The Student Room Group

Ive had enough...

Hey guys, ive been working at sainsburys since christmas time and i must say i have had enough of the place. They always give me early shifts as in 5 or 6 am and the work is too labour intensive for me. Now to the point of this thread, i want to work somewhere like odeon or even gaming places like Game or CEX. Just wanted to check if anyone works in these kinda stores. If yes then how is working there? whats the pay like? Is it stressfull etc...
Any kinda info would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Instead of moving jobs, why don't you have a word with the store manager and see if you could have more flexible working hours?
Reply 2
Grow-up. Everyone dreams of jobs in Game, or whatever, very few have them. I would love a 5am shift,
Reply 3
Unlike urself i dont like 5am shifts. If u dont have anything helpful to say then dont post. Have u even worked at a supermarket mate, if u dont finish stacking the shelves with the days delivery, then the managers start complaining. Then halfway through ur work they call u to checkouts and u spend a good hour there and then they complain again for not finishing the delivery. Im finding it hard to deal with.
Reply 4
HNKS88
Unlike urself i dont like 5am shifts. If u dont have anything helpful to say then dont post. Have u even worked at a supermarket mate, if u dont finish stacking the shelves with the days delivery, then the managers start complaining. Then halfway through ur work they call u to checkouts and u spend a good hour there and then they complain again for not finishing the delivery. Im finding it hard to deal with.

I sympathise, I used to work in a supermarket. Supermarket managers are a breed all of their own it seems, they were all exactly like you described at my store!

To be honest, I'm not sure working in a cinema would be all that much better, from what I've heard. Although the hours will be more civilised (they're not open at 5am!) and it's often better pay than shop work. If you really hate your current job that much, there's not much point in staying there. Life is too short. I guess all you can really do is apply everywhere you can and see what comes of it. If the shop is selling something you're actually interested in, you're bound to like it more than where you are right now.
Reply 5
Gotta be honest, that's the real world. Sainsbury's are pretty easy in comparison to alot of stores.

In GAME/CEX, you have to stack shelves, stock take, go on tills etc. Far much more responsibility.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies. I did hear that smaller stores put more responsibilities on each individual but if its something ill enjoy then i dont really mind, together with better managers and hours.
Reply 7
Just to let you know, game stores arent as great as they may seem. Its VERY intensive and stressful when busy, you have to run about to find game and products all the time while people are waiting and getting pissed. And then alot of time you cant find it so you are pissed, and then they are even more pissed for waiting.

Its not like the holy grail of student jobs!
Reply 8
Then leave and move on. Working in supermarkets is **** anyway

Latest