seem like i had done enough for 11 marks

Hmm i didnt do that question with the cosine rule as what everybody is saying,
there was a similar question in Jan 2006 question 4 , transforming forces into vectors, i thin for the value of X i got 6.7N something?
Reply 29
uksangho2000
there was a similar question in Jan 2006 question 4 , transforming forces into vectors, i thin for the value of X i got 6.7N something?

I didn't mean that one i meant the one i think the particle was 2kg on the point of going up and had a force of 45N going to it
yeh thats what i thought at first but like six further mathematicians came and told me that. so i assume they are right.
Question 5 was the only question I could actually complete ... most of the others I couldn't even answer the first part! That was a waste of money for the resit v_v
Reply 32
uksangho2000

I know what question you're talking about there in the 06 paper, and I used vectors for yesterdays question too, although I think they were probably looking for the cosine/sine rule.
turgon
I think I made that mistake too, but surely the lighter particle will decelerate at a slower rate because its normal contact force is lower, so Fmax for it will be lower.

Isn't the deceleration in fact the same for both particles? a=F/m = (mu*m*g)/(m) = mu*g.

I think I got something like 0.85/6, but I'm not sure. I was also surprised by the 9 marks for using the sine rule...

What did you get for the other question, where you needed to calculate mu (not the last one)? I got something very small... between 0.1 and 0.2, so it's probably wrong :s-smilie:

Anyway, I hope it all went better than we think now!
Reply 34
^^^ something like 0.136????
yeh thats right
Reply 36
It's impressive how most of you remember the answers so well :confused:
I'm very, very disappointed in myself. Seriously. I don't know if nerves got to me or what, but I royally ****ed that exam up :frown: :frown: :frown:
I think I've done better on M2 :rolleyes: although that too was pretty diabolical. I'll be lucky if I get a B, and considering I'm the one who opted to do further maths...it's really not good :frown:
Gonna have to rely on Core to bring me up now (which I'm crap at)
I'm so not a happy bunny right now :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 38
Serendipity*
I'm very, very disappointed in myself. Seriously. I don't know if nerves got to me or what, but I royally ****ed that exam up :frown: :frown: :frown:
I think I've done better on M2 :rolleyes: although that too was pretty diabolical. I'll be lucky if I get a B, and considering I'm the one who opted to do further maths...it's really not good :frown:
Gonna have to rely on Core to bring me up now (which I'm crap at)
I'm so not a happy bunny right now :frown: :frown: :frown:

Same =\
Still in shock :frown:
Oh and anybody who did M2 out there? What did anybody get for the downwards projectile question (that caught me out a bit lol, and I had to go back and change all my accelerations to positive), the one with the target?
What distance did you all get for how much the particle missed T by?

Latest