The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The Sherminator
"N" = Noob

My teacher said it stood for near miss :rolleyes:
Reply 41
oh yeh oh yeh

Please can I ask does anyone have any "past paper mark scheme" definitions for the Bototm-up testing and top down testing. cos I can't find one anywhere which might mean they could ask us it.

some notes to help others (please can you tell me if this is wrong)
DEVELOPMENT TESTING
Black box testing: inputting test data and checking that the outcome is as expected
White box testing: testing every aspect of a routine rather than just the outcome
Unit testing: testing individual units or modules or code
Integration testing: testing several modules together to ensure that they work as a whole

System testing
alpha testing: carried out in-house using a range of test data
beta testing: giving an early version to selected external users who will use the system ‘in anger’ and report bugs
acceptance testing: giving the finished product to the client(s) and ensuring that it fully meets the specification
jamesair99
My teacher said it stood for near miss :rolleyes:

It did stand for that back in the day (pre-2000).

jamesair99
Please can I ask does anyone have any "past paper mark scheme" definitions for the Bototm-up testing and top down testing. cos I can't find one anywhere which might mean they could ask us it.

Not from mark schemes but I do have some notes on them:

Bottom-up testing
= the system is developed from the bottom up with the lowest level modules being tested first

Top-down testing
= modules are written as stubs so that interface calling can be tested, starting with the top module and working downwards as more and more modules are added
Reply 43
alex_hk90

Bottom-up testing
= the system is developed from the bottom up with the lowest level modules being tested first

Top-down testing
= modules are written as stubs so that interface calling can be tested, starting with the top module and working downwards as more and more modules are added

woah that's a great definition for top down (and bottom up!). My textbook waffles on for ages about them and I was thinkin: "yeh but they'd probably give us 2 lines to write on in the exam":smile: Thanks again for your expert advice.
Reply 44
Anyone know what 'volumetrics' is? It's in the specification for CPT5, but we've never been taught it.
Mel16
Anyone know what 'volumetrics' is? It's in the specification for CPT5, but we've never been taught it.

Never heard of it! I'm worried now... maybe it's just a way of describing something we've learned under a different name.
Mel16

The amount of data thats going to be processed in the system

I'm 99.9% certain its come up in a past paper at some point, so its probably worth checking the mark schemes for the exact definition
Absolutely sh*****g it about these now. Reckon I've messed up my other units so much I'll need to smack these two to get a B overall. Argh. I swear I've been getting progressively worse the more past papers I do, I've been going from 40-50 to just scraping 30.

Anyone got any predictions to what they think will come up? Hoping the assembly code will only be 5-6 marks instead of 7-9 as I always get these wrong. Hope theres substantial marks for handling numbers and logic programming, very easy to get marks on these. Also want a HTML but that came up in January so I dunno if it'll come up again. Arghhh.
Mel16

It's just referring to situations where you have to enter large amounts of data. For example, using OCR or OMR to input the data, and then the methods of validation and verification you can use (validation fields; batch, control and hash totals; double-entry).
Reply 49
stargirl001
Absolutely sh*****g it about these now. Reckon I've messed up my other units so much I'll need to smack these two to get a B overall. Argh. I swear I've been getting progressively worse the more past papers I do, I've been going from 40-50 to just scraping 30.

Anyone got any predictions to what they think will come up? Hoping the assembly code will only be 5-6 marks instead of 7-9 as I always get these wrong. Hope theres substantial marks for handling numbers and logic programming, very easy to get marks on these. Also want a HTML but that came up in January so I dunno if it'll come up again. Arghhh.

oo ooo "predictions". I'm not sure on this but has anyone seen any encryption qs come up lately?

any ideas anyone? we should make a list haha:tsr2:
I was thinking... there's always a question asking us to name the three database levels (schema)... do we actually have to know what they mean? I haven't seen a past paper which asks us to explain what they are, but I'm not sure that's completely out of the question?
Does anyone have any tips for doing the assembly language questions? Its getting to the point where I dont actually know where to begin, and I'd rather attempt it then just leave it out
stargirl001
Does anyone have any tips for doing the assembly language questions? Its getting to the point where I dont actually know where to begin, and I'd rather attempt it then just leave it out

Hate those questions...
Usually you start by loading something into the accumulator. Try to put a loop there somewhere (and a condition such as BEQ - branch if equal). Make up your own 'codes' if you can't remember the actual ones - as long as you say what you mean in the 'comments' section you should get the marks for it.
secretmessages
Make up your own 'codes' if you can't remember the actual ones - as long as you say what you mean in the 'comments' section you should get the marks for it.

In recent years they have been supplying the opcodes for you. :smile:

As for answering assembly language questions in general, it really depends on what they are asking you to do. Assembly is a programming language (like Delphi or VB) so you can't really use one approach to answer all the questions that could possibly come up.
Reply 54
Thanks to whomever uploaded the Jan 08 CPT4 documents, much appreciated!

Myself am praying that this year they leave out Assembly Code entirely, it's a big wish :P I cannot do those darn questions no matter how much i research it. Gah.
Wigsy
Thanks to whomever uploaded the Jan 08 CPT4 documents, much appreciated!

:O where? where? where?

Would be muchly useful!
Reply 56
Oh, think i got the wrong thread :P None the less it's CPT4, just gonna find the links now...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=12568068&highlight=assembly+code#post12568068

About mid way down the page, alex linked them! (Thanks Alex \o/ )
Thanks so much, this will be muchas useful!
Wigsy
About mid way down the page, alex linked them! (Thanks Alex \o/ )

You're welcome, and good luck for Thursday. :smile:
I have CPT4 Jan 02, CPT4 June 02 and CPT5 June 02 question papers and mark schemes if anyone's done all the other past papers and wants some more to do. Happy to upload if there's any interest.

Latest

Trending

Trending