The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont really see why everyone complains about this course so much, when you compare it to chemistry it is a walk in the park which is nice because i would have had a break down by now if all my subjects were as hard as chemistry. Ok the textbook is rubbish but the content of the course i think is pretty good in general just not conveyed in a great way, the coursework is a pain but once it is done it gives you a bit of leeway for the exams. All in all i dont really mind it too much.
Anonymous1783
I dont really see why everyone complains about this course so much, when you compare it to chemistry it is a walk in the park which is nice because i would have had a break down by now if all my subjects were as hard as chemistry. Ok the textbook is rubbish but the content of the course i think is pretty good in general just not conveyed in a great way, the coursework is a pain but once it is done it gives you a bit of leeway for the exams. All in all i dont really mind it too much.

Hmm which chemistry course are you doing? TBH I liked my chemistry course (OCR Salters) much more than Advancing Physics. I also found it much easier than physics although there is more to memorise.

Does anyone find the past papers really stupid (2863 and the synoptic)? You can pretty much figure out the answer without knowing most of the physics behind it.
Reply 82
AdvancedWave
Hmm which chemistry course are you doing? TBH I liked my chemistry course (OCR Salters) much more than Advancing Physics. I also found it much easier than physics although there is more to memorise.

Does anyone find the past papers really stupid (2863 and the synoptic)? You can pretty much figure out the answer without knowing most of the physics behind it.

all depends on the person, i really enjoy my chemistry (aqa) but i hate this physics i'd of much rather done straight physics
Reply 83
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for the actual exams (rather than the exams +coursework) for the A2 exams.

And did the teachers at your school check your coursework as we just handed ours in for it to be marked i.e we weren't allowed to hand in drafts or anything.
We couldnt hand in drafts either i thought it was the schools policy but must be the same for the whole course.
Reply 85
Anonymous1783
We couldnt hand in drafts either i thought it was the schools policy but must be the same for the whole course.

I thought it was our schools policy too. Though I met someone on an open day who said he was able to hand in a draft.
Reply 86
We handed in drafts and drafts till we got it right
Reply 87
I handed in a draft, but the teacher never went over it, so some what pointless.
Reply 88
we wern't allowed drafts either. apparently if we showed them anything on paper they'd have to accept it as the real thing. >_>

they also said that the ultimate deadline for the coursework was months ago. such obviously lies.

those who got to hand in drafts for criticism and improvement had a huge advantage frankly.
Reply 89
yeah :smile:
From 20 to 36 was a huge improvement. But i thought this was a universal thing and everyone could do it.
Reply 90
REALLY STUCK ON THIS QUESTION -
Have a look at June 2006, Clockwork universe, Question 9 a) ii

Thanks.
Reply 91
Does anyone have any idea how the UMS points work? Looking at an exam report i can see where the boundaries, but it says for paper 2863 that the max raw mark is 127 and for 2864 it's 119.

Where do those values come from?!?? Papers are out of 70 each, courseworks out of 40 (i thought).

Also which cswk goes with which exam?
Reply 92
Darkad1
REALLY STUCK ON THIS QUESTION -
Have a look at June 2006, Clockwork universe, Question 9 a) ii

Thanks.

oh did that one yesterday.

It's not too bad that bit actually. At the distance of 15 x10^10 draw a tangent to the curve.

Then just draw a triangle to this line (so the line you just drew is the hypotenuse) read some changes in y (remember the scale is 10^8 and stuff) and changes in x. And then the gradient is just change in y over change in x.
Reply 93
tangent just means a line that will juuust touch the curve at a certain point. Get a ruler, and draw a line to the point so that the slopes are the same on your ruler and as on that part of the curve.
Reply 94
Best of luck everybody, for tomorrow :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 95
gd luck everyone... heres hoping i can pull 50% in each paper out my ass
Reply 96
you only need 50%?

I'm hoping to get >80% just to make the synoptic easier, that's in a horrible week and i hate the explaining questions it will ask.
Reply 97
Best wishes to those doing the exam this morning :biggrin:

Is it true that both Clockwork Universe and FPP are this morning? Because I know a mate who is doing both :s-smilie:

Personally I'm doing FPP, I hate motors! I just hope I can pull off like 80% -_- Laaame
Reply 98
so how did everone find it?

yeah some schools, like mine annoyingly, don't do january a2 modules... they like to build up the tension for the summer months. both papers were today.

went alright i think. Rise and Fall was the harder of the two for me just because it was unexpectedly long. Feel quite confident i would have averaged about 80% hopefully in the two so i can probably only need half marks on the synoptic. thatd be nice.
Reply 99
I'm glad you also said Clockwork was long, because I barely finished. Got to the end but I did leave that 4 mark Q on weightlessness which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the syllabus..

Field and Particle was sooo easy I thought.. but I'm better at that side of the course and I had plenty of time. I did realise though that in the question of working out the kinetic energy of the Pd's I had to divide by e to get eV and in the exam I got confused and thought because I multiplied MV by e it was already in eV but I forgot that e was in joules.. Ah well