The Student Room Group

Wednesday 21st May - EDXCEL ENGLISH LIT!!!

I think the other one got closed and its past midnight now, so how did it go?

I had

Streetcar - I did the question on Mitch, which I thought I did quite well! :smile:

Edexcel Poetry - I did 'I Am' and 'The Second Coming' for the insecurity and loss one, which I think I aced, my two favourite poems :biggrin:

Hard Times - I did the first one, just talk about education and everything that ever linked to Gradgrind :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't just be me can it? The other one had twelve pages with some Edexcel kids!
Reply 2
i did frank - nature vs nurture
anth - ambitious/humanity
trans - oh god i can't remember... what DID i do... nope no idea.
Reply 3
i did of mice and men...
wrote about curley's wife and crookes

also did poems on Hitcher, Kid, Labratory and On My First Sonne

Went really well me thinks... quite a nice paper :biggrin:
Reply 4
Streetcar - Mitch question (quite a nice one, I thought)
Keats - The one about Keats finding joy in the world around him rather than sadness and loss (slightly vague...I disagred with the statement, to a certain extent)
Hard Times - Something about pairs of contrasting characters (relatively straightforward)

The questions were basically all right. The exam could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse, too. I'm just glad it's over!
Reply 5
Franman

I had

Streetcar - I did the question on Mitch, which I thought I did quite well! :smile:

Edexcel Poetry - I did 'I Am' and 'The Second Coming' for the insecurity and loss one, which I think I aced, my two favourite poems :biggrin:

Hard Times - I did the first one, just talk about education and everything that ever linked to Gradgrind :biggrin:

I did 'All the things you are not yet' to go with 'The second coming
And the same streetcar question!
Reply 6
snd: the strength and weaknesses questions

frank: women...

betjeman: his limited experience....
I was only re-sitting Frankenstein - for the second time =( - but did the question on passive women. Pretty good question; shame I couldn't remember any "blinkin" quotes...
Reply 8
questions on women bore the hell out of me. thankfully the other frank question was okay!
Not the most interesting subject I agree - I have been pining for a Paradise Lost question since last summer - but fantastic contextual links. And a much easier subject to bluff through than nature vs. nurture.
Reply 10
Franman

Oh me too (this was a resit btw, to boost my mark).

And for 'Translations' I did the one about uncertainty and a sense of threat.

Edit: I just remembered, I did 'Dover Beach' and 'The Second Coming', not 'I Am'.
Reply 11
playingcards
Not the most interesting subject I agree - I have been pining for a Paradise Lost question since last summer - but fantastic contextual links. And a much easier subject to bluff through than nature vs. nurture.

no way! how is that so!

i was glad there wasn't a paradise lost question... i'm pretty up to speed with it but it would have been like the prometheus question a few years back, i got a b+ on that, euff...
Reply 12
Jhawkins
Oh me too (this was a resit btw, to boost my mark).

And for 'Translations' I did the one about uncertainty and a sense of threat.

ahh that's the one i did. i'm not sure how i did, i think what i said was good but i'm not sure i got enough ao2 in to balance out my a04 and 3.
Franman

I had

I almost did the same as you haha same streetcar and hard times question, for the hard times i had the same idea about education which involved Louisa, Bitzer and Tom and contrasted them with Jane and Sissy, i don't know if it is right though :smile:

for the poetry i did 'Dover Beach' and 'the way through the woods' don't ask how i linked them haha :smile:
Reply 14
xx-Samantha-xx
I almost did the same as you haha same streetcar and hard times question, for the hard times i had the same idea about education which involved Louisa, Bitzer and Tom and contrasted them with Jane and Sissy, i don't know if it is right though :smile:

for the poetry i did 'Dover Beach' and 'the way through the woods' don't ask how i linked them haha :smile:

Yeh for Hard Times I did go into ideas about Lousia, Bitzer and Tom, contrasted with Sissy! Might be being silly here..but errr, whos Jane? Do you mean Rachael? :biggrin:
Reply 15
Anyone do Emma?
Great question!!:smile:
Reply 16
Streetcar: I did the Mitch question as well! I read through them both and I was like "I'm never going to answer the question on Mitch" so I started looking at the second one. Then I went back and realised it would actually be an awesome question to answer. I really hope I did well... I managed to stick in some Tennessee Williams quotes and reference to 'Lament for the Moths' which hopefully had me covered for A02.

Poetry anthology: I did the one on insecurity and loss, but I kinda misread the question and though that if you chose both the poems (Dover Beach and The Second Coming) you didn't have to choose another, so I wrote about those two. Then I went back and realised you had to cover two sections so I quickly rambled on about God's Grandeur. :frown:

Frankenstein: I did the question about passive women. I had gotten really fed up by that point and kind of made up some stuff. Think I covered context quite well but only put in about two quotes. :frown:
Streetcar - Did the mitch questions, although everyone that i talked to afterwards said they avoided it. This was probably the worst section for me out of all of them.

Poetry Anthology - Chose the questions on what it is to be human, choosing 'Love song of J.Alfred Prufrock' and 'Dover Beach'. Good questions and it enabled me to go in depth into the thems of the poems.

Return of the native - I did the question on actions having no judgement cast on them, with life being a game of chance. Went slightly off track on this one, but brought it back at the end.
Reply 18
Am I the only one who didn't do the Mitch question? I did the one on weaknesses of characters, although now I realise I should have probably done the Mitch question since I only covered Blanche, Stella and Stanley.
For poetry I did the question on what it is like to be human. I did London and Prayer Before Birth.
For Emma i did the Mr Knightley question.

The exam didnt go too well, I wish I'd prepared more.
Reply 19
The only reason I didn't do the other one for Streetcar, was because theres so much to write, I knew I wouldn't get enough in, or at least not a big enough range of ideas! Would probably get stuck on one character for 45 minutes then have ten minutes for anything else!

Latest