The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I only got the first one as sprechgesang, the female was too melodic.
You could well be right there, music is by far my weakest subject
nah pretty sure the equvilant of it would be recitative if its not in german. well thats what our teacher said anyway!
There is a difference between recitative and sprechgesang, recatitive is usually in an opera and accompanied with long held notes and stuff
Reply 64
Meteorshower
There is a difference between recitative and sprechgesang, recatitive is usually in an opera and accompanied with long held notes and stuff

believe me if you heard a sprechgesang you can tell right away. it sounds eerie and nothing like a recicitive. did your teacher not show you an example of sprechgesang, it sounds very very odd and unique.
oberon06
believe me if you heard a sprechgesang you can tell right away. it sounds eerie and nothing like a recicitive. did your teacher not show you an example of sprechgesang, it sounds very very odd and unique.

I got taught it's in a lot of music, a lot of bob dylan especially...
Reply 66
Meteorshower
I got taught it's in a lot of music, a lot of bob dylan especially...

sprechgesang ????? :s-smilie::s-smilie:

sprechgesang is a 20th centuary german opera. it sounds like the people singing it are like ghosts or somethin. ill try find you an example
The first one (the man singing) was sprechgesang, the other was too melodic.
oberon06

sprechgesang is a 20th centuary german opera. it sounds like the people singing it are like ghosts or somethin. ill try find you an example

It does not have to sound like that, wiki it
Reply 69
a sprechgesang is likee mid way between speaking and singing and it was used in 20th century, i dont think the songs from wicked are spreshgesang lol
Wicked is 20th century...
It's not *just* the 20th century it can happen in aswell
Reply 72
yeah but a sprechgesang is really weird soundingg... i dont think that was it but heyy icould be wrong lol
Sprechgesang is spoken-sung. A technique used in vocal music where the singer is required to use the voice in an expressive manner half-way between singing and speaking.
It is often used in 20th century music but not solely to that period.
Reply 74
Meteorshower
It does not have to sound like that, wiki it

yeah i know but if it was a question in the paper they would use just a german opera most likely.
oberon06

Sprechgesang isnt a 20th century german opera! Maybe your getting confused with Singspiele, which is like a german comedy opera type thing. but wouldnt really say that sounds like "ghosts" etc. Sprechgesang is a technique used in vocal music.
oberon06
yeah i know but if it was a question in the paper they would use just a german opera most likely.

We'll see, i'm willing to be at least the first one was sprechgesang :p:
Reply 77
SomethingSomething
Sprechgesang isnt a 20th century german opera! Maybe your getting confused with Singspiele, which is like a german comedy opera type thing. but wouldnt really say that sounds like "ghosts" etc. Sprechgesang is a technique used in vocal music.

Nope my teacher showed us an example of a Sprechgesang and it sounded very weird. their voices like keep sliding up and down then talking a bit. stuff like that
That was just one example though...
Reply 79
BlueRoses
Wicked is 20th century...

yes but its not an opera. you wouldnt describe it as Sprechgesang because Sprechgesang is a operatic recicative. people like Wagner used it. there are some parts of "The Ring" which use it im sure. may be wrong though.

saying wicked has Sprechgesang in it is like saying that the bass riff at the start of "Money" by pink floyd is a ground bass.

(i gave this example cause it was in a past paper i done:P)

Latest

Trending

Trending