The Student Room Group
Reply 1
University exams tend to be answer 3 questions in 3 hours. None of this 6 marks for question 1, 15 marks for question 2 and 30 marks for question 3 using sources A-E

Some university history exams may have sources for gobbet analysis but I know mine never did. That was far more common in smaller essays.

You're looking at sitting down, turning the paper over and seeing 10 questions and you do however many you have to. That's it. You're basically writing mini essays without the references and bibliography.
Reply 2
Wow 3 hours! I don't think I can last that long without food.
It varies from module to module.

Newcastle Uni its 45 minute per Essay sometimes there is a multiple choice section if you do alot of specific case studies in a module.

I had 4 essays in 3 hours yesterday, but on Friday I have 3 Questions in 1 hr 30?

But unlike A-Level there not really a right way to answer the questions set, you just have to demonstrate your academic ability.
Reply 4
I may be taking on more than I can chew. I have problems writing an essay in an hour but 4 essays in 3 hours!
Reply 5
You're looking at 45mins an essay - 5/6 sides depending on how fast you write. It's not as bad as it seems and they're looking at your ability to write academically under pressure and time constraint, not an actual essay
Reply 6
Totally different - it's not like A Level when you know that the examiner is expecting to see certain things in your essay because there's a fixed mark scheme.
Mine all seem to be 2 essays in 2 hours. And yeah, there's a choice of (usually) 5-10 questions, which makes it a bit easier as you can more or less pick 2-3 topics to revise. And like River said, there's no set mark scheme so its completely up to you to make what you can out of the question.
Reply 8
Usually 3 questions in 3 hours for me. As there is no fixed scheme you need to revise by going through the reading lists and orientating your knowledge of the different topics in the way you think would make you get the best mark. More challenging but also much more interesting than A-level exams.
Extra marks for historiography + quotations from primary sources obviously
Just a question to add to this : If for example you were including statistics on say grain production in Russia, would you be expected to quote the source along side the figures? Same for any primary source I guess, would you need to reference it in the essay body?

How many sources would you be expected to quote in each essay? Ok, maybe not expected, but to increase your grade?

When do you find out how you've done in the exams? Is it the next academic year?

Many thanks

X
Reply 10
No, you don't need to quote sources for statistics (not at Durham at any rate). Exam essays are about argument - you aren't expected to produce the same level of scholarship that you would in an essay because the exam isn't simply designed to test your recall skills.
You have a lot more flexibility at university level - in fact, tutors like to see ingenuity and original arguments. Whereas with A levels there tend to be 'right' and 'wrong' answers, which are fairly rigid.
Milady de Winter
You have a lot more flexibility at university level - in fact, tutors like to see ingenuity and original arguments. Whereas with A levels there tend to be 'right' and 'wrong' answers, which are fairly rigid.

Seconded. If you are able to establish with your lecturers/tutors that you know what you are doing and can meet their requirements they will be far more tolerant of your fishing expeditions, impertinent wanderings and even the occasions you (inevitably) fall flat when tempting the height of arts. The university level allows for a higher ceiling and a much more flexible relationship with your subject, that is part of its appeal.

Latest

Trending

Trending