The Student Room Group

Mathematics with a year abroad? France?

I'm thinking about doing a degree where you go abroad, espically one that goes to France. However, I have a few problems.

I don't speak French, which means I have a language barrier.

Anyway, do they instantly reject you from the year abroad course if you don't speak the langauge.

I was thinking about Germany, however I'm half caste. So is Germany racist? I read that it is still really xenophobic and historically speaking, Hitler and Nazis would suggest a really racist country.

Also, what country is better at mathematics, France or Germany?

What about the money, do you have to work, or does the student loan cover it. As I don't plan to work at university as it will be a distraction, espically studying a subject like mathematics.

P.S. Is it true that to become an professional mathematician, espically in pure maths, that you have to move to America or abroad to get a job at a university. I read that most professional mathematician move to America, as they have more freedom and there is more jobs.
Reply 1
1) Have you done French GCSE? Most universities offer language courses to prepare you for your year abroad. But I don't think knowing the basics of the language is a requirements per se.

2) No they do not reject you, but you'll have to convince the comitee that you have what it takes to do well in your year abroad.

3) Of course not, Germany's not racist.

4) Both France and Germany have a long history of mathematical excellence. You should consider other aspects when choosing between Germand and France.

5) It depends. Will you be applying for a year abroad through the ERASMUS scheme? If so, you will be getting maintenance grants and free tuition from your host university. If you're not with this scheme, ask the relevant member of you department who's in charge of this.

6) To become a "professional" mathematician, you need a PhD. It doesn't matter whether it's in the UK or in the US. Now regarding salaries, it's obvious that they are significantly higher in the States.

Latest