The Student Room Group

Becoming a Lawyer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatAndRevise

You need a qualifying law degree to practice English Law. I don't think a phd counts so you would still need to do the GDL even with a Scots law degree. It's unfortunate but that is just how it is.

Eboracum

1) First of all, how hard is it to get on a GDL/LPC.
The poster Nulli Tertius probably put it best: the test is hard. Hard cash. Both BPP and the University of Law are private equity owned. They want to turn a profit and they will make exceptions if you can give them the cash to pay for the course.

2) How did people pay for these qualifications? Obviously I don't have the money so would need parental help or help from a bank loan.
Most of the people I know (without TCs) fund it via the bank of mum and dad. Bank funding is possible (I believe BPP have a deal with Investec Bank) but it is expensive and on commercial terms, which are less generous than those on your student loan

3) In terms of a Training Contract, how hard are they to get?
For a non-law grad, the 'golden path' is to get a TC in your final year. The firm would pay for your fees (and give you some money to live off) for the GDL and LPC years. How achievable this is kind of depends on you. If you have good A level grades, good degree grades and something interesting (preferably work experience as well) it is quite possible. However, plenty of people have AAA / 2.1 at a Russell Group and no TC. At the end of the day it is at least partly a numbers game: you need to be willing to crank out quality applications.

4) I'm considering doing a three week Law Summer School at the London School Of Economics next Summer to see if I like it, has anybody ever done a Summer School in Law or any short courses and if so what were their impressions?
no idea

5) In terms of solicitors, it doesn't make it a disadvantage if you aren't educated at The University of Oxford or The University of Cambridge does it?
I think it is always an advantage to have gone to either Oxford or Cambridge. They are certainly well represented in the City. However, plenty of people make it in from other top universities so I wouldn't get down about it or re-apply on the basis that it is essential to your chances of success as a solicitor. I don't know enough to comment on the Bar

Hope that helps.
Original post by Asheeers
Only the lawyers who have been to the best uni's and are really smart earn loads - all the others are just average just earning around 40 - 60k

Yes and that's why lawyers are simply elitists, likened to a robot than a thinking individual. Smart in law may be but absurdly stupid when it comes to common sense. A university grade is just an efficient means of filtering, has nothing to do with ability. How could a grade based on a mean score ever truly be a competence standard? Smart, you say?
I believe i have chosen the wrong A-Levels to pursue a career in Law.
The subjects i have chosen are: Maths, Biology, Psychology and BTEC Business.
I don't think i can change them, unless i move school. Are they alright subjects if i wanted to go to Uni for Law?
bump
i am 15 and i want to become a lawyer when i leave school,is there any training i can do just so i understand everything before i ensure this is the job i want to have?
Original post by Lord Hysteria

Becoming a Lawyer

Hello Lawyers,

This guide has been complied for all people who wish to venture into the legal profession and is ‘cut’ into four sections:

Initial Legal Training

Becoming a Solicitor

Becoming a Barrister

Contacts

Initial

[INDENT] A law degree is not a necessary requirement to become a lawyer. There are plenty of non-law graduates joining the profession which means any degree is ‘acceptable’.

As with A-levels, it is important to pick a subject you enjoy and will do well in. The vast majority of firms and chambers stipulate that applicants for pupillage must have a 2.1 or first. Having a 2.2 doesn't put the legal profession out of reach but rather restrict the number of firms and chambers that will consider you.

Bear in mind that in application forms for work experience and pupillage you'll be asked to include your end-of-year grades for your first and second years. This means that your work needs to be of a consistently high standard.

The downside of not studying a law degree is that you’lll have to make up for lost time after graduation by studying for the GDL, which squeezes into one year the seven foundations of legal knowledge, that are compulsory for progressing to the vocational stage of training. This is harder than spreading them out over a three-year law degree and of course involves the added expense of an extra year's study. On the other hand, a different first degree will increase your knowledge and depth of experience outside of the law.

Whether you opt for a law or non-law degree, the seven foundations of legal knowledge that must be studied (and passed!) are:

contract;

tort;

criminal;

equity and trusts;

EU;

land; and

public

[/INDENT]

Becoming[indent] If you decide to take a degree in a subject other than law, you will have to complete a one year full-time (or two years part-time) course leading to the Common Professional Examination or the post-graduate Diploma in Law. The course will give you the basic grounding in law which you need to qualify as a solicitor.

After successful completion of the law degree, or CPE, or Diploma in Law, you will have to undertake the Legal Practice Course, which is the professional training for solicitors. This course takes one academic year, or two years if studied part-time.
Good academic grades are essential. The course teaches the practical application of the law to the needs of clients, and is offered by a number of different colleges and universities.

Having successfully completed the Legal Practice Course, the would-be solicitor has to enter a two year training contract with a firm of solicitors or other approved organisation (such as a local authority or the Crown Prosecution Service), gaining practical experience in a variety of areas of law. At this stage, you will be paid a salary and will be a trainee solicitor. [/indent]

Becoming[indent] "The vocational stage" consists of a one year course: the Bar Vocational Course (BVC). Traditionally the BVC has been available at only one institution, the Inns of Court School of Law in London. However from September 1997 it has been also offered by a few, carefully selected institutions offering the BVC. Applications will be made through a centralised-clearing system known as CACH (Centralised Applications and Clearing House). It is also possible to do the course on a part-time basis over two years.
You should aim to gain as much relevant experience and knowledge as you can during the vocational stage. This might include: debating, mooting , work for a Citizen's Advice Bureau or the Free Representation Unit, attending court, marshalling (shadowing a judge), further mini-pupillages....

Pupillage generally takes one year, although it is split into six-month periods or "sixes". You can choose to do your first and second sixes at two different sets of chambers rather than one if you wish. Neither route guarantees that you will obtain a tenancy. In fact, "third sixes", undertaken by those who fail to become tenants at the first attempt, are becoming increasingly commonplace. At present, there are a small number of pupillages at the employed Bar (that is, work as a legal adviser for an employer; rather than in independent practice).

[INDENT] Where can I do the BVC?
Most courses are full-time but there is some part-time availability as detailed on individual websites. The institutions approved by the Bar Council to offer the BVC are:
BPP Law School London 020 4307 2304
Cardiff Law School Cardiff 029 20 874964
UWE Bristol Bristol 0117 965 626 ext 3769
The College of Law London 0800 289997 Contact: Admissions Office
The Inns of Court School of Law London 020 7404 5787
The University of Northumbria Newcastle 0191 227 3939
The Manchester Metropolitan University Manchester 0161 247 3053
Nottingham Law School Nottingham 0115 848 6871 [/INDENT] [/indent]

General

The Law Society - www.lawsociety.org.uk/ - The professional organisation representing Solicitors in England and Wales.

The Bar Council www.barcouncil.org.uk - The professional organisation representing Barristers in England and Wales

Trainee Solicitors' Group www.tsg.org - The official Trainee Solicitors' Group website including international information.

Chambers and Partners www.chambersandpartners.com - Provides search facility for top law firms and chambers as well as tips on applications and interviews.

The College of Law http://www.college-of-law.co.uk/ - Has excellent articles on a range of areas including overcoming perceived disadvantages to what recruiters are looking for.

LCAN www.lcan.org.uk/ - The law careers advice network providing information and advice.

LawCareers.Net www.lawcareers.net - Another general legal careers website, produced in association with the Trainee Solicitors Group.

Legal 500 www.legal500.com/index.php - Lists and ranks top law firms in the UK and worldwide.

Prospects Legal - www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Law/p!ejmIL - Careers information including details on vacation placements, pupillages, mini-pupillages and training contracts.

Target Law Zone www.targetlawzone.com - Information on law firms and training contracts.

totallylegal.com www.totallylegal.com - A legal recruitment website that includes tips on applications and CVs.

Black Lawyers Directory www.onlinebld.com/index.html - Aims to highlight, promote and champion diversity within the legal profession.

The Law Centres Federation www.lawcentres.org.uk - Information on public funded legal services. Explains what law centres do, the areas of law they are involved in and details work experience and vacancy opportunities.

Its such good information how to become a lawyer and what will keep in mind for lawyer.

Quick Reply

Latest