The Student Room Group
Reply 1
well i don't know really anything about that, but i would be some-what interested to hear about it myself.

although, a friend of mine is leaving school this year to go to college and do some highers, she's 16. and a friend of a friend of mine is doing the same. but my mum went to college a couple years back to do a course on cooking. but i don't think that's the same thing as highers :s:

sorry i couldn't be any more help
A friend of mine is doing this, shes going to do 2 highers but I'm not sure what its like I'm afraid
Reply 3
Okay the fees part i know. If you're scottish then no, you will not have to pay fees. You would have to pay for your schoolbooks though, or borrow them or out the library or what not.

Unless the scottish no fees things is only university. I really am no help am i.. :frown:
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure that only applies to universities (tuition fees). You will probabaly need to pay for each course you sit.

About taking 5 highers in college, I really don't know. It depends on the college to be honest. Some consider themselves a substitution for secondary school and offer the same qualifications while others only offer qualifications not available at high school.

It may be difficult to even find a college which offers the 5 highers you need, since I wouldn't say it's common for them to offer a super-wide curriculum in a similar vein to secondary schools.
I would have thought the applications dates for September have long passed. In my area at least they have, one of my friends got rejected cause she applied in April
Reply 6
i really suggest that you go into the college and ask them about it, obviously avoiding asking them what the quality is like, because no one says anything other than the best.
Reply 7
yeah deffinately. couple months ago i was interested in getting some night classes at college, and i tried to go in but it was shut cause it was a sunday (duh).
My aunt has marked Higher English for the SQA for about 20 years now. She told me she has never once been able to pass a candidate from a college (in essays or close reading). I don't know though, that's maybe just English.
iainaberdeen
My aunt has marked Higher English for the SQA for about 20 years now. She told me she has never once been able to pass a candidate from a college (in essays or close reading). I don't know though, that's maybe just English.

:eek: The teaching there can't be that bad
I found it hard to believe too but she says that because you only get to see your teacher 3 or 4 times a week, it's very hard to be able to pick up all the required information. I have to agree to be honest. I had each of my Higher subjects 6 times a week and I would have had no chance of passing any of them with half of that.
Highers at colleges in Scotland as far as i'm aware are just if you need the higher to for entrance requirements to something, i don't really see doing them there as an alternative to school...
Reply 12
Hello,

I went to a college in Glasgow this year and did two Highers but there were people in my class who were doing four, so I would think five was perfectly do-able. We were in a class with people who were doing an Access Humanities course, they study a lot of the same stuff but don't do the exams, just have to pass assessments. As they were the majority group in the class, a lot of lessons were geared towards them and I did find I had to do quite a lot of work on my own, at home.

It is true that you don't see your teachers half as much as you would at school - I had Modern Studies one afternoon a week, supposedly from 1pm - 5pm and usually the teacher let us away early. If you consider the amount of time school pupils spend in class a week, we don't get much contact time. Again, you just have to be willing to put in the work at home.

As for ages of people in the class..the youngest girl in our group was 17, the oldest man was well into his 40's - makes things quite interesting! People were joining our course right into September and beyond so I certainly don't think you have left it too late. The way it worked at our college was that if you were doing four or five highers, you could apply to get them paid for (and most people got a bursary as well) but if you were doing less than that, you had to self fund.

Hope some of this helps!
Reply 13
I want to study Scottish Highers but I would have to do it open learning... Does anyone know anything about this or where in Edinburgh I could do this? I know Stevensen College do it but I am still waiting to hear back from them. I really want to study and soon. Does anyone know what text books they use for the physics and human biology??
I could really use some help as I am absolutly lost...

Latest

Trending

Trending