Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can how you look affect if you get a legal job?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be facing a dilemma. I am nearly 20 years old and have been applying for training contracts and work experience with law firms. I am in my second year studying a Law degree. However, I look about 13-14 years old. Yesterday I was refused a lottery ticket as I did not have my ID on me as she said I look younger then 16. I fully understand that this was the correct thing for the member of staff to do. However, because I do not look my age and look younger then everyone else applying for legal jobs could this be detrimental? It got me thinking that law firms will perhaps not take me on because who would want to see a lawyer who looks younger then 20.

I wear make up on a daily basis but I prefer the natural look (foundation, neutral eye shadows, thin coat of mascara and a simple gloss.) Do you think that the way I look could affect my job prospects? My friend just told me to wear more dark make up on interview days (more eye liner and more mascara with bronzer etc) but I thought that that would be a bad idea as I would look horrendous.

I would greatly appreciate your comments.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's a possibility even though you'll never know or can prove it.

It's fairly common knowledge that good looking people tend to do better in life just because they are good looking. If you go to an interview and your interviewer finds you attractive it can certainly work in your favour as horrible as it sounds.

The worlds a cruel place.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I have a similar issue, also got rejected for lottery tickets! I don't think it is going to matter too much. Just make sure you are dressed like a lawyer etc. I think we get away with a bit less, so avoid anything that could be seen as immature. I tend to wear a grey dress, black jacket and small heels. Re make-up, play around and see what makes you look older. I find wearing my hair up help.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringlawyer13)
    So I have a similar issue, also got rejected for lottery tickets! I don't think it is going to matter too much. Just make sure you are dressed like a lawyer etc. I think we get away with a bit less, so avoid anything that could be seen as immature. I tend to wear a grey dress, black jacket and small heels. Re make-up, play around and see what makes you look older. I find wearing my hair up help.
    For me it is not an issue of not dressing like a lawyer or acting immature. I've had comments how mature I am and how I behave and act. How do you wear your hair? Everything I've tried just looks like a school girl
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it. How do you think the law firms you are applying to know what you look like?

Are you asking this question because you think, once you get to IV, they won't take you seriously because you look really young?

Please consider that to someone of the age of a partner, all candidates are going to look very young.

Get a sharp haircut and have good self-possession. If you get as far as an interview, they know you are 'old enough'.

In terms of your comment, who would want to see a lawyer that looks younger than 20 - honestly - it doesn't make any difference if you look 20, 22, 23, 24 etc - the thing that is going to convince is confidence, maturity, capability etc.

I think this issue is something you are worried about but I doubt recruiters will see it at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    I don't get it. How do you think the law firms you are applying to know what you look like?

Are you asking this question because you think, once you get to IV, they won't take you seriously because you look really young?

Please consider that to someone of the age of a partner, all candidates are going to look very young.

Get a sharp haircut and have good self-possession. If you get as far as an interview, they know you are 'old enough'.

In terms of your comment, who would want to see a lawyer that looks younger than 20 - honestly - it doesn't make any difference if you look 20, 22, 23, 24 etc - the thing that is going to convince is confidence, maturity, capability etc.

I think this issue is something you are worried about but I doubt recruiters will see it at all.
    I was asking the question in relation to interviews and how that looking young could potentially affect my future. However, I take your point that the recruiters may not see it. I'm just afraid that because I have such a baby face that I will not be taken as seriously compared to others despite the fact that I dress and act the part.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly. I know you won't believe me, but try looking at it from whoever it is who will be interviewing you's point of view.

They might even be over 30 or shock!! over 40. If so, believe me, you all look exceptionally young because you are all exceptionally young. Between 17 and 24 there isn't much difference. I would put £100 on the fact that you don't look any younger than any of the rest of them - whether you are 20 or 21 or 22 or 23 or look it is only really an issue to you.

It is this joint 'youngness' that 99% of the candidates will have in common. Really, forget this as an issue for you. Concentrate on being able to talk to people older than you are in a way that is confident, personal and inspires confidence.

They will be looking for your potential.

You might have guessed I am older than you are and spend a lot of time with people your sort of age (or possibly a bit older - it makes no difference to me The number one thing that distinguishes people who are very young (and green) and people who are very young (and with some interesting experience) is that the very young green ones are too frightened to speak out loud in a classroom or public speaking situation. So, for example, you could work on that to delineate you from the other candidates - the kind of things the people interviewing you WILL notice.

Or I can give you some of my years - how many do you want?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Honestly. I know you won't believe me, but try looking at it from whoever it is who will be interviewing you's point of view.

They might even be over 30 or shock!! over 40. If so, believe me, you all look exceptionally young because you are all exceptionally young. Between 17 and 24 there isn't much difference. I would put £100 on the fact that you don't look any younger than any of the rest of them - whether you are 20 or 21 or 22 or 23 or look it is only really an issue to you.

It is this joint 'youngness' that 99% of the candidates will have in common. Really, forget this as an issue for you. Concentrate on being able to talk to people older than you are in a way that is confident, personal and inspires confidence.

They will be looking for your potential.

You might have guessed I am older than you are and spend a lot of time with people your sort of age (or possibly a bit older - it makes no difference to me The number one thing that distinguishes people who are very young (and green) and people who are very young (and with some interesting experience) is that the very young green ones are too frightened to speak out loud in a classroom or public speaking situation. So, for example, you could work on that to delineate you from the other candidates - the kind of things the people interviewing you WILL notice.

Or I can give you some of my years - how many do you want?
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I now understand that it won't matter from the perspective of a recruiter. I think it is just my own personal issue and I blew it way out of proportion. Thanks again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colourful_Cobra)
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I now understand that it won't matter from the perspective of a recruiter. I think it is just my own personal issue and I blew it way out of proportion. Thanks again
    It's alright. Now I just need to apply it to myself - but in my case, I worry that the recruiters will think I am too old
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's alright. Now I just need to apply it to myself - but in my case, I worry that the recruiters will think I am too old
    I am sure that is certainly not the case. From what I gathered age carries wisdom that can definitely be applied at interviews
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let's just assume that this is the case for some interviewers: first, what can you do about it? Second, do you really want to work for someone who selects on this basis?

Just concentrate on dressing as maturely as you can without looking ridiculous, and then forget about your appearance and concentrate on acting confidently. If you look young, perhaps it will allow you to appear all the more precocious. Firms want to identify and hire the good candidates early, so it might even work in your favour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Baby, you're doing it wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colourful_Cobra)
    For me it is not an issue of not dressing like a lawyer or acting immature. I've had comments how mature I am and how I behave and act. How do you wear your hair? Everything I've tried just looks like a school girl

So, I had highlights which grew out and looked dip dyed, so I got rid of that, it made me look like a teenager. Normally, either a pony tail or a bun. Or half pined back. My hair is really curly naturally, so I straighten it, otherwise I really look young!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So, I had highlights which grew out and looked dip dyed, so I got rid of that, it made me look like a teenager. Normally, either a pony tail or a bun. Or half pined back. My hair is really curly naturally, so I straighten it, otherwise I really look young!

I don't have my hair highlighted. I do put my hair half pined back as a bun or pony tail just makes me look really young. Also, they aren't flattering hairstyles on me Thanks for the tips though

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 29, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.