The Student Room Group

Can't I just fail it...?

Basically, I've been predicted all A's in my AS Levels (Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and French) and I know for certain that Chemistry is one that I am going to fail.
Miserably. :frown:
I can't take the pressure of living up to a grade which I think for me is unachievable in this subject...and I was wondering, since I want to do English at Uni does it matter so much if I fail my Chemistry AS?
I'm dropping it next year.
it is the standard to have 4 AS at 3 A2 and unis might wander what happened, depends how prestitigous your looking iwth the unis but if the grade is guaranteed to be so shamefully low you wouldn't put it on your application than why not focus ont heothers and leave it out...
Reply 2
i want to take english at uni and i feel the same as you. i take eng lit, french, history and maths and i HATE maths. if i get an A in it it will be down to some sort of miracle... ¬.¬ i really regret taking it, i should have done another language.
which universities were you thinking of?
My friend got an E in Spanish AS but has still managed to get into Edinborough (can't spell that). I guess it just depends of uni's individually. To pass it would defininitely advantage you. :smile:
I wouldn't purposely think "Well I've got no hope, I'm not even going to bother going near college when the exam is on" but I'd pay more attention to your other subjects and just do your best in them. Unis know that the subject you drop at AS is going to be the one you're the weakest at/didn't enjoy the most so I wouldn't fret too much about it. And surely if you're predicted an A, it can't be that bad, right?

I ended up thinking that my history AS would be the worst (even though I got three marks off a B in the end) but things like my lit surprised me and I got a D so when it actually comes to the exams it's pretty weird how some things turn out.
Prioritise. Pay more attention to your other subjects but dont neglect Chem. At least you will able to say you have 4 AS.
Thanks guys, that helps :smile:
Okay...I'll TRY and do my best at chem.... I said TRY.
Oh god I hate it so much.
What posessed me?
*drags self kicking and screaming off computer to go live in a mountain of Chemistry notes*
Reply 7
do your best. if you get less that what you think looks good then decline the grade.
Reply 8
Yep, what they all said. So you might not get an A. So what? You have to suck BIG style to properly fail an entire qualification, and your teachers wouldn't have given you such a high predicted grade if you were really that bad. Just try your best - that's all you can do.
Reply 9
Your teachers are not idiots. They have experience of teaching and know how good students are at least approximately. I am not saying you have no idea what you are talking about but they have a perspective on matters that you can never have. So you may be right and get "only" a b or even a c. But a fail is unlikely.

Mybe try talking to your chemistry teacher(s). Ask "Why is it you think I am so good to give me an a prediction?" That might give you some more confidence.

To answer your question directly, more qualifications has to help. And I think with a competitive course like English there would be a marginal return from a good 4th AS level. So go for it!!
Reply 10
Just email the university admissions I have done a similair thing to you will have 3 AS and 3 A levels and everyone said it did not matter just aslong as you get the grades but it will change from subject to subject. :smile:

Latest