The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Asheeers
wtf are you on about? you obviously copied it out of a letts book and claimed it as your own. That's plagarism and can get you into some serious trouble.....:biggrin:

where? :biggrin:

Unlike coursework, where you have to sign a document saying it is yours, I never at any point said it is mine. I think you have been doing too much coursework. :wink:
Reply 21
I use revision cards...for example when i have a language exam approaching i write words in the other language on one side, english on the other. Put them in your pocket then you can play "guess that word" at the bus stop :biggrin:
Reply 22
Passed my 1st year with a 1st above 90%, this is how i do it.

I can't concentrate in 'batches' so i do 10-13 hours with coffee, lunch, dinner breaks only. It works for me. :o:

Do::yep:

As many past papers as possible.

Summerize everything on medium sized record card booklets which are easily transportable (so you can revise on tube, train, car etc.).

Write, re-write again and again and again until it's in ur head. Then go back after revising something else to see if it's still in there.

Talk/think out loud (make sure ur in ur own private space otherwise people will think ur loopy!)

Don't::no:

Revise with friends...u'l get distracted by something or another.

Revise with loud music on (i have some classical playing but at a low volume, can be stimulating)

Go for break in the middle of a topic. Finish it first!

Snack on messy foods cos u'l keep needing to wipe ur hands...distracting.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 23
Can I add one?

Actually study in free periods. Requires willpower and immense self control but will be worth it.
k9ruby
Can I add one?

Actually study in free periods. Requires willpower and immense self control but will be worth it.

and turning off the internet
Reply 25
It was not exactly soothing to my pride to discover that my mother considered drowning to be a likely fate for me, but this is how things are in this household.

That is only for the experts to attempt:eek: :eek: :eek:
Lord Hysteria
and turning off the internet

:yep: Turning off the internet is a definite must.
ElectricOceans
:yep: Turning off the internet is definite must.

yeap and a banned by request on TSR
Lord Hysteria
yeap and a banned by request on TSR

I did it once and lasted about two days and then requested to come back on. :rolleyes: :o:
thanks for the guide, its really helpful!!
Reply 30
Hey thanks for sharing the method, it is really a big help having guide for revising, it is problem free.
Lol I need 100% in C3 and I'd like to think it's doable with over 7 months to revise for it. =P Better start then... probably going to get to the library today.

Anyone have any other tips for Maths revision apart from just sitting there doing past papers?
wanderlust.xx
Lol I need 100% in C3 and I'd like to think it's doable with over 7 months to revise for it. =P Better start then... probably going to get to the library today.

Anyone have any other tips for Maths revision apart from just sitting there doing past papers?

Schaum's Outlines...
Reply 33
btw, has anyone fully tried out the "revise the next day, next week, next month" way?
I tried it with vocab and it never works too well!XD I only find learning it before I go to sleep works.XD
I guess it doesn't work for me too nicely, so I would say, try out all sorts of ways until you find the best one for you!^__^

and here are some of my tips:
---revise in chunks for a mini slot of about 30mins and do something you enjoy for 5-10mins and go back again-->review, and carry on onto the next one.

---get enough sleep the day before!

---don't try to cram study minutes before the exam, it will just confuse your brain(but then again, it depends on you as an individual). If you have studied well during the months/years, the facts and stuff you need to will layout nicely during the exam

---work BACKWARDS for "factual/not subjective" exams(e.g. maths) and pick out the easy marks first and then turn to the front and begin the exam.

---read the instructions on "how to do exams" on past papers before hand

---have passion in your subjects--->main key of success!
Remember that you haven't learned anything until you have memorised it!
Reply 35
thanks for the guide, I got another one here as well:smile:

http://uploading.com/files/6G0MJTW4/Student_Guide_to_Exam_Success.pdf.html
we got told never to do more than 45 minutes and no more that about 3 hours a day...you brain just can't take it
I Think Its Great You Giving Us This Help,,
But The Think Is,, I Can't Seem To Remember Any Of The Useful Points
Do You Think This Is Because I Am Revising Too Much?
Im Confused =S Pleasee Help x

Reply 38
this was really helpful! thanks alot! <3
Lord Hysteria
Now that I have put my section up, just thought it would be great to start an actual thread on studying habits. People who have seen great results please respond and let us know how you study and what was effective for you. So others can take some pointers.

I tend to find that re-writing the material i'm learning,especially if it's quite extensive enables me to remember it easily.Also unremitting repetition and the grouping of information will enable you to store the material. Have you ever heard of Ebbinghaus(1885)? Well there is a technique he,we could say founded which is the Savings method.You time yourself for a short while,attempting to learn the subject matter,until at least you can repeat the information to some degree of competency and if anything has been encoded and stored sufficiently the relearning time takes less. So you develop a savings score .TA ,represents the amount of time taken to originally learn the material and TB ,how long it took to re learn it.If there is an improvement you document it at,and thus continue to improve .It can be worked out as follows:
Savings score = TA - TB x 100.
TA

Latest

Trending

Trending