The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Bombers American Football Team

Particulars: George "Dexter" Bedford, Team Secretary.

Just thought I'd knock-up a thread to see if there was anybody interested in playing for the university american football team. Whether you've played before, or are simply interested in the game, you should check us out. It's a great social experience in addition to being a hellafun game to be involved in.

For more info on the team:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2224320535
or
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/socs/bombers/

or y'all could just PM me, whatever!
Dex.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2 of my flatmates (used to be 3) play for the bombers and they love it. Like Osiris said - a good social experience.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Unfortunately, yes the games clash on a weekend (well, every other weekend as I believe the OTC operates)
However, this shouldn't discourage you from coming along and seeing if you want to get involved.
Before I came to uni I was thinking of the OTC, but once I got into football, I decided I'd rather stick to football and be committed to it than be on a 50/50 kinda slant. However, that's just me :smile:
I'm sure that you could do both, just so long as coach knows about your other commitments haha
Dex
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I run the team, single-handedly, ask me anything
Reply 4
JordanLUFC
I run the team, single-handedly, ask me anything

Jordan can't run the length of the pitch, never mind a team.
Reply 5
Training is fitness and technique based, though feel free to do any extra weights etc on the side (you have to be a member of the campus gym to join the team, so you might as well put it to use!)
To begin with, we will have training on sundays, but then once the season starts there will be a game every week.
Dex
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
I voted for bruce

and I don't need to run anywhere
Reply 7
JordanLUFC
I voted for bruce

and I don't need to run anywhere

Well you voted with the minority.
Rather like the labour supporters last night.
Reply 8
you won by 1 vote

and stop changing your crap name
Reply 9
JordanLUFC
you won by 1 vote

and stop changing your crap name

1) I still won
2) Bush won with a minority of the popular vote.
3) You say my name is crap, but yours incorporates Leeds into it.
Epic Fail.
If any of you guys join, and you'll meet bruce and dexter, and you'll realise people made the wrong decision
Reply 11
JordanLUFC
If any of you guys join, and you'll meet bruce and dexter, and you'll realise people made the wrong decision

I'm too drunk to come up with a clever comeback.
Also, that made laugh, thankyou Jordan, thankyou.
Reply 12
sounds good, i think i will join
dont have a clue how to play but i used to play rugby union which has the same shaped ball lol
guess i will have to start doing some cardio then if i join, just doing weights at the moment
jmelech
sounds good, i think i will join
dont have a clue how to play but i used to play rugby union which has the same shaped ball lol
guess i will have to start doing some cardio then if i join, just doing weights at the moment

neither do most who join, but we've got a lot of good coaches who will show you all you need to know.

And you're playing American Football, why would you need cardio?! :smile:
Reply 14
haha thats easy enough then
Reply 15
cannot wait to join up!
it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to doing at uni!

I've tried to teach my ignorant rugby friends about the wonders of NFL and american football, but they just don't get it!

Not sure what position I will play though, will they tell us when we get there?
How many people do it?
Do you all take it really seriously?
zunemax
cannot wait to join up!
it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to doing at uni!

I've tried to teach my ignorant rugby friends about the wonders of NFL and american football, but they just don't get it!

Not sure what position I will play though, will they tell us when we get there?
How many people do it?
Do you all take it really seriously?

Well, it will all depends on your size/speed/ability on where you play, but when you get here it'll be easier to decide which position you'd be best suited to.

How many people? Well at the start of the year there's quite a lot, but as guys lose interest, it tails off, and usually there's around 25 guys at a game/training.

We don't take it really seriously, but we all want to win so when it's time to play it's time to get serious, but when we're not playing a game it's great fun to be in, and we all have a good laugh.
Reply 17
sounds class!
Yeah, I'm 6' 5" and reasonably strong, gonna start going to the gym a lot more at uni, never really knew what position I would play. guess I will find out!
Reply 18
zunemax
sounds class!
Yeah, I'm 6' 5" and reasonably strong, gonna start going to the gym a lot more at uni, never really knew what position I would play. guess I will find out!

sounds good.
if you can run and/or catch you're likely to be a running back, tight end or linebacker from the sound of you.
if not, you'll fit in somewhere, as long as you can hit people!
Reply 19
got my grades, looking forward to playing american football more than studying to be honest!

what kind of footwear do you use? rugby/football boots? or actual cleats?
and would you recommend getting any other kit?
birthday soon...
:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending