The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Especially for instrument sounds revision!! Please!x
Reply 2
does anyone know how to remember key signatures!!!
No sharps or flats is C major
One flat is F major
For more than one flat, the (major) key is the next-to-last (second from right) flat.
For any number of sharps, take the last sharp displayed in the key signature and go up one semitone to get the (major) key. For example, in the A major key signature, the last sharp is G sharp, so go up one semitone from G sharp to get A major.
Reply 4
thanks for that
No problem. You know any good revision sites?! Other than LTScotland?
I hate dictation! :s-smilie: :redface:

I can't tell the difference between all the terms like mass, madrigal, concerto, ripieno... ahhhh!
Any tips?
Reply 8
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
I hate dictation! :s-smilie: :redface:

I can't tell the difference between all the terms like mass, madrigal, concerto, ripieno... ahhhh!
Any tips?

You can identify a mass by listening out for latin words like gloria, sanctus, kyrie, agnus dei :smile:
A madrigal is non-religeous and polyphonic.
A concerto is music for a solo instrument and an orchestra.
Ripieno - have that one ready if Concerto grosso comes up, Ripieno is the main group of instruments playing whereas concertino is the small or solo group :smile:

I've got it tomorrow too :redface: pretty worried :s-smilie:
Yanneh
You can identify a mass by listening out for latin words like gloria, sanctus, kyrie, agnus dei :smile:
A madrigal is non-religeous and polyphonic.
A concerto is music for a solo instrument and an orchestra.
Ripieno - have that one ready if Concerto grosso comes up, Ripieno is the main group of instruments playing whereas concertino is the small or solo group :smile:

I've got it tomorrow too :redface: pretty worried :s-smilie:

Hey thanks! :biggrin:

Lol, I may have to do eenie-meenie-miney-mo on some of them, but it's worked for me the last two years :p:
Reply 10
Haha! We used to get box questions for homework along with a CD. We have a few CDs at home for music for general revision and I went 2 weeks using the wrong CD wondering what was going on but still getting 2/3 on some of 'em XD
Guesses work sometimes, as long as they're smart guesses :biggrin:
Reply 11
I use process of elimination- never fails!Usually you can discard concepts straight away. I am pretty confident about it actually.

The only part i hate is the stupid grid question, they are so evil!!!
Reply 12
Ha, I only knew about LTScotland too!

Not looking forward to music, I can never tell the difference between all the religious ones! I find it hard to pick out the languages they're singing in! :frown:

Although I think my practical went really well, so I'm hoping that if my listening is a complete disaster, I can pick myself up with my practical!!

Good luck everyone!
Yanneh
Haha! We used to get box questions for homework along with a CD. We have a few CDs at home for music for general revision and I went 2 weeks using the wrong CD wondering what was going on but still getting 2/3 on some of 'em XD
Guesses work sometimes, as long as they're smart guesses :biggrin:

We got handed a music "dictionary" a couple of days ago to go and learn... joy! :p:

I think it's really hard to learn when you dunno what the word sounds like in the firstplace!
Reply 14
wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
We got handed a music "dictionary" a couple of days ago to go and learn... joy! :p:

Oo we have one of those :biggrin:

Actually it is quite helpful if you just look at the things which you're having a bit of difficulty with.

I've learnt a few things :biggrin:
I'm gonna go and dig it out lol.

What instruments did you all do for you exams?
Reply 16
I did drums and voice :biggrin:
Reply 17
i done guitar and sound engenering
I did piano and voice :smile:
Reply 19
Wow...you guys do such a wide range of instruments!
The majority in our school stick with tuned percussion and keyboard - some do guitar.

Latest

Trending

Trending