The Student Room Group
University of York
York

things to do in York.

So Im tacking a bunch of 6th form students and their parents to the uni in june and I need activities and places to take them after the tour. Ive never been to York myself so have no idea of fun/historical, even touristy places to visit.
Any ideas, thank you:smile:
(ps. not too far from the University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's not much near the Uni really. You'll have to venture into the city and then you can do the walls, the Jorvik centre, the Dungeons, everything really.
University of York
York
Reply 2
thanks laser!
any other ideas in the city centre?
**** all
Reply 4
If I remember rightly from my year 5 primary school education on Vikings, there's a museum dedicated to them in York. That could be fun.
My dad and my brother liked the railway museum when we visited for my interview.
Reply 6
FyreFight: That's the Jorvik Centre.

Oh yes, and there's the National Railway Museum. And the Shambles, the Minster, Bettys, the Yorkshire Wheel, the list goes on! Here's a handy link for you: http://www.york.gov.uk/visiting/Local_attractions/
I wouldn't take them to Bettys though unless you have a huge budget :wink:
Reply 8
York Dungeons lol.
Reply 9
Museum Gardens, near the rail station.

...ASDA, TESCO, Iceland :biggrin:
Reply 10
Aren't there loads of chocolate factories in York?
Reply 11
i've heard only of Nestle :confused:
Reply 12
There's the former-Rowntrees (now Nestle Rowntrees) factory in Rowntree, then the Terrys factory near the racecourse. Those are the only two surviving ones, but the new Morrisons has incorporated parts of the old factory that was there into the site.
Reply 13
Terrys closed 3 years ago, the factory's still there, just unused.

Nestlé Rowntrees at Yearsley is still there, still churning out bucket loads of stuff, but it's not really the place for a visit.

If you've got a day, do the Walls, the full tour of the Minster [all the way to the top and the crypt], Jorvik and the Dungeons. That will occupy the whole day, with relevant breaks for food/drinks, etc.

But, near the university? Nope.
Reply 14
amsking
Terrys closed 3 years ago, the factory's still there, just unused.

Nestlé Rowntrees at Yearsley is still there, still churning out bucket loads of stuff, but it's not really the place for a visit.

If you've got a day, do the Walls, the full tour of the Minster [all the way to the top and the crypt], Jorvik and the Dungeons. That will occupy the whole day, with relevant breaks for food/drinks, etc.

Well near the uni, they could be given day passes to next gen fitness lol.
Reply 15
amsking

Feed the goslings?
Go on a ghost walk!
Not chocolate factories as such, but there are plenty of chocolate/fudge shops :smile: The Fudge Kitchen is greatly recommended!
Reply 18
Minster, Minster Gardens, go to King's Manor to show that the University isn't all concrete, Jorvik centre apparently isn't that good, go up Clifford's Tower, fudge shop
fudge?? that's totally made me excited about york now!

Latest