The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
x_Lainey
My teacher says I'm too brief, my answers are short...but I can't help it, the fact that I'm brief has actually gained me an A in Geography in both the mocks!

Yeah, you can't be brief in Paper 1 (I don't think). For the 5 markers, you always have to explain two good causes/consequences. Each needs a good paragraph. So for example, on "Why was the Truman Doctrine declared (5)" I'd do:

One reason why the Truman Doctrine was declared was concern about Soviet expansion in Eastern Europe....(blab on for a paragraph)

However, the declaration of the Truman Doctrine was triggered by Britian's announcement that they could no longer afford to support the Royalist government in Greece... (repeat)

That's all you need for full marks - two well-developed reasons. It's smiliar for the 7 mark questions, expect you need 3 reasons/causes/consequences etc. Obviously on the key features qs it's a bit different, but you just need to write 2/3 good length paras, in chronological order if possible.

For the 15-mark scaffolding question, make sure you add in a few extra points to the scaffolding - otherwise it's extremely difficult to get full marks. You should write at least 1.5 sides for this (I usually write 2). For the 10 mark essays, make sure you include an introduction and conclusion. If it's a "choose 2 factors from the boxes", treat it as two 5 markers (that's how it's marked) and do the 2 paragraph structure.

Hope that was helpful - feel free to ask any more questions. I feel do lucky that I had a really good teacher who explained all this stuff - so many clever people in my year are flopping at GCSE history because they can't get the technique right.
anna_c_100
For the 15-mark scaffolding question, make sure you add in a few extra points to the scaffolding - otherwise it's extremely difficult to get full marks. You should write at least 1.5 sides for this (I usually write 2). For the 10 mark essays, make sure you include an introduction and conclusion. If it's a "choose 2 factors from the boxes", treat it as two 5 markers (that's how it's marked) and do the 2 paragraph structure.

that is really helpful thanks...

is that how the 10 markers are done - 2 x 5 marks for each box???
it is the longer questions i struggle with as i get halfway through and realised i have missed something out. do you plan the 10 and 15 mark answers?
Reply 22
anna_c_100
Yeah, you can't be brief in Paper 1 (I don't think). For the 5 markers, you always have to explain two good causes/consequences. Each needs a good paragraph. So for example, on "Why was the Truman Doctrine declared (5)" I'd do:

One reason why the Truman Doctrine was declared was concern about Soviet expansion in Eastern Europe....(blab on for a paragraph)

However, the declaration of the Truman Doctrine was triggered by Britian's announcement that they could no longer afford to support the Royalist government in Greece... (repeat)

That's all you need for full marks - two well-developed reasons. It's smiliar for the 7 mark questions, expect you need 3 reasons/causes/consequences etc. Obviously on the key features qs it's a bit different, but you just need to write 2/3 good length paras, in chronological order if possible.

Hope that was helpful - feel free to ask any more questions. I feel do lucky that I had a really good teacher who explained all this stuff - so many clever people in my year are flopping at GCSE history because they can't get the technique right.

Thanks! My handwriting also happens to be very small so sometimes I'm unsure on how much I should write considering I need to watch the time.
Do you guys plan your answers briefly before you start the questions? Or do you just think and write at the same time?

I'm thinking of maybe getting into the habit of planning my answer out first but it's quite risky..I'm scared I might run out of time =\
Reply 23
hughey
is that how the 10 markers are done - 2 x 5 marks for each box???

Sorry if I was unclear - a question like this:

"Choose two factors and explain how each contributed to the development of the Cold War.

Truman Doctrine, Marshall Plan, NATO"

is marked as two separate 5-mark qs - for example if I chose the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall plan, each is marked as a separate question out of 5. It's marked exactly the same as if the questions had been "how did the tru doc contribute...." (5) and "how did the m plan contribute...." (5) Clear now? :smile: (But not all 10 markers are like this - there can be essays as well).

And no, I don't plan my anwers - I'm always so rushed for time! It's important to have your ideas organised properly, though, if you want to reach level 3/4, so it's probably better to at least plan in your head what your paragraphs are going to be.

However,

Latest